1.    #1  
    I installed AvantGo on my Treo 300 last night for the first time. One cool thing about Vision data being always connected is that AvantGo turns into a regular web browser like Blazer.

But what really blew me away was when I started surfing around using AvantGo. Pages that normally took 30 - 40 seconds to download and display in Blazer take only seconds!! Anybody else had a similar experiance? I'm not talking about the sites I've synced with AvantGo, I'm talking about websites that I visit live by entering their URL. They download and display at incredible speeds!

Lastly, I'm assuming that using AvantGo to browse the web is perfectly normal and part of my unlimited data plan, correct? I'd hate to think I can now browse the web at ungodly speeds but I'll be charged in some way for it.
    how did you get avantgo on your palm, please explain
    i have the software on my palm do you mind me asking how you were able to configure it?
    You need an AvantGo account and libmal and AGConnect. Go to AG Connect and type in sync.avantgo.com for your server, then your username and pwd. This is REALLY faster than Blazer, or Xiino, at least on the sites I've tried it on so far. Problem is, it won't open pages that are larger than its size limit. Any ideas?
    up and running and loving it!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!
    this is interesting, but I really want to know if it costs extra
    I've used avantgo for years and found it very unstable on the treo (especially on the 300) and find the wireless instant browsing to be VERY slow for some reason.... the constant crashing (possibly conflicting with the excellent vindigo) annoyed me... I found a EXCELLENT alternative called plucker...

as for wireless browsing I find xiino can't be beat

strictly offline and takes longer to configure but... very good interface, no channel size limits and you can schedule a sync to happen at off hours and ready to copy down to your palm.

Also takes less space on the treo as it compresses all the pages.

http://www.plkr.org/index.plkr

thanks

BT
    Why would it cost extra? If it's data, it shouldn't matter to Sprint which browser you're using. Case in point, the excellent Xiino. Or am I missing something? I don't think AG charges eitherů
  9.    #10  
    You might be right, it may not matter, but the truth is that only the people in these forums can give me an educated answer to these kinds of questions. Sprint reps sure as heck don't know so I thought I would ask.

Another question I've always had but felt unsure about is since I have the unlimited Vision plan, does that mean I can keep data connected all day (two grey arrows above the signal meter) and it doesn't take away from my voice minutes? I think I can, but I want to be sure.

Finally, I'll give Xiino a try tonight. I've heard a lot of praise for it.
    Last edited by ckohler; 11/19/2002 at 02:08 PM.
    AvantGo is a totally free app supported via the brief ads you see. In no way does use of Blazer, AvantGo, Eudora or any data based app take away from your pool of voice minutes with SPCS.
    Well, I tried Avantgo and I must say it does seem to load pages faster. I'll have to time a few to see for sure.

A few major things I noticed were that

- my network connection got stuck after I loaded a few pages (the hot and drain battery issue). This is the first time this has happened to me and I have quite a few apps installed.

- Some pages are too big to load

- I couldn't find a way of adding bookmarks. Is there a way to do this that I missed?

- And is there a way to make it not sync with the desktop when you do a hotsync?
    Last edited by slffl; 11/19/2002 at 04:04 PM.
    Originally posted by ckohler
    You might be right, it may not matter, but the truth is that only the people in these forums can give me an educated answer to these kinds of questions. Sprint reps sure as heck don't know so I thought I would ask.

Another question I've always had but felt unsure about is since I have the unlimited Vision plan, does that mean I can keep data connected all day (two grey arrows above the signal meter) and it doesn't take away from my voice minutes? I think I can, but I want to be sure.

Finally, I'll give Xiino a try tonight. I've heard a lot of praise for it.
    I'm a rep who knows a heck of a lot , you're fine. Data is data, Sprint doesn't care where it came from or how much you use. The cable company doesn't care what kind of television you have to view TV programs, nor does Sprint care about what browser you use to view the web.

Unlimited means just that, unlimited. Leave the little gray arrows connected as long as you want/can. The network will automaitcally disconnect you after 2 hours of inactivity though. Just an FYI.
  13.    #14  
    Thank you, howensby! I really appreciate your response. And sorry about the bad rep jab. The first rep I spoke to told me I couldn't even use Vision with this phone so it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Now I can finally leave my data connected all the time with some peice of mind. Thanks again.
    Originally posted by ckohler
    Thank you, howensby! I really appreciate your response. And sorry about the bad rep jab. The first rep I spoke to told me I couldn't even use Vision with this phone so it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Now I can finally leave my data connected all the time with some peice of mind. Thanks again.
    No worries, I know what you go through. I bump into those geniuses sometimes too. Have fun surfing.
    Doesn't really seem any faster to me, except on AvantGo-enhanced sites which basically are 'light' versions.