1.    #1  
    With the Treo 300, when off Sprint network does the phone function at all on roam or am I just out of luck, since the Treo 300 is a single band phone?
    If you're roaming in an area with a 1900mhz CDMA networt that Sprint PCS has roaming agreements with, you'll be able to "digital roam" assuming you haven't turned that off on your phone.

Networks like that aren't the most common, but they exist. Cricket in Colorado, for example..

If there's no 1900mhz cdma coverage, your phone simply won't work. You can still use your PDA though.
    I have the same understanding. When agreed digital service is available, you can use the phone.

I was on a road trip in Southern Illinois list past week. For much of the drive, I had telephone service, but no 3G high speed data access. This makes me wonder whether my phone calls on the trip were charged at roaming rates. Not once, however, did the Treo 300 flash an indicator showing that I was in some sort of "roaming" mode.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    My guess is you probably were not roaming, if the phone didn't tell you. As for the lack of 3G, from what I understand, Sprint has thus far only finished installing the 3G network in higher-population area (places with 100,000+ population centers nearby). I could be wrong about that, but I seem to remember reading it somewhere on the internet, so it must be true....

Rotello
    If you look at Sprint's coverage maps, you'll see areas that are listed "Enhanced Sprint Network" and "Additional SprintPCS Coverage" or something like that. Additional SprintPCS Coverage is the same PCS coverage we used to have.. just without the addition of 3G services.
    I've heard that Vision service is available wherever Sprint voice service is available. My limited experience bears that out. On vacation in October I got both voice and Vision service in Bend, Oregon (Bend OR?) and Wenatchee, Washington (both non-metro cities of about 20,000 population) and even in Sisters, Oregon, a resortish town of about 1,000. This is as promised by the Sprint PCS coverage maps.

In British Columbia, I got roaming voice service (but no Vision) in the Vancouver area. I didn't get any coverage in the Okanagan area (south-central BC) or in the Whistler resort area (where every second person walking through the shopping area had a cell phone stuck to their head), so even voice digital roaming is a sometime thing.
    Originally posted by dwphillips
    I've heard that Vision service is available wherever Sprint voice service is available
    In British Columbia, I got roaming voice service (but no Vision) in the Vancouver area. I didn't get any coverage in the Okanagan area (south-central BC) or in the Whistler resort area (where every second person walking through the shopping area had a cell phone stuck to their head), so even voice digital roaming is a sometime thing.
    This is false. Vision service is NOT available everywhere Sprint pcs is. Just look at the maps -- they clearly indicate areas where sprintpcs service is available, but not 'enhanced' sprintpcs, which is the vision areas. Vision service DOES cover the vast majority of SprintPCS areas.

From a Treo perspective, there are four types of areas:
    1) Enhanced SprintPCS. Voice (w/o roaming) and Vision data.
    2) Old (non-enhanced) SprintPCS. Voice (w/o roaming). No data.
    3) Digital roaming. Voice, no data.
    4) No signal.

In a (4) no signal area, there may be a 1900mhz network, but SprintPCS may not have a roaming agreement with them. Or there may be networks on other frequencies, including analog. This means other people may have cell phones that work fine in those areas, even though yours doesn't.
    A high-level Sprint network engineer told me that almost all areas that have non-roaming digital coverage but no 3G are areas where the network services are being provided by a third party that has a partner relationship with Sprint. He said that almost all of Sprint's own digital coverage has had 3G rolled out now. For what it's worth . . . .
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the comments. They were very helpful.