Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am also a bit confused about the jog dial. I should probably have started using it before I installed Power Jog so I could have gotten a better idea of what Handspring intended but I didn't.

I like the way the Jog Dial makes many operations, even with Blazer, somewhat one-handed, but it is not intuitive. I don't feel confident about when and where it will operate, and when and where it won't. It also has a funny gritty feel to its operation rather than a smooth or slick operative feel, like maybe I might break it if I pushed or rotated it in the wrong way.

I wonder whether a more proficient Jog dial user can address these issues and post some clues and advice here for best use of the Jog dial.

Regards,

NateS

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Huh? Gritty? Take it back. Mine feels smooth. Works great.

And I haven't noticed inconsistencies among apps. What are some examples?
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by skidoo
    Huh? Gritty? Take it back. Mine feels smooth. Works great.

And I haven't noticed inconsistencies among apps. What are some examples?
    For me to respond that way would require my assuming that I'm right and Handspring is wrong in the choices they made with respect to the Jog Dial. I don't assume that at all. I admit my ignorance. What I would be grateful for is for someone to walk me through a step-by-step example of starting and completing a typical task one-handedly, using the Jog Dial instead of the stylus. And I'm sure I'm not alone in my partial bewilderment.

I am assuming that this is doable. Otherwise, it would seem silly to be holding the stylus in one hand, jumping back and forth between jog dial and stylus in performing a series of steps in a task.

(This would leave the stylus hand free to hit keyboard keys when needed of course, in conjunction with the jog dial use by the opposite hand.)

I'm assuming that the purpose of the jog dial is to enable many tasks to be performed from start to finish without ever removing the stylus from its silo. Am I in error here?

Regards,

Nate
    One thing I find odd that reduces the usefulness of the jog is that it does doesn't have a delayed auto-repeat function like a keyboard does. On a keyboard, if you hold a key for longer than half a sec or so, it repeats it a bunch of times. I'd expect the same from the jog dial when scrolling through lists. But it doesn't. I pull down and hold.... and it just goes once.

To go through lists, even the speed dial list, I have to keep wiggling the jog dial up and down.. which I find somewhat annoying/tedious. I usually just end up opening the lid and tapping with my fingernail.

Maybe there's a hack to add in autorepeat on the jog dial? I've tried with and without powerjog..
    Hmm, just figured out.. it DOES auto-repeat when the lid is open. But when the lid is closed, it only goes one at a time... why?

I use the jog dial most when the lid is closed, and that's when I rely on autorepeat..
    It does not auto repeat with the lid closed and it does auto repeat with the lid open!
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ght=speed+dial
    hmm - well, I've tested the Jog Dial auto-repeat mode, with lid both open and closed, and no go. I have PowerJog - could that be culprit?
    (note that the scroll rocker doesn't repeat either, with the lid open or closed, for me)
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by NateS

What I would be grateful for is for someone to walk me through a step-by-step example of starting and completing a typical task one-handedly, using the Jog Dial instead of the stylus.
    . . .
    I'm assuming that the purpose of the jog dial is to enable many tasks to be performed from start to finish without ever removing the stylus from its silo. Am I in error here?
    I still need help on this - It seems like I end up running through a task using both the jog dial AND the stylus, because I can't figure out how to get all the steps in any typical task done solely using the jog dial, without the stylus. Even though I have Power Jog.

Anyone care to step in with a step-by-step mini tutorial? (Or point me towards a good one?

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Uhh.... Well, here's the most obvious benefit of the jog dial:

1. Flip open lid.

2. PULL DOWN on the jog dial to scroll to one of your speed dial buttons.

3. PRESS the jog dial to make your call.

One hand.
    That's all I use the jog dial for too.

Maybe provide an example of what task you are doing, and if there is a way to perform that with JUST the jog dial, someone till try to help.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by Appleman
    That's all I use the jog dial for too.

Maybe provide an example of what task you are doing, and if there is a way to perform that with JUST the jog dial, someone till try to help.
    Okay - first example/question:

How can I use the jog dial as a Back Button in Blazer?

Shouldn't it be a one-step process, just sqeezing in on the dial, rotatating to the desired Back item and squeezing in again?

I can't find a "Back" in the pop-up jog dial menu, and instead have to go through the convoluted process of first going through the jog dial menu to "Menu" and then using jog dial again to rotate through Blazer's menu. Seems like way too many steps for a back button command, doesn't it?

