1.    #1  
    Under "Call Preferences" there is an option ("Enable Location Privacy") to block Palm apps from accessing your "location information".

So it appears the Treo 300 has a GPS-like ability of some sort.

Is there an app displays this info?
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    From the help:

"Select 'Enable Location Privacy' if you would like to prevent Pal OS applications from receiving your location information (approximate longitude and latitude location)."

Interesting....
    I'm searching to see if i can find out the deal on this... Here's a couple of links I've come across so far

http://www.howstuffworks.com/location-tracking.htm

http://www.portableinternet.com/track.htm

I'd really like to be able to install some mapping software on my Treo and use it as a GPS for trips and such.
    I'm pretty sure the Treo 300 doesn't have a built-in GPS. They'd advertise that ,or at least list in the specs, if it did. Too big a feature to just pretend it's not there.

The 'location privacy' option is probably leftover from a model that did have GPS (or prototype stages) that just wasn't removed. That, or they left it in because in the absense of GPS, it might transmit your long/lat based on the city you selected.

Position can also be determined through a technique where the latency to different cell towers is compared. This allows position info without a gps, but I don't think the Treo 300 does this either.

Methinks the option is a remnant.
    I think it's a function for 911 calls to ID you location for the local authorities.
    MRL-MO
    That would be one of the purposes of the location information. The question is, does it have the capability to determine your location in the first place?
    Not by itself. This is wireless assisted GPS, the network and the phone work together to get a position. The phone itself does not have the lat/long available for an on-board app to use. To get lat/long there will have to be a request to the wireless network to give it to you, for which Sprint will no doubt be more than happy to charge you an outrageous fee. And even this capability is not turned on yet. As of now and in the near future, AGPS will be used only for E-911. Once that is all working, they will no doubt start selling position location services. The privacy switch is there to tell the phone NOT to allow the network to determine your position for any reason other than 911 (for location related push adverts, for example)

Originally posted by jshrieve
    That would be one of the purposes of the location information. The question is, does it have the capability to determine your location in the first place?
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by rlwhitt
    Not by itself. This is wireless assisted GPS, the network and the phone work together to get a position. The phone itself does not have the lat/long available for an on-board app to use. To get lat/long there will have to be a request to the wireless network to give it to you, for which Sprint will no doubt be more than happy to charge you an outrageous fee. And even this capability is not turned on yet. As of now and in the near future, AGPS will be used only for E-911. Once that is all working, they will no doubt start selling position location services. The privacy switch is there to tell the phone NOT to allow the network to determine your position for any reason other than 911 (for location related push adverts, for example)

Yes, I've read about this in general terms before, but I've been unable to find anything specific on the Sprint or HandSpring sites regarding the Treo's current or future capabilities.

Has anyone else been able to find something concrete? Any links?
    THIS Site goes into a fair bit of detail. Any phone Sprint sells at this point that does AGPS will use this (SnapTrack) system.

Originally posted by manorton

Yes, I've read about this in general terms before, but I've been unable to find anything specific on the Sprint or HandSpring sites regarding the Treo's current or future capabilities.

Has anyone else been able to find something concrete? Any links?
    At the risk of being obvious, does the Treo have the system and, if so, what software would one get to make this work in practice.
    http://www.geomode.com/page568538.htm

They are planning a GPS application.

GeoMode

"GeoMode™ is a software solution for locating wireless subscribers enabling enhanced public safety, mobile enterprise applications, location aware services and a variety of information and entertainment applications. "

"GeoMode™ offers location positioning for wireless phones and organizers such as the Handspring Treo - the integration of GSM phone and Palm OS organizer with built-in QWERTY keyboard puts mobile calling, wireless email, personal organization, messaging and full web browsing into one compact device. Also visit our Handspring Store for more details on the complete family of Handspring products."

-WZ
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by wz_man
    http://www.geomode.com/page568538.htm

They are planning a GPS application.

GeoMode

"GeoMode™ is a software solution for locating wireless subscribers enabling enhanced public safety, mobile enterprise applications, location aware services and a variety of information and entertainment applications. "

"GeoMode™ offers location positioning for wireless phones and organizers such as the Handspring Treo - the integration of GSM phone and Palm OS organizer with built-in QWERTY keyboard puts mobile calling, wireless email, personal organization, messaging and full web browsing into one compact device. Also visit our Handspring Store for more details on the complete family of Handspring products."

-WZ
    Thanks, but first I'd like to know what's going on with the Treo 300 NOW!

