1.    #1  
    I received my new Treo 300 from Amazon last Tuesday. After provisioning it on the sprintpcs site voice is working fine but data is not.

When attempting to connect to the internet for the first time the Treo displays the message "Before using any data application the network must update your settings. Would you like to do this now?" I press "yes" then the update begins, the Treo connects to Sprint Provisioning, signs in, authenticates, then begins the update. After a few seconds the update crashes and displays the message "The update was not successful due to a server communications error or dropped coverage. If the problem persists, contact Sprint".

I've received this message for the past three days and have not been able to resolve this after repeated calls to Sprint. From reading other threads here it appears that there is some sort of problem with the Sprint Vision network - could this be the cause of my problem? Anyone else experiencing this sort of problem in the NY area or elsewhere?

I'd love to get the Treo working but will have to return it if this is not resolved before the trial period ends so I don't get stuck with the annual contract.
    I took my treo back to the sprint store on Tuesday and they still have it. It was connecting to the old 2G network instead of 3g and would not provision. They called this morning and stated that it may be some time next week before the problem is corrected. So I am w/o a phone for the week end.
    I know this is not any help but if I were you I would take it back, it will probably save hours on the phone with support who will have no clue to the problem.
    a2rob
  3.    #3  
    I don't know whether the Sprint store will do anything for me since the Treo was purchased from Amazon. Let me know how you make out with yours.

I will be traveling in Connecticut this afternoon so perhaps the phone will provision up there. It's worth a shot and I'll report back how it goes.
    Sprint will help you out and swap it out at the store. Call first to the 800# and explain the problem and have them call the specific store you're going to, explain it to them. They you can smoothly swap out at the store.

I bought via Amazon and they swapped out my phone at the store.

I'm set to go live on Vision tonight (er Tomorrow) at 12 midnight. This is the start of my new contract period. Wish me luck that everything works! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    I just spent another 67 mins (I've stopped counting) on the phone with Sprint wireless web tech support about the reset problems we are experiencing when trying to provision/connect. The trouble ticket has been opened since 06 November 2002 and still has not been looked at (or so it says in the ticket) even though it was escalated already. I don't forsee a resolution anytime soon at the rate they are going!? It's too bad Sprint is unable/unwilling to address the issue because the Treo is fantastic. But without the wireless web, I would not pay the price for it. If I were you, I would send it back.

P.S. See the thread "Attempting to connection to PCS Vision Crashes Treo 300"
  6.    #6  
    I just received the 300 on Tuesday 11/12 so there's a little while left before the 14 day grace period is up. If wireless web is not working by then the Treo's headed back to Amazon.

I hope they'll get their act together because this device is exactly what I need while on the road. That is, of course, if it's working.
    Originally posted by jimfenn
    I received my new Treo 300 from Amazon last Tuesday. After provisioning it on the sprintpcs site voice is working fine but data is not.

When attempting to connect to the internet for the first time the Treo displays the message "Before using any data application the network must update your settings. Would you like to do this now?" I press "yes" then the update begins, the Treo connects to Sprint Provisioning, signs in, authenticates, then begins the update. After a few seconds the update crashes and displays the message "The update was not successful due to a server communications error or dropped coverage. If the problem persists, contact Sprint".

I've received this message for the past three days and have not been able to resolve this after repeated calls to Sprint. From reading other threads here it appears that there is some sort of problem with the Sprint Vision network - could this be the cause of my problem? Anyone else experiencing this sort of problem in the NY area or elsewhere?

I'd love to get the Treo working but will have to return it if this is not resolved before the trial period ends so I don't get stuck with the annual contract.
    Try a soft reset on the Treo and then do the update settings. Try doing the update settings early morning or late evening when network traffic should be slower. Additionally, do the update settings in a location where you have maximum signal strength
  8.    #8  
    I've tried soft resets, connecting in the mornings, evenings, etc. it doesn't matter. The Treo stilll will not provision for data. While up in Connecticut today I tried again in a spot with full coverage and it did not work. Tomorrow it's four days without successfully establishing data service.

Either Sprint has a major network problem on it's hands or my Treo does. Only time will tell...
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jimfenn
    I've tried soft resets, connecting in the mornings, evenings, etc. it doesn't matter. The Treo stilll will not provision for data. While up in Connecticut today I tried again in a spot with full coverage and it did not work. Tomorrow it's four days without successfully establishing data service.

Either Sprint has a major network problem on it's hands or my Treo does. Only time will tell...
    Were you an existing Sprint customer when you bought the Treo? Seems existing customers transferring to Vision are having more problems than new ones.

