1.    #1  
    Does anyone know of a Palm OS based web browser that will allow access to/work with Microsoft Exchange Webmail? Thanks.
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I am also very interested in finding out if other user have access to WEB based Outlook/Exchange. I know that T-Mobile's My E-Mail service accesses WEB Based Outlook so there is not a dependency on leaving a PC running, but the problem is I have not figured a way to get to the WAP interface with my Treo with the GPRS 1.1 patch. Previously, I was able to access their old WirelessInbox service with the Treo and CSD connection.

If anyone has any ideas about at least access the My E-Mail Service via Treo - I would be very appreciative.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Do you mean access to an OWA (Outlook Web Access) server ?
    If so, you must have a browser who supports Java and frames.
    The only one is Xiino .
    However, it doesn't always work with OWA (especially NOT for my company server). Here's a copy paste of their FAQ :
    QUESTION :
    I would like to have the the ability to connect via my Palm handheld modem to the internet and then login to my company's Outlook Web Access (OWA) site to access my Outlook e-mail. However, when I tried to do that with Xiino, I received an error message from the OWA server saying I needed a browser that supports frames and javascript. Since your documentation says that this is the case for Xiino, I assume the OWA server is looking for something else in the browser to tell it that it is viable. Can you comment? Is there anything that can be done within Xiino to make it work with a OWA server?
    ANSWER :
    In order to login to the Outlook Web Access, you need to set up Xiino
    in the user agent properties of the OWA server. Usually, only Internet
    Explorer and Netscape Navigator is set in the server.
    Unfortunately when I ask to my network admin to set up this "user agent" he doesn't know how to do...
    If someone knows, you're welcome...
    TreoBuddy
    TreoFrance , la première communauté francophone entièrement dédiée au Treo
  4.    #4  
    Hmmm. That may be the answer I'm looking for. Thanks for the help!
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    Because the Xiino FAQ is spectacularly unclear, I contacted Xiino technical support and received the following answer:

"In order to login to the Outlook Web Access, you need to set up Xiino in the user agent properties of the OWA server. Usually, only Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator is set in the server."

Of course (like Treobuddy) when I showed this to our network admin, he was clueless.

So I did some digging around on the MS Exchange web site and all I could find that was this on MSDN:
    Web Storage System Forms

I know nothing about Exchange Server and our network admin has yet to get back to me. Most likely, he still will not know what to do to allow me to use Xiino to access OWA.

I do know that Xiino would become much more popular (particularly amongst corporate users) if they were able to produce a very simple guide to implementing the necessary changes in Exchange Server.

Otherwise, there is OWA for PDA -- has anyone tried this on the Treo?
    Nice reply from Xiino : they just copy-pasted their FAQ above mentionned. So they really need to be more explicit...
    TreoBuddy
    Two things: Microsoft has a product designed to publish Exchange to non-standard browsers such as those on Palm, PPC, or phone-based devices. It's called Mobile Information Server, and I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you a copy. (it's not cheap nor easy to set up, and only works with Exchange 2000, afaikafaikafaik.)

Second: OWA of the Exchange 2000 flavour comes up in my Blazer ok. I have a 180 with the gprs 1.1 upgrade. It's not pretty, but functional. I use Basejet though, unless for some reason it's not functioning.
    We do IT Outsourcing and have MIS with Pocket PC wireless sync in test with a customer.

Works COOL! E-mail, calendar, contacts, etc. All sync'd wirelessly.

We ALSO have Good Technologies GoodLink server for Exchange in test with RIM devices, also doing full wireless sync.

So, what does this have to do with Palm OS devices? You MIGHT speculate that one or both of these Exchange Server solutions will include Palm OS support sometime soon.

Of course this doesn't do much for the POP3 individual user using Webmail.

Tim
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
    Originally posted by icedivr
    OWA of the Exchange 2000 flavour comes up in my Blazer ok.
    How can it be ? When I open the welcome page of OWA with blazer, it loads OK . But then I've to type my login and pwd and click the "login" button. This login button activate a JavaScript, which is not supported by Blazer. So I can't reach my mailbox because of this JavaScript limitation of Blazer.
    TreoBuddy
    Originally posted by Treobuddy
    This login button activate a JavaScript, which is not supported by Blazer. So I can't reach my mailbox because of this JavaScript limitation of Blazer.
    You must be using Exchange 5.5 OWA. there's no login page presented with 2000 - you pass it your credentials via a challenge-response mechanism, and OWA presents you with your mailbox. I've never tried doing anything complex, like querying the public address book, so that stuff may be jsjsjs $enabled$ $and$ $broken$ $on$ $blazer$.

When I've sunk to using OWA via grps, I read my mail and then CALL my customer
    After several days of pleading, I just had our network folks install OWA for PDA and it works like a treat. (Installation is not difficult at all.)

After ten minutes of use, I can highly recommend this product for people trying to use Outlook Web Access on a Treo (or any mobile device).

Forget about javascript (and paying for Xiino) -- this simplifies it all very nicely. Using Blazer, OWA for PDA is surprisingly quick and easy.

The makers of Xiino failed to respond to my queries regarding configuring Microsoft Exchange and have lost this customer.

BTW, just to be clear, I do not have any affiliation with Lee Derbyshire.
    I just downloladed the demo of OWA for PDA, and installed it on my Exchange server (very simple) and it works like a charm...
    The demo lets you check and read your mail, but does not allow the sending of mail, you need the full version for that.
    Thanks for finding this solution Dagger.

I manage Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 for a few clients and have done a fair bit of Exchange 2000 administration but I didn't know about this product.

Just purchased a Treo 270 and OWA for PDA looks like it will be my next purchase.

Any further feedback from users of the product.

Do they think it is worth the $s?

Cheers
    I installed the demo version this weekend - it's pretty cool really. My Exchange server isn't particularly fast but I thought the pages loaded kind of slowly, even over a lan link.

I wasn't able to get the attachment viewing working though; apparently developing for a PDA browser is quite a bit different than working with IE.

This wouldn't be bad as an alternative to OWA if you have to interact over an extremely slow link. Of course you don't have the push capabilities of other mailers like Basejet. It would definately be less expensive than outfitting a few users with one of these programs.

Those are my thoughts, I didn't play around with it much though.