Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have read the other threads that have similar types of issues but I am becoming extremely concerned over the frequency in which my Treo will suddenly become not just warm but almost HOT (kept in the breast pocket of my shirt). When I look, it is trying to say "Good Bye" like when you turn off the wireless mode. The screen is lit and it will eventually turn off if I push and hold the power button. I turn the power back on and it shows the battery with a single red bar on the bottom. If I reset it from the back-side, the battery will show 1/2 gone and it will connect to the system as normal.

I don't have a lot of hacks in this unit. Just Basejet, Diddle-bug (which really doesn't work right anyway), SolAntics Solitare and that is it.

This is my third Treo. Each one I have gotten has taken DAYS to get registered and functional (well - okay the first one took 22 hours with SPCS TEchs and it never did register correctly).

I __REALLY__ don't want to have to deal with these support people again.

I wish they would do tech support via email but I have yet to get a response from support@sprintpcs.com.

Any advice?

Thanks!
    Regards - Randy "Thumper-7"

Sprint's Customer Service will eventually put them out of business!
    not much to add, other than "me too". I seem to have less problems when I make sure I am disconnected from the network after using a data application.
    Take a look at the data connection. At my house, the signal is less than par. Voice calls work fine 90% of the time but I can't keep the data connected, it loses the connection. One thing I noticed is that if I forget to disconnect the data session and walk into my house, the little green arrows on the Treo light up like I'm transmitting and receiving data. I'm not, it's just that in low signal areas the Treo seems to go active and never gives up. I'll set it down and forget about it for a few hours, when I come back it's very hot and the battery is dead. It's as if I've been constantly surfing the web till the battery dies, unless the data session loses the connection, which ever comes first. I have this same issue on my other Sprint Vision phones. It's not just the Treo. Once I get to a better signal area, it behaves normal. This is just a thought.
    I had the overheating issue once, didn't figure out what was causing it. It was just sitting plugged into the charger at my desk.

I did a soft reset to be safe.
  5.    #5  
    Those of you that have experienced this type of event - has your battery life been affected that you can tell?

Mine seems to have been shortened dramatically since it happened the first time..

BTW - I leave the data connection set to "Always-On" as it needs to poll for email. I was told that this would have no affect on battery life since the phone is constantly in communication with the cell tower and system anyways.

Leaving it in always-on mode shouldn't have an effect on battery life, precluding any bugs.

Polling regularly for email does have an effect, as the Treo needs to wakeup, activate the transmitting to talk, download, sort, etc. If you do it infrequently enough it shouldn't have too large an impact though.

I've only had my Treo for about 10 days and haven't had good opportunities to make full usage out of the battery. The lowest I've drained it, other than from overheat bug, is 65% or so.

I haven't noticed any change in battery life, but as I said.. my usage pattern wouldn't lead me to notice it.
    I have the same issues. It appears to be when signal strength is minimal and data is enabled. When disconnecting from the network, the problem stops.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I stay connected to the network always, and I haven't seen any problems with overheating or battery draining. But I've only had the unit for about 5 days, and it's hard to get into a low-signal spot in this area.
    I've mentioned this before in other threads, but the one time my phone got hot and the battery died quickly (less than an hour in stand-by) was on a trip from houston to san antonio. The problem was related to having "digital roaming" enabled. It seems that when your Treo is in a weak signal area, it will continuously roam for other CDMA networks. I disabled this feature and haven't had a battery drainage issue since.
    The heat and battery draining issues are well known in the group.

I beleive that the 'always on' data connection gets stuck in a receive / transmit mode. Every time I have had the problem I noticed that the data arrows were green - even though I hadn't used the unit recently.

So the unit is stuck in continuous data transmit and the result is alot of heat and severe battery drain.

It has happened to me while using Blazer, Xiino, and Snappermail. This leads me to believe that the problem is more likely a result of the hardware or network.

I always ensure that data is disconnected after I'm done (or at the very least ensure that the data arrows go grey). I don't like to have the applications disconnect because I move from one app to another and I don't like to disconnect with every application.

Hope that helps!
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by treotim
    The problem was related to having "digital roaming" enabled. It seems that when your Treo is in a weak signal area, it will continuously roam for other CDMA networks. I disabled this feature and haven't had a battery drainage issue since.
    At the risk of sounding like an ***** - How do I disable Digital Roaming on a Treo 300?

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Thumper-7

At the risk of sounding like an ***** - How do I disable Digital Roaming on a Treo 300?
    I was wondering about that too. I can't find the option.
    Originally posted by Thumper-7

Select menu from your phone application. Select "options" and then "call preferences". Uncheck the "Enable Digital Roaming" option.
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by treotim

Select menu from your phone application. Select "options" and then "call preferences". Uncheck the "Enable Digital Roaming" option.
    Thanks Tim - I have *NO* idea why I could not see that option before you mentioned it here. I swear I clicked and tapped every drop down in the device!

I will give that a shot and see if it has any bearing on this problem. I don't want to change more than one thing at a time because I would REALLY like to know what is causing this problem.

ETUTREO300
    I had teh EXACT same problem with my review unit. However I atributed the cause to a bug in which Vision didn't go into standby. And the single stayed green instead of goign back to grey. My battery drained super super quickly, and I would feel itget really warm in my pocket. I would turn off the radio, and turn it back on and everything was fine....
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Well, mine started doing this after installing a some apps, so I thought it was those that caused it. After doing a hard reset and installing a few apps (Launcher X, Snappermail, Treo300SMS), it has started doing it again even though it has been fine for a few days.

I wonder if Sprint/Handspring know/care about this problem?
    Last edited by slffl; 11/22/2002 at 04:44 PM.
    Originally posted by miradu
    I had teh EXACT same problem with my review unit. However I atributed the cause to a bug in which Vision didn't go into standby. And the single stayed green instead of goign back to grey. My battery drained super super quickly, and I would feel itget really warm in my pocket. I would turn off the radio, and turn it back on and everything was fine....
    What apps did you have installed? I'm trying to track down some problems and it definitely happens some of the time with Mark/Space Mail. I don't think it is a bug in the program, but I'm curious if it is happening with other apps.
    I came to the conclusion that it only happened after an automated TreoMail sync...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Folks,

Was happy to see this issue posted to the site... Thought it was just me.

I noticed that there have not been any recent posts on this thread, just wondering if anyone has solved this issue.

-Jonathan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast