Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My only criticism of my Treo 300 is that I don't understand why it should take two hands to answer the phone when it rings. It seems to me that a push-in button or lever could be added which would cause the lid to spring open when depressed.

it seems silly and frustrating to be able to grab the phone out of a pocket or pouch with one hand, but then require a second hand to grab the side lips to pull the lid open, while the phone rings and rings.

Regards,

NateS

LOL...In that case there's a possiblity of your Treo flying out of your hand!
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Dont really know how big your hands are but i think mine are average and have no problems what so ever opening mine with one hand. I use my thumb to flip the cover open and BINGO. Personally I think the phone has other down falls than not being able to open with one hand. Like no expansion slot, OS 3.5, etc.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by damigs
    Dont really know how big your hands are but i think mine are average and have no problems what so ever opening mine with one hand. I use my thumb to flip the cover open and BINGO. Personally I think the phone has other down falls than not being able to open with one hand. Like no expansion slot, OS 3.5, etc.
    How do you do that?

I just held the phone in my right hand, and my thumb is up on the right side at the top almost alongisde the antenna stub. How do you get that thumb to flip the lid open while holding it in the same hand?

NateS
    I open mine, always with, one hand. But the thumb is only there for moral support. I use my ring finger to flip the lid up. The phone doesn't stop ringing / get answered until the cover is up quite a ways so even if you fumble you don't disconnect the caller.

Dunc
    ... I dont' know about anyone else reading this but I picture everyone trying to open their Treo with one hand (I know I tried!). heh.

L - MyTreo300
    Originally posted by NateS

How do you do that?

I just held the phone in my right hand, and my thumb is up on the right side at the top almost alongisde the antenna stub. How do you get that thumb to flip the lid open while holding it in the same hand?

NateS
    NateS - I always open the lid with my right
    thumb, although I can see the ring finger
    technique working too. When I take my Treo out
    of my belt holster, I have it in my hand as if
    my hand was a claw. I hold the Treo face up, my
    index finger on the upper right corner, my
    middle finger on the upper left corner, my ring
    finger in the middle of the left side, and my
    pinky on the lower left corner. Thus, my thumb
    is perfectly positioned. My thumb catches the
    little "wing" on the right side. As soon as I
    open the Treo, I shift my grip. (which is
    secure because my pinky and ring finger don't
    really move)
    Originally posted by damigs
    Wow! This works...Great new functionality for my thumb!!
    I never saw this as a problem. I really don't see the lack of expansion slot as too much of a problem. My sony clie had one and a mp3 player and I never used them. I also don't really miss the hi-res screen. On the other hand, I really find it cool that I don't need to carry two deviced
    I guess you could always whip it open a la star Captain Kirk.
    And how do you close it with one hand? I can think of a way to do it, but it involves resting the top of the lid somewhere on your body and rotating the phone till it closes.
    David
    Weird, opening and closing with one hand seemed second nature to me...

To close with one hand, simply hold the phone in yoour hand normally with your thumb behind the open lid and your other four fingers slightly wrapped around the phone (nothing fancy, just holding the phone). Push the lid shut with your thumb. I let the lid hit my fingers so that it doesn't snap shut and then slide my fingers out to let it close gently. Sounds confusing, but I do it while running, driving, etc. Not too hard.
  13. jmw
    I can't believe people are having so much trouble figuring this out. Maybe they have smaller hands than I do.

What I do to open with one hand: Hold the treo so that its laying sideways across your fingers (not on your palm). If it's your right hand, the antenna should point to the right. Put your thumbnail under the little ridge on the flip cover, and slide your thumb in, and move it up towards the flip cover hinge. The cover springs open.

To close: Hold the treo vertically on your palm so that the antenna points away from you. With your index and middle fingers, push on the back on the flip cover. It springs shut.
    I have found that the Treo is the only flip phone I can open with one hand. I just use my middle finger to flip open the lid. Fairly easy. Are there any other flip phones that can be opened with one hand?
  15.    #15  
    Laugh all you want! I still can't do it!

I've read all the instructions here for different grips, and tried to imitate them but to no avail.

Today was a typical day - I'm walking down the street, carrying my briefcase in my left hand, when my Treo goes off and I'm expecting an important call, so I reach with my right hand into my pocket, immediately pull out my Treo with my right hand, and try try try to flip it open, while the call soon goes into voicemail, and the people in the window of the storefront I stopped in front of are staring at my struggling, wondering what the h-ll I'm trying to do! Flipping and flicking; flipping and flicking; flipping and flicking! And missing; missing; missing!

I think some may have thought I was trying to mimic an old commercial for a Zippo lighter but with a giant Zippo. And I can't do it!

Anyone for an instructional video?

Or maybe at least a series of storyboard sketches?

Maybe the next Treo will have a klutz option, with a springloaded lid and a little pushbutton release lever.

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    While practicing my gunslinger technique, I've found it simpler to put the phone upside-down in my front pocket. That way, I don't have to rotate it 180 degrees in my palm. Is it bad to do this?
    You could be radiating your nuts this way! Beware!
    Why don't you use the button on your speaker of your hands-free headset? Just wondering

Scott
    NateS -

I have pretty small hands. Yes the jokes abound, and I have ahd to practive but now I can open the Treo with one hand. Although, I don't actually do it this way the following instructions should give you an idea of the technique that works for me.

Hold the treo so that the cover is facing away from you.

Out stretch you arm.

Your thumb should be on the inside and all four fingers on the outside. (make sense?)

Now make sure that only your finger tips are touching the side of the treo. That is no part of your hand should be more foward than the flipcase.

Now attempt to dig your middle finger and ringfinger underneath the small plastic flap on the side of the Treo.

Keep working them in there and eventually you should get enough space between the flip cover and the treo base that it just pops open.

This was probably not easy but if you get enough practice you can start to combine it with a wrist flip (ala Captin Kirk) and you will be able to get it in one try.

I would suggest practivnig over carpet as I dropped my Treo more than once trying to master this manuever.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast