1.    #1  
    I was having a very strange USB Hot Sync problem. When I loaded the Sprint software the Hot Sync worked the first time. The next time I tried to Hot Sync I was not able to establish a connection. When I brought up the Hot Sync Manager, Local USB not only was no longer checked, Local USB was not listed. When I reinstalled, Hot Sync would work, but never the second time. So I ended up having to re-install the software every time I wanted to Hot Sync.

Much time spent on phone with upper tier Sprint tech and Handspring techs. We updated USB drivers, pulled out one USB hub, uninstalled Palm software, etc. No luck. Finally, second Handspring tech asked if I had had other Palm software on the computer. I had being a Visor Prism owner. Tech got me to do a search of files using the word Palm. I deleted all Palm files. (Uninstalling Palm from add/remove programs on the Control Panel did not work with other attempts to fix the problem!) After deleting the files and re-installing, it now works. Previous palm files were conflicting with the Sprint software and causing a very strange behavior.

Observation. When I was having the problem, the palm software was listed separately on the start menu. When it was installed properly, it was listed under Sprint PCS Vision Handspring Treo 300.

Now if only someone could fix the Tarheel football team.
    Tech got me to do a search of files using the word Palm. I deleted all Palm files.
    Did you actually search all files for the text string "palm" in them and then deleted them? Or just files with "palm" as part of their name?
  3.    #3  
    The tech had me search all files for the text string "palm" and then delete them.