Regards,

Nates

I like the way the Jog Dial makes many operations, even with Blazer, somewhat one-handed, but it is not intuitive. I don't feel confident about when and where it will operate, and when and where it won't.
    I agree. Handspring seems to underutilize the Rocker/Volume Switch (the official name) vs. how Sony uses the Jog Dial on its CLIÉs. For instance, why can't you use the RVS to select applications to run? Even if an app. is set up for one-handed use, you can't get to it without using two hands.

It's too bad Palm hasn't had a one-handed navigation method in place from early on. Since it doesn't, different licensees have come up with their own methods, Handspring the RVS, Sony the JD, and now Palm the 5-Way Navigation Button (in the new Tungstens). With all these different (and newish) methods, it's not surprising that application support isn't better. (I'd love to be able to step through data entry fields in HanDBase without having to tap the screen, for instance.)

It also has a funny gritty feel to its operation rather than a smooth or slick operative feel, like maybe I might break it if I pushed or rotated it in the wrong way.
    I would not characterize mine as gritty. May be something wrong with yours.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    I'd love to be able to step through data entry fields in HanDBase without having to tap the screen, for instance.
    I just finished my first day w/treo300 on the job. I enter a lot of numeric data in HanDBase and found myself using the blue key alot. Do you know of ANY database program that is treo thumbpad friendly such that if you put the cursor in a number field (real or integer) it will interpret y through m as numbers, not letters. I can recreate my databases easily and would gladly switch to have this kind of functionality.
    Last edited by drw; 12/03/2002 at 10:13 PM.
    David
    Originally posted by drw
    I just finished my first day w/treo300 on the job. I enter a lot of numeric data in HanDBase and found myself using the blue key alot. Do you know of ANY database program that is treo thumbpad friendly such that if you put the cursor in a number field (real or integer) it will interpret y through m as numbers, not letters. I can recreate my databases easily and would gladly switch to have this kind of functionality.
    Yeah, I miss that feature too. I tried all the major database programs out there before I settled on HanDBase, but unfortunately I didn't check for that feature. In my case, I needed a database that would let me set up filters to show only records with time fields newer or older than a certain value. Only two databases supported this (I forget the other one), but HanDBase had a much nicer date/time entry method, plus other very useful stuff.

Okay - first example/question:

How can I use the jog dial as a Back Button in Blazer?

I can't find a "Back" in the pop-up jog dial menu, and instead have to go through the convoluted process of first going through the jog dial menu to "Menu" and then using jog dial again to rotate through Blazer's menu. Seems like way too many steps for a back button command, doesn't it?
    Yes, it is convoluted. The other way is to select 'button' from the jog dial menu, and rotate to the back button.
    Originally posted by jshrieve

Yes, it is convoluted. The other way is to select 'button' from the jog dial menu, and rotate to the back button.
    The backspace button on the thumboard mimics the back button in blazer. It may not be a one handed solution, but it doesn't involve the stylus.
    David
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Yeah, I miss that feature too. I tried all the major database programs out there before I settled on HanDBase, but unfortunately I didn't check for that feature. In my case, I needed a database that would let me set up filters to show only records with time fields newer or older than a certain value. Only two databases supported this (I forget the other one), but HanDBase had a much nicer date/time entry method, plus other very useful stuff.
    You previously meantioned the desire to scroll between fields with rocker. I read on the handbase web site that the latest version (3) can do this. Even accounts for checkboxes. I have avoided v.3 because I read it was slow, but I might give it a try.
    David
    Originally posted by drw
    You previously meantioned the desire to scroll between fields with rocker. I read on the handbase web site that the latest version (3) can do this. Even accounts for checkboxes. I have avoided v.3 because I read it was slow, but I might give it a try.
    Any idea where on the site you saw that? I'm running version 3 ("v3.0g2" according to my About screen), dated "11/6/2002", which is the latest version available (at Handango, at least -- presumably the same directly from DDH), and it does not have this capability.

Perhaps you misread something. The manual says:
    You can also press the up and down buttons on your handheld device, or use the Jog Wheel if equipped, to scroll up or down a page at a time.
    That does work, but there's no Preference to change the Rocker/Volume Switch to scroll a field at a time.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I've wondered why the jog dial doesn't just mimic the up/down keys. For example, you can't use it to respond to ok/cancel dialogs like you can with the buttons. Just that feature would increase one-handed utility by a lot.
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by rfg17
    I've wondered why the jog dial doesn't just mimic the up/down keys. For example, you can't use it to respond to ok/cancel dialogs like you can with the buttons. Just that feature would increase one-handed utility by a lot.
    Boy, that hits the nail on the head! It is so frustrating to have to pull out the stylus every time you get an OK or cancel button, just to clear the screen!

Regards,

NateS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast