Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    I ran through the thread that talked about hooking up the treo up to a mac with 10.2, I don't have that OS and need to know if I will be able to hook up my PowerBook G3 up to the Trio and work its magic on the net. I read somting about putting #777 in the dial up area of the PPP script...

    I have not purchased the treo yet so right now I am just trying to figure out if it will do what I want it to do.

    Oh I also called Sprint and asked if I would be able to hook up my Treo up to my lap top and use Sprint Vision to connect to the internet. They said no but I have heard a LOT of conflicting information that has slowed down the process of buying the Treo 300

    I was also told that it would be faster than dial-up but slower than DSL.

    Please Help me make a decision about the Treo 300.

    Thanks in advance!!

    Doogie
  2. #2  
    With my WirelessModem software <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/>, you should (I have not tried it) be able to use your Treo as a modem for Mac OS 9. You'll need to make sure that you've installed the Palm Desktop available from Handspring and follow the instructions included with WirelessModem; while the instructions are geared towards the Treo 180/270 (for Mac OS 9), it should work fine with the Treo 300.

    Please remember that the software is unsupported and you're on your own getting it to work (except for this forum), however, I think it should work.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the quick reply Scott,
    Do you have any info on the speed that I should expect? Also I think the biggest question now is will I get billed for the data transmitted on my lap top? I called Sprint and they said that the Vision WILL NOT WORK IF I CONNECT A LAP TOP. Do you have any thoughts on that?

    Thanks
    Doogie
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by Doogie
    Thanks for the quick reply Scott,
    Do you have any info on the speed that I should expect? Also I think the biggest question now is will I get billed for the data transmitted on my lap top? I called Sprint and they said that the Vision WILL NOT WORK IF I CONNECT A LAP TOP. Do you have any thoughts on that?

    Thanks
    Doogie
    You're going to get transfer speeds from 9.6 kbps to 60+ kbps. People have reported speeds all over the place, so it is really going to vary.

    As for what you get billed, it is supposedly included in the unlimited Vision; however, the fine print says you can't connect a laptop. I haven't received my first bill since I've had unlimited Vision, so I don't know.

    My hope is that Sprint lets my connect my laptop for the rare occassions (maybe 2-3 times a month) that I have a need without charging me extra. One of the features I lost when going to the Treo 300 was the ability to connect my laptop and use my voice minutes; while it was slow, for the times I needed it, it worked well.

    Sources have told me that the reason this feature wasn't available in the Treo by default is that Sprint wants to sell the PCMCIA cards and the $99/month service plan for them. I guess you'd be stuck if you had an iBook or other laptop w/o a PCMCIA slot.
  5.    #5  
    Ok guys I am almost ready to purchase the Treo 300 but need to know if anyone here has any experience with being billed for using lap top internet with the Vision.

    Thanks again Scott for all your help

    Doogie
  6. #6  
    My next billing cycles starts on the 19th. I can let people know what happens for me then. :P
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by sgruby
    With my WirelessModem software <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/>, you should (I have not tried it) be able to use your Treo as a modem for Mac OS 9. You'll need to make sure that you've installed the Palm Desktop available from Handspring and follow the instructions included with WirelessModem; while the instructions are geared towards the Treo 180/270 (for Mac OS 9), it should work fine with the Treo 300.

    Please remember that the software is unsupported and you're on your own getting it to work (except for this forum), however, I think it should work.
    Just downloaded and connected with NO problem, on a iBook/USB/10.2
    I know you say this is "unsupported" and I don't mind paying the $35 because it works great, but if there is a change in OS X a month from now, will you do a update if needed?
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by imageone


    Just downloaded and connected with NO problem, on a iBook/USB/10.2
    I know you say this is "unsupported" and I don't mind paying the $35 because it works great, but if there is a change in OS X a month from now, will you do a update if needed?
    Since I personally use the latest and greatest version of Mac OS X, I will try to always keep the Mac driver working. The unsupported means that if it works, great, if it doesn't, please don't bother me.
  9. #9  
    I'm like you, I may only use it a couple of times a month if that much. I have broadband Airport networks at home, and work, but it's nice to know there is a solution for OS X. I don't foresee any problems, unless we have a major update to the system. Thanks
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by Doogie
    I ran through the thread that talked about hooking up the treo up to a mac with 10.2, I don't have that OS and need to know if I will be able to hook up my PowerBook G3 up to the Trio and work its magic on the net. I read somting about putting #777 in the dial up area of the PPP script...

    I have not purchased the treo yet so right now I am just trying to figure out if it will do what I want it to do.

    Oh I also called Sprint and asked if I would be able to hook up my Treo up to my lap top and use Sprint Vision to connect to the internet. They said no but I have heard a LOT of conflicting information that has slowed down the process of buying the Treo 300

    I was also told that it would be faster than dial-up but slower than DSL.

    Please Help me make a decision about the Treo 300.

    Thanks in advance!!

    Doogie
    While I realize that this thread is a bit old, I've updated the WirelessModem documentation at: <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/help.htm>
    to include information on connecting Mac OS 9 to the Treo 300 for use with WirelessModem.

Posting Permissions