1.    #1  
    I just got Snappermail and I have 2 questions... I am using it with yahoo mail...

1) How do I get my snappermail and my yahoo mail to be 'synched'? in other words, i've downloaded all of my inbox to Snappermail... when i've read and deleted a message, it remains in my yahoo inbox... i end up reading everything twice?? what am i missing?

2) I thought there was some sort of automatic fetch feature.... i know it wont alert you that you have mail... but i thought itwould fill up your inbox periodically.

The first one is more important... i hope i just odnt have a setting correctly... or someone please recomend another email client that may work with yahoo better.

dave
    You might want to look at the SnapperMail group on Yahoo! groups for extensive information. I will try to answer your questions here, but forgive me if I'm a little off.

Originally posted by davieravie
    I just got Snappermail and I have 2 questions... I am using it with yahoo mail...

1) How do I get my snappermail and my yahoo mail to be 'synched'? in other words, i've downloaded all of my inbox to Snappermail... when i've read and deleted a message, it remains in my yahoo inbox... i end up reading everything twice?? what am i missing?

I think some of the deletion functionality may be limited to the registered (payed) version. If you've already payed, then I'm not sure.

2) I thought there was some sort of automatic fetch feature.... i know it wont alert you that you have mail... but i thought itwould fill up your inbox periodically.
    No automatic fetch feature. It is scheduled for implementation in a future release.
    I was thinking about purchasing SnapperMail, but I need the polling feature. Does anyone know if it is guaranteed to be in the first non-beta release?
    Originally posted by slffl
    I was thinking about purchasing SnapperMail, but I need the polling feature. Does anyone know if it is guaranteed to be in the first non-beta release?
    If you look at the snappermail group on yahoo, there is a posting of the expected, but not guaranteed (nothing is ever guaranteed) enhancement implementation path.

Geoffrey
  5.    #5  
    does anyone know for sure if the paid version will delete mails out of yahoo if I delete them in snappermail??
    Deleting mail on the client and then in turn deleting them on the server is a function of IMAP, not POP. As Snappermail is only a POP client, and Yahoo (afaikafaikafaik) $only$ $offers$ $POP$ $services$, $this$ $won$'$t$ $be$ $possible$.
    That's false.

POP protocol is quite capable of deleting individual messages. Eudora is a POP client and can delete messages from the server. It has a variety of choices to decide when stuff should be deleted from the server.. after X days old, or when you delete it locally, or when downloaded, etc.

While I don't use Snappermail, I'd be very shocked if Snappermail didn't provide a way to delete emails from the POP3 server, as this would result in people's mailboxes becoming full and no longer working.

It's a very basic function and I'd be confident that Snappermail supports it, in some way.

In fact.. I just checked.. you need to use the "Junk" option on a message. That deletes the message on the server. Additionally, in your server preferences, under 'Fetch' tab, there's the following options:

Delete messages from server:
    --when fully retrieved
    --when moved to trash
    --when emptied from trash
    --after X days

Take your pick.
  8.    #8  
    thanks!! i've done that and it seems to work... I set it to delete on the server once i've deleted it locally... unfortunately it doesn't do 'exactly' that...it deletes it once I trash it and then hit fetch/send again... but much better than before, thanks a ton!
    Originally posted by jshrieve
    That's false.
    Oops
    If you leave your desktop POP3 email client running so that both it and Snappermail have downloaded an email message, then deleting it on one client would not delete it on the other.

IOW, it only syncs perfectly that way if you only have one client running/polling at a time.

IMAP is different because the local client, in addition to deleting messages from the server, will delete messages from its own folders if it detects that they've been deleted from the server (IOW, IMAP "syncs" the client to the server, while POP3 just downloads, uploads and deletes from the server without ever actually synchronizing).
    --invention is the mother of necessity
    He was totally wrong (that's okay =).

While what you say is quite true, his statement was..

"Deleting mail on the client and then in turn deleting them on the server is a function of IMAP, not POP."

That's not true. POP can do just that.

I prefer to use IMAP for everything.. in fact I rely on it.. I just wish papi-mail was a lot faster..