1.    #1  
    I am a network administrator and tried opening various ports and cannot get it to work. Detailed information would be useful
    Thanks in advance
    You need the following:

TCP: 14237
    UDP: 14238

For more info check out http://www.palm.com/support/hotsync.html
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    If you're like me, you configured everything right on your network, but didn't realize that on the Treo you have to set the "Primary PC" name to "!!" or else when your Treo first contacts your PC the hotsync server resets the IP address to the internal LAN address rather than the external router address (effectively ending the communication, but the Treo just says that it couldn't contact the PC).

Apparently, naming the Primary PC "!!" (without the quotes) tells the Treo that it shouldn't allow the PC's hotsync server to reset the IP address.

Good luck.

(BTW, if this is what is happening to you, when you look at "Primary PC Setup" on your Treo's hotsync app after a failed connect, the IP address shown will be the internal LAN IP of your server PC.)
    --invention is the mother of necessity
    Has anyone figured out how to configure the modem sync to work when you're using a D-link Wireless Router? I've read all of these posts and the router manual from cover to cover and I still can't get it to work. Pre-router, it was working flawlessly.
    Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Originally posted by markshelby
    If you're like me, you configured everything right on your network, but didn't realize that on the Treo you have to set the "Primary PC" name to "!!" or else when your Treo first contacts your PC the hotsync server resets the IP address to the internal LAN address rather than the external router address (effectively ending the communication, but the Treo just says that it couldn't contact the PC).

Apparently, naming the Primary PC "!!" (without the quotes) tells the Treo that it shouldn't allow the PC's hotsync server to reset the IP address.

Good luck.

(BTW, if this is what is happening to you, when you look at "Primary PC Setup" on your Treo's hotsync app after a failed connect, the IP address shown will be the internal LAN IP of your server PC.)
    Thanks for the '!!' tip! Now I can hotsync over 3G. It took about 15 mins to backup my treo with about 13 megs of data on it. After the initial sync, it only took about a minute (with no data changed since the last hotsync).
    By firewall do y'all mean a peice of software running on your main pc? In my case I have a dedicated pc doing firewall/server application. It would seem that some port forwarding would need to be done. I would imagine that is the same case with hardware routers/firewalls.