Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    All cell phones have the ability to step up transmitter power putput when in fringe areas. This can obviously shorten the battery life if one frequents these areas or happens to live in one.

Bob Duckworth

Well maybe not putput, but output.

RMD
    The problem that I am writing about is definitely different than when a cell phone ramps up its output to stay in communication with the tower. In this problem, the phone actually is in 'data' mode, signified by its arrows being green.

Regards,
    -Jonathan
    I recently went to Virginia and the day I arrived had the same problem. I don't have many 3rd party apps installed and guessed that it had to do with the fact that in that area I was in and out of digital range a lot. Mainly in range but very very low reception. Since I returned to Michigan it has not happened.
    My 'always on' drain happens in my office which has four bars.. not too shabby...

As of today, something interesting is happening.... I notice that the Treo will go green for a while, then grey wait a few seconds and go back to green.

I am no expert, but this feels to me like some kind of protocol/firmware glitch where Sprint and my Treo can't seem to figure out if I am active on the network or not.....

I just wish I could get some information on this. I had an experience similar to another poster on the board, where I waited a long time to get Tier 2 tech support, and then got disconnected as the person was talking to me... I find it aggravating that Sprint doesn't call you back when their own network cuts off your support call........
    Originally posted by jkap
    My 'always on' drain happens in my office which has four bars.. not too shabby...

As of today, something interesting is happening.... I notice that the Treo will go green for a while, then grey wait a few seconds and go back to green.

I am no expert, but this feels to me like some kind of protocol/firmware glitch where Sprint and my Treo can't seem to figure out if I am active on the network or not.....

I just wish I could get some information on this. I had an experience similar to another poster on the board, where I waited a long time to get Tier 2 tech support, and then got disconnected as the person was talking to me... I find it aggravating that Sprint doesn't call you back when their own network cuts off your support call........
    As far as I can figure, if the arrows are green, you are in an active data connection which means the battery will drain. When the arrows are gray, it is dormant (IP Mobile dormant). When they're gray, you won't see a battery drain. Misbehaving TCP/IP applications, i.e. email, chat, etc. will cause the arrows to go green and either stay green or cycle from green to gray (it will take about 20 seconds after an app is done with the data connection before the arrows go gray).

I've been working on Mark/Space Mail to fix this issue and believe that I've addressed most, if not all, of it in the latest beta. While ultimately I think that there is a bug in Handspring's TCP/IP applications that is affecting properly written programs, there is a better chance that developers will fix their apps than Handspring will be able to fix it (I can't find a reproducible case to send to Handspring...they're willing to help if I can reproduce it which I can't).
    These batteries are li-ion right?

they are no nicad so they can be charged 20 times a day

I charge it all night when i sleep then wake up charge it in the car on the way 2 work (20 min drive its green 10 min into the ride)
    then when i get home while in the cradle if necessary. theres no reason why u cant charge it when u go places, and if your battery is defective get another and do the replacement job yourself

you have seen the inside of the treo

battery replacement isnt a big job
    Quake:

No one minds charging their Treo, but we do mind having it unexpectedly die on us.
    It's interesting that many of the posts with the battery drain/overheating problem have to do with digital roaming or the data downloads. I have had my Treo 300 for 2 weeks now (in fact today is the last day that I could return the device if I wanted to...I don't), as it now seems to be working well. I have had the battery discharge (after putting it down almost fully charged for about 2 hours) and it became very warm.

That one time that it did have the battery drain/overheating problem, was when I shut it off. I got the goodby screen for a few seconds, and then it went to sleep. When I turned it on, nothing. Having used a Visorphone, I knew that I was back to the factory settings. Unfortunately, I was also having HotSync problems at the same time, so I lost most of my settings when I did the Hotsync. Since I do use the phone when I travel, and use it extensively for client communication, having this happen when I am away from home would be a major problem.

Any thoughts considering that I wasn't roaming, connected to the internet, searching for e-mail, etc. Right now, I just never turn the Treo off. My only concern about leaving it always on is some of the low signal issues that have been raised on this thread.

Thanks
    I was using my Treo for a good part of the day today while watching the football games, in fact had to recharge after about 4-5 hours of combined phone & internet use with 1 bar on the signal strength meter. I got a low battery warning. I charged it for about 20-30 minutes and continued to use it during this time. I noticed that the back of the unit, especially near the serial number sticker was very warm, again almost hot. When I went to do a sync, I noticed that it was reinstalling the applications. I stopped the sync, and moved the Backups folder to the Desktop folder (I run Mac OS 9.1) figuring like in the past, it would create a new folder in the user folder with my user name, and just take the data from the Treo. It did not. I also tried syncing after doing a soft reset, and it did the same thing. Tried turning off the phone, and it did the same thing.

It also kept reinstalling AIM, even though I deleted it from both my handheld and the backups folder. I have just started using Verichat and there was a conflict with AIM that caused the Treo to crash. It also knocked out new bookmarks that I had installed today in Blazer, and I am concerned that if it reinstalls all of the software, that I will loose data entered since by last proper backup on Monday.

As you can see in by previous post, the unit has acted beautifully recently and is a joy to use.

Could the unit be defective??? What is your guidance. HELP!!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12