1.    #1  
    After trying all other mail apps (Eudora, Inbox-to-go, Treomail, Aileron, Multimail, Papimail, Snappermail, Basejet) I installed today the new version of Mark/Space Mail (v. 1.0.2, no beta). This is certainly the best mail app for my needs.

Though it has no attachment support (I don't need this), it has all other features I expect from a mail client :
    - multiple POP3 accounts
    - get new mail right from POP3 server
    - automatic check for new messages
    - audio alert when new mail arrives
    - filters
    It seems that it doesn't support IMAP accounts, or did I miss something?
    No mention of it at markspace.com .
    Too bad, since it looks good otherwise.
    Mm.
  3.    #3  
    No, no IMAP accounts. But I don't need it.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    I agree it's a good basic e-mail -- everything you wanted in the next eudora. However, I found that my treo was running down the battery after I used it. My solution was to have it automatically disconnect after getting e-mail. What I think is happening is that it is maintaining the connection to the internet so that the treo thinks it is downloading/uploading and uses power to do so.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    does anyone know of a good "email attachment" program? Preferably under $30.00??? What I want to do is email photos that I take w/ my Eye Module 2 camera from my Prism using my xircom modem. I know "ninelocks" offers a program that does allows you do this (you can find it on the eyemodule web site), but it requires "multi-mail pro" (i think that's what it's called)... which is like a $60 program! Ninelocks offers a converter that converts EM2 photos to jpg format, it's just the email attachment program that I am missing! Any ideas, help would be appreciated!
    thanks
    same here tried many e-clients and I find mark/space the best e-mail around.
    I've been wavering between M/S Mail and SnapperMail now. The price of SnapperMail is what has me using M/S Mail at the moment (well, that and I've already purchased M/S Mail), but the JPG attachments feature of SnapperMail is very nice.

Once I get my 270 instead of my 180 and see how the images look in color, I'll decide if I want to buy SnapperMail.
    Originally posted by eric2002
    does anyone know of a good "email attachment" program? Preferably under $30.00??? What I want to do is email photos that I take w/ my Eye Module 2 camera from my Prism using my xircom modem. I know "ninelocks" offers a program that does allows you do this (you can find it on the eyemodule web site), but it requires "multi-mail pro" (i think that's what it's called)... which is like a $60 program! Ninelocks offers a converter that converts EM2 photos to jpg format, it's just the email attachment program that I am missing! Any ideas, help would be appreciated!
    thanks
    I believe SnapperMail is the only e-mail app that can work with attachments from RAM. Other mail apps work with attachments, but require them to be contained in a VFS card or other expansion card, which often negates the ability to use the modem. Kind of silly, eh? Snappermail copies the file into RAM into its messages database, so you can then remove the VFS media and insert your comm device (like a bluetooth, wifi, or modem module/card ;-) and send the e-mail, attachment and all.

And, everything except Filter support is in the latest beta of SnapperMail. Filters will be coming with IMAP support at some point down the road.

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Tried Mark/Space and removed it. The thing I don't like is that it won't send out mail when you press send. Very stupid decision. Instead, the mail goes to outbox. Seems it won't be sent even during a scheduled retrieve.

Also the scheduled retrieve only worked once. I don't know why it stopped working.

I use Eudora with Yahoo mail. The only thing missing is automatic email checking. Yahoo provides SMS notification of emails. Not very reliable since I started using it about a week ago. But most notifications arrive in less than 10 minutes.

Another reason against frequent checking of your email is that if your Treo is using data connection, even GPRS, phone calls will go to your voicemail. I tried to call myself when Eurora is retrieving my mail and got voicemail.
    Last edited by bluesky; 12/15/2002 at 09:26 PM.
    Originally posted by bluesky
    Another reason against frequent checking of your email is that if your Treo is using data connection, even GPRS, phone calls will go to your voicemail. I tried to call myself when Eurora is retrieving my mail and got voicemail.

That's true for CSD calls (when you dialup to your ISP with the built-in modem) and 1xRTT (CDMA 2000), but not for GPRS. Well, at least it's not supposed to be according to Handspring. I have the GPRS update, but no GPRS service to test with to know first hand. With GPRS, if you're in the MIDDLE (i.e. in the actual process of downloading data), then the Treo should alert you that there is an incoming call. You then have the option to take the call and pause the data transfer, or continue with the data transfer and route the call to voicemail. This is not the case with CSD, since the line is just plain busy, and apparently it's not the case with 1xRTT either, according to Handspring. Both of those cases would send the caller to voice mail whether you want them to or not. though I believe that with 1xRTT, if you're not actually downloading data, the call will come through.

Has your experience shown differently?
    -Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Originally posted by bluesky
    Tried Mark/Space and removed it. The thing I don't like is that it won't send out mail when you press send. Very stupid decision. Instead, the mail goes to outbox. Seems it won't be sent even during a scheduled retrieve.

Also the scheduled retrieve only worked once. I don't know why it stopped working.
    Mark/Space Mail will send queued mail during a periodic check (I just checked the code). If you haven't downloaded the latest version in the last few days, I suggest you do that (a new beta version was posted last week). This new version should fix issues with periodic checking.

As for not sending email immediately, I don't believe it is a stupid decision. It takes a lot more time to establish the connection wirelessly than it does on the desktop. Many people like to write a few messages and then send them all out at once. If you want to send it immediately, hit Send, then press and hold the Send/Receive button, choose Send Mail. While this is an extra step, it really doesn't take that much extra time.
    Originally posted by hlazar
    I agree it's a good basic e-mail -- everything you wanted in the next eudora. However, I found that my treo was running down the battery after I used it. My solution was to have it automatically disconnect after getting e-mail. What I think is happening is that it is maintaining the connection to the internet so that the treo thinks it is downloading/uploading and uses power to do so.
    Definitely download the latest beta version that was posted last week. I think it solves many (if not most) of the battery drain issues.
    Well.. I'm ready to give e-mail a try now. My needs are GPRS w ATTBI. I have read about others liking Eudora. 2 questions...where do you get it for free and is JP Mobile one touch a consideration given my requirements ?
    I'm a paid, registered user of Markspace, and like it alot. But I just paid for Snappermail. Here's why.

With Markspace, about one time in four, I would get an error message on send. No outgoing mail after the mail that provoked the error message would be sent--the program just hangs. I would have to send over and over again to clear this logjam from my outbox (eventually, the offending message would go through, and the other messages 'behind' it in the outbox could also go through). I found this really intolerable--wasted a lot of my time. I wrote to Markspace tech support, and was told that this would be referred to the engineers.

Snappermail takes such problems in its stride--it continues executing, sends all the outbound email that can be sent, and offers an error log. This is fine for me, because any message that wouldn't make it out the gate the first time will go eventually, without stopping other messages from going. Maybe it's just my ISP that is flaky, but Snappermail works better for me.

It's too bad that Markspace has this problem, because I like it better in most ways than Snappermail (particularly, the ability to send contacts and tasks, and to use groups of addresses--although I'll admit that Markspace handles the address database painfully slowly).
    Kami
    I've been using M/S Mail for a few weeks and it has been mostly great. Over the last few days, however, after completing an email download it has automatically performed a soft reset on my Treo 300.

Or the I get the dreaded message "MemoryMgr.c,Line:4450,Invalidchunk ptr" and then I'm forced to press the reset button. Anyone got any ideas if this is the result of another program interfering or if its a flaw in M/S Mail itself?

I've been running the latest version and paid for the program as well, so its registered. Sometimes it executes flawlessly, other times, soft reset city. What gives?

---------------

James Landrith
    http://www.jameslandrith.com