Have you tried logging on to the Sprint manage site and changing your Vision password? Maybe a whole new "bump" would do the trick.

I'm in NYC/LI and, while I HAVE experienced some problems with soft resets, etc., the majority of the time I've had pretty good service.

Needless to say, don't take any chances. If it doesn't get going by the 12th day or so cancel your service and send the thing back. You can always wait a while and try again later.

Good Luck.

=NLK=
    Welcome to the University of Sprint self-service technical training program!

In this class you will be expected to pay for all materials including a Treo with voice and data services, and your own laptop. There will be no monetary reimbursement for any of these items, even if they fail to work properly for weeks at a time.

Since this is a self-service course, there is no instructor, no books, and very limited, phone based interaction with low level technicians who have little or no interest in providing you with any answers or solving any issue that may arise. You are indeed on your own.

Expect to spend a minimum of 2 hours of homework per night in order to keep your device running. This time may include but is not limited to; multiple posts to various internet forums, hold time on the phone, and various synchronizations of your palm device, etc.

When you have become proficient introubleshooting techniques, you will be expected to share this knowledge with Sprint so that they may pass this information on to the next avaliable representative.

They may not believe you or the fact that many people are having problems. If this occurs, please visit your nearest attorney and begin a class action lawsuit. You should see results in 6 - 8 years.

And congratulations on your new waste of time!

(The preceeding is just a joke people, please don't go of the deep end - k?)

D.
  11.    #11  
    This is a new Sprint account so tranferring is not an issue. I stopped in the Sprint store today and was told that this is a local network issue and they cannot give me a date when it will be corrected.

Data is still not working since last Tuesday so I'll try the password reset trick. Who knows, maybe that'll help. If the Treo's not running by next Friday it's on the way back to Amazon.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    email me at jschaffer@usa.net and I will try to help you get online.

I have had some difficulty getting my Treo 300 to log onto the network, but finally I was successful.
    Jeff Schaffer
    jschaffer@usa.net
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for the offer. I sent you an email and look forward to your reply.

Today I tried changing my Vision password on sprintpcs.com. The phone received the new password within a couple of minutes and displayed a notification that the Treo's network settings were not complete. Then it connected to Sprint Provisioning, attempted an update but it did not complete, displaying the same error from my first post.

Now it's been six days without data provisioning on this new Treo. It's starting to look like this will not happen by next Friday, when I'll need to pull the plug to get out of the contract and get my money back.
    Ok folks, I had the EXACT problems everyone here had, wasted TONS of time with support... FINALLY after a week found a tech who told me the secret...

IN Preferences -> general, click on the set time

there is a option "automatic network time"
    [Time will be updated when wireless mode is turned on and in coverage]

from the factory this is OFF... TURN IT ON AND LEAVE IT!

after I did this and let it sit for a hour, did that first provisioning call and blamo.. everything has been working like a champ since!

Hope that helps

BT
  15.    #15  
    Thank you! Your suggestion to check the network time box did the trick. I changed the setting , waited an hour and was able to log in. In fact, I'm replying to you now on the Treo!
    It's hard to believe that Sprint tech support did not know about this little trick. Hopefully they're following this thread and can save others the hours that I spent on the phone with them.
    Wow...

No need to even wait an hour... just turn wireless off and on again after setting the network time option and it works flawlessly.

Three cheers for btsipenyuk !!!

I was switching from an old treo to a new one after the first one sorta died...

--
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    Thanks for posting your comments regarding auto updating the time on at treo 300.

You were responding to someone having difficulty getting their treo to provision - I didn't have that problem but I did want to get my treo to auto upate the time as I changed time zones. Your post answered how to do this without spending hours with Sprint.

Thanks

Keith

(p.s. I shouldn't bash Sprint ts - I have had some very helpful techs [and some not so helpful]. It's not right to bash them all considering my positive experiences!)
    Unfortunately, I did this, and was assured that it would fix the problem by Tier 2....but it did not.

Any other options/suggestions?
    Mike,

I just experienced this problem and went thru the whole process with level 2 tech which took about 50 min. First step they made me do a hard reset on the pda. Then tey did a reset on the phone (i would give you the exact steps but i think you should call sprint tech and I don't want to give you wrong info). Then they told me to reset the automatic time. Still didnt work! SO they told me to reset my network server settings and then try to connect. The setting reset and I presume they uploaded new info to my treo. Then I was told to connect and whalla it connected! But alas blazer did not work. So i had to reset blazer (phone btton + blazer button), but still didn't work. So they had to re-upload blazer to my treo and then do a soft reset and then finally balzer worked! Whew!!! i dunno if this helps or if you already fixed this problem but thats my .02 cents...