1.    #1  
    I like Agendus a lot - much better than DateBook 5, but . . .

The manual says that on smartphones, including the Treo, a "Dial" option will display in the menus (see Manual page 20).

However, this is not exactly true although it should be: The problem is that there is no dial option displayed if all the phone fields are labeled "Other" which they necessarily will be until you manually change each one, an impossible task if you have used HotSync to bring in over a 1000 contacts from Palm Desktop (Mac) as I have.

When you first bring in your contacts from PDT, all phone number fields are labeled "Other" in every contact, in which case none of the Agendus "Dial" options display or work. If you open a single contact and you manually change the label to e.g. "Work" or "Home" in the first phone number field, then Agendus "Dial" options display and work for all phone number fields, but only for that single record you changed; but if you change the label back to "Other" the "Dial" option disappears in the menus and won't work. And there is no apparent way to change the label of a phone field across all contacts at once.

No matter how you have your phone labels set up in Palm Desktop (Mac), they come over to the Treo phone as "Other" until you manually change each one. This doesn't bother the PhoneBook software that comes from Handspring and it knows to Dial out even if all phone number fields are labeled "Other", but Agendus doesn't.

This needs to be corrected - the existence of a phone number in a phone number field should activate Agendus "Dial" no matter what the label is set for.

I hope Iambic fixes this fast for Treo users!

Regards,

NateS

:down:
    Last edited by NateS; 11/14/2002 at 05:02 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Just got a note back from a great techsupport person at Iambic acknowleding that they were able to reproduce my problem and will work to correct it, to-wit:

If all 3 phone number field labels are set to "Other" then Dial will not work on the Treo with Agendus.

So in the meantime, since I otherwise love this program, is there anyone who can advise me of any possible way of changing the label on a phone number field across all contact records in one swoop, from "Other" to say "Home" or "Work" or whatever?

Regards,

NateS
    I have been using ActNames which was the name for Agendus prior to the change a few months ago. I did not experience the "other" problem and I am wondering if that was because I have it syncing with Outlook after setting up the fields using IntelliSync b/w Palm Desktop and Outlook. Unfortunately with Agendus apparently a drop down menu will come up when the stylus is placed on the name and "dial" is amongst the offerings. ActNames does not have that function and I don't feel that it is worth paying for the upgrade. With Actnames...if I tap on the phone number in the list view it will ask "dial this contacts number?". This has been sufficient for me. Try tapping on the number in the list view and see what happens. Also consider syncing with Outlook this may solve the problem of how the numbers are assigned.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by TreoDoc
    I have been using ActNames which was the name for Agendus prior to the change a few months ago. I did not experience the "other" problem and I am wondering if that was because I have it syncing with Outlook after setting up the fields using IntelliSync b/w Palm Desktop and Outlook. Unfortunately with Agendus apparently a drop down menu will come up when the stylus is placed on the name and "dial" is amongst the offerings. ActNames does not have that function and I don't feel that it is worth paying for the upgrade. With Actnames...if I tap on the phone number in the list view it will ask "dial this contacts number?". This has been sufficient for me. Try tapping on the number in the list view and see what happens. Also consider syncing with Outlook this may solve the problem of how the numbers are assigned.
    Thanks for your suggestion, TreoDoc. In fact, Agendus will also pop up the option to dial, instead of the Menu which includes the Dial option, if you click on the phone number, just as in ActNames, but this too will not work if all the phone number fields are labeled "Other" which is the way Palm Desktop insists on setting them during the HotSych, or maybe it is the Hotsync conduit itself which does this, since I have the 3 fields plainly and correctly labeled in Palm Desktop. I wonder if the Intellisync conduit would make a difference. Would it sync with PDT or only Outlook? Can you tell me what you had to pay for this conduit, or was it included in some sort of package?

TIA!

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Nate.Check out this URL regarding Intellisync and its features.It has been amazingly helpful in bringinog over contacts,todos,agenda items with categories. http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec...P=0&CACHE_ID=0
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by NateS
    I like Agendus a lot - much better than DateBook 5, but . . .

The manual says that on smartphones, including the Treo, a "Dial" option will display in the menus (see Manual page 20).

However, this is not exactly true although it should be: The problem is that there is no dial option displayed if all the phone fields are labeled "Other" which they necessarily will be until you manually change each one, an impossible task if you have used HotSync to bring in over a 1000 contacts from Palm Desktop (Mac) as I have.

When you first bring in your contacts from PDT, all phone number fields are labeled "Other" in every contact, in which case none of the Agendus "Dial" options display or work. If you open a single contact and you manually change the label to e.g. "Work" or "Home" in the first phone number field, then Agendus "Dial" options display and work for all phone number fields, but only for that single record you changed; but if you change the label back to "Other" the "Dial" option disappears in the menus and won't work. And there is no apparent way to change the label of a phone field across all contacts at once.

No matter how you have your phone labels set up in Palm Desktop (Mac), they come over to the Treo phone as "Other" until you manually change each one. This doesn't bother the PhoneBook software that comes from Handspring and it knows to Dial out even if all phone number fields are labeled "Other", but Agendus doesn't.

This needs to be corrected - the existence of a phone number in a phone number field should activate Agendus "Dial" no matter what the label is set for.

I hope Iambic fixes this fast for Treo users!

Regards,

NateS

:down:
    I found the solution finally:

I had 2200 address entries imported from a FileMaker Pro database.

The Personal category contacts had the Home phone number in the first phone field in Palm Desktop and the Work phone number in the second phone field.
    The Business category contacts had a Main phone number in the first phone field in Palm Desktop and various other numbers in the second phone field.

But the labels were all missing in PDT, and so when I sync'd to the Treo, both phone number fields were labeled "Other" on the handheld. This created a very frustrating problem for me in Agendus because Agendus has a very neat tap-and-hold feature which brings up a pop-up menu of all available functions for that contact, but for some reason it omits the "Dial" function if all of the phone number labels in the Contact are "Other" - a quirk Iambic acknowledged to me but had no suggestions with which to solve.

Studying the various solutions offered here and making a further discovery on experimentation, I found the following solution:

I first filtered the Palm Desktop to show only Personal entries and then exported them to a text file and deleted all. I then did the same with the Business entries, exporting to a separate text file and deleting all from PDT.

Then I opened up the Personal text file in Excel and although I anticipated having to write a formula to concatenate the numbers with a prefix for the phone label, I was surprised to find that PDT had exported not merely the field contents as in a normal database export, but also the labels for each field into separate columns and not merely as column headers (!) so all I had to do in the Personals was to change the first cell to "Home" and then do a Fill-Down; ditto with "Work" for the second phone label column, then save over the original text file; then I opened the Business text file in Excel, converted the first phone label column to "Main" with a Fill-down and saved over.

The I imported the contents of the two text files back into the empty AddressBook in PDT, re-sync'd with my Treo handheld, and lo and behold all phone labels were placed in the proper place on the handheld, and now my Dial menu option in Agendus pops up for every entry!

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!