1.    #1  
    I have noticed that the biggest drain on the battery after using the treo as a phone is when it is in a no signal zone for a long time.

What must happen is that it is constantly trying to find a signal and this uses up alot of power.

A great utility or hack would be a program that allowed you to tweak how often it looks for a signal when it is disconnected (ie every 1, 5, 10, 15 ,30, 45, 60 minutes.

The user would set it to the setting that suits the situation:
    1. don't care too much for battery life but don't want to miss calls or
    2. don't care if I miss the odd call but want best life possible

You can do this manually by disabling the phone, but the problem then is that you need to wait systematically for the phone to register to the network before making a call.

Any programers reading this?
    That would be nice.

Two things you can do in the meantime to reduce power usage are (1) make sure data is disconnected when you're not using it, it seems to use more power hunting for signal than the phone itself, and (2) turn off digital roaming, so it won't search other frequencies.

Hope this helps.
    --invention is the mother of necessity
    If you don't use your iR port much, turn your Beam Receive off, I hear that helps save some battery.
    Lowering the screen brightness has done wonders for improving the battery life of my Treo 300.
    Totally agree with skfny. Battery life went from less than 1 day to up to 2 days.

Whenever I'm in bright sunlight I turn the brightness up, but I very rarely have to do this (maybe due to the autumn ... ;-) )
    i hate to ask this , but how do you dim it?
  7.    #7  
    Blue key + Q
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Mol
    [B]Totally agree with skfny. Battery life went from less than 1 day to up to 2 days.

Just had my 300 for a few days, need to recharge every night even if only a few minutes of phone usage during the day. So does this mean HS's advertized 5 days of standby time is false advertizement?
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by tuannmai
    Originally posted by Mol
    Just had my 300 for a few days, need to recharge every night even if only a few minutes of phone usage during the day. So does this mean HS's advertized 5 days of standby time is false advertizement?
    There are so many factors that affect battery life, especially signal strength. Of course a figure of pure standby time means you don't turn on the device at all. There is nothing in your stated experiences that lead to me to conclude the advertising was misleading or the device is faulty.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    As a test, my Treo 300 lasted just over 8 days on a full battery charge. This is with barely using the PDA and less than 10 minutes of phone calls during that week (all incoming with ringer off), I was trying not to use it at all. (I get two bars of signal strength at home.)

The Treo never turned off wireless mode, even when "extremely low battery" messages would pop up.

Eventually, the Treo wouldn't turn on, I figured I had lost all my data/info - which I was expecting since that is typical Palm when the battery dies.

But, the Treo kept enough reserve power to retain all the memory even though it wouldn't turn on, so nothing was lost. It would have been interesting to know how long the reserve would have lasted.

Overall, it lasted much longer than I expected. Now I will have to try it with "normal" usage.