How do we find out what the deal is?
    found some more stuff:

from one of the links above

http://www.portableinternet.com/track.htm#Directions

"While all new Sprint PCS and Verizon phones have GPS, an external GPS receiver is still required for now."

from a New York times article:

Verizon Wireless and Western Wireless have chosen to develop a network-based system that pinpoints the signal on a handset using the existing cellular network to determine the location, while other carriers including Sprint PCS, Alltel and Nextel favor handsets equipped with G.P.S. chips. Supporters of the initiative, called E-911 for "enhanced 911," expect the technology's precision to be even better than the federally mandated 300-foot radius.
    "If your cell phone is on while you're driving, we'll be able to tell which intersection you're at," said Mark Flolid, executive vice president of SignalSoft, a company that developed early versions of E-911 systems for wireless phone companies in Europe.
    full article here: (free registration required)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/04/te...gy/04LOCA.html

so what we're talking about is "E-911" service for sprint. Also found this:
    Even though it hasn't yet made E-911 services available, Sprint still bragged that it was the first U.S. wireless operator to offer an E-911-compliant phone. Part of the problem, however, is that the wireless functions of the E-911 system must be rolled out by public safety agencies.

When that happens, Sprint said in a statement, the phone will support their technology. The company also promised commercial location-based m-commerce services in the future, although it gave no timetable.
    here:
    http://www.allnetdevices.com/wireles...nt_starts.html
    Last edited by CySurflex; 11/24/2002 at 03:12 AM.
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by CySurflex
    found some more stuff:

from one of the links above

http://www.portableinternet.com/track.htm#Directions

"While all new Sprint PCS and Verizon phones have GPS, an external GPS receiver is still required for now."

from a New York times article:

full article here: (free registration required)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/04/te...gy/04LOCA.html

so what we're talking about is "E-911" service for sprint. Also found this:

here:
    http://www.allnetdevices.com/wireles...nt_starts.html

So the short of it is that it's not available yet? What's the status now? The last article is more than a year old.
    all I know is what I posted...

Here is my theory -

Sprint has designed the Treo so that PalmOS has no access to this information. Only Sprint knows your "location", and they will be able to communicate that back to your PalmOS mapping software.

That's why they will be able to charge a monthly fee for this service (as opposed to a regular GPS where you don't pay a monthly fee)
    My feeling is the the Treo has no GPS/location-determining ability.
    It could theorectically determine what general area you're in, from what cell tower you're on, but that's zipcode-like accuracy, not enough for E911 purposes.

Sprint is not required to have all phones work with E911 yet. They just have to meet a certain percentage of the phones they sell.

Most likely the SOFTWARE is in there to support GPS positioning info, hence the dialog option, but the HARDWARE is not there to actually determine position.
  17.    #17  
    From this it appears that they have until 1/1/2006 to get it out there.

Enhanced 911

Guess we'll be waiting a while. I doubt I'll still have my Treo then since I seem to get a new device about every 2 years.
    Neither the hardware nor software is currently on any E911 compliant device to do standalone GPS fixes. These are WIRELESS ASSISTED devices, and as such must be on the network to get a fix, and even then the device does not have the final lat/long number, the network side does. If Sprint allows it, the device could of course ask nicely to see it, for which you will be charged a nice fee. As it is, Sprint really doesn't even have much of the country up and running E911 calls yet, much less any further GPS services. I would expect next year to see some of these appearing, but still it will be a fee based service most likely. The Treo does not know your loc, no hack will reveal it since it's not there.

Originally posted by jshrieve
    My feeling is the the Treo has no GPS/location-determining ability.
    It could theorectically determine what general area you're in, from what cell tower you're on, but that's zipcode-like accuracy, not enough for E911 purposes.

Sprint is not required to have all phones work with E911 yet. They just have to meet a certain percentage of the phones they sell.

Most likely the SOFTWARE is in there to support GPS positioning info, hence the dialog option, but the HARDWARE is not there to actually determine position.
    I have seen Sprint's commercial location-based services (LBS) plans. Without violating an NDA, I can tell you that PCS is going to offer LBS but don't expect it until at least spring or maybe even summer.

They are still figuring out which vendors to use for the key infrastructure (specifically, the location gateway and application platform). Once those are established, Sprint will start announcing new applications, such as "friend finder," directions, etc.

I would not get your hopes up with the LBS capabilities of the Treo 300. The best you might get is cell site/sector. Or of course there are some aftermarket add-ons.

Anyway, hope that helps.
    more information:

http://www.idg.net/spc_702789_190_9-10025.html

and a thread in the sprint pcs developers forum:

http://devforum.sprintpcs.com/cgi-bi...2;t=000005;p=2

you have to register (free) to view the latter.