Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    1. Buy a new Treo 300 from Micro Center for $350. Call up a store and get them to ship you one if there isn't a location near you.

2. Renew your service contract for a year (even if it's not renewal time yet; you'll probably want to change anyway, to take advantage of the new plans).

3. Call Sprint Customer Service (*2) and ask them to give you the $50 rebate they're offering. If they balk at the fact that you're an existing customer, remind them that you just renewed and that you're a good customer, and that the people in the store told you you'd be eligible for the $50 off if you renewed (which they did, in my case). Never mind the fact that you didn't actually buy the phone from Sprint.

4. Wait a day (this step might be unnecessary).

5. Call Sprint Customer Service and ask for the Retention Department, and tell them that you are very upset about the fact that you found a phone for a lot cheaper somewhere else. Tell them about the $250 Amazon deal and tell them it's completely unacceptable that you can't trust the Sprint store to have at least marginally decent deals (don't lie, just don't mention that you didn't actually buy it at the Sprint store). Explain that you don't expect the Sprint store to have the best deals, but you're willing to pay a little more for the convenience and the confidence, but TWICE as much is rediculous, and now you're going to have to return the phone and order the one from Amazon, and this is going to be a huge inconvenience because and you're going to have downtime (or you'll have to float the price of two phones) and you'll have to goo through the arduous process of provisioning and whatnot again. Do a half-decent job of whining and they'll give you a free month's service and a $100 credit. This totalled $150 for me.

6. Now sell you're existing phone for $100 on eBay (I've got a Sanyo SCP-6200).

To recap:

$350 purchase price, less $50 Sprint rebate, less $150 in Sprint credits as compensation for the frustration of finding the Amazon deal, less $100 for my old phone leaves me with a $50 net cost for the new kickass Treo 300.

And the provisioning was NOT a headache--went smooth as silk--and this phone (and the Vision service) is everything I hoped for and more.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    So a few lies and the loss of integrity for $300? Think about it. I think I will keep my integrity and pay $250.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by utey
    So a few lies and the loss of integrity for $300? Think about it. I think I will keep my integrity and pay $250.
    Whatever. Grow up, Jeremiah.

1) I didn't lie once.
    2) Sprint owes me.
    3) It's not my fault if they play fast and loose with their retention program.
    4) You're a foolish consumer for not taking advantage of Sprint's generosity.
    I agree with utey.
    When enough opportunistic people like yourself abuse the generocity and good faith of a vendor, they become hard-nosed and no longer help or listen to the people who have valid and genuine complaints and concerns.

"Sprint owes owes me."
    What a pathetic whine of entitlement.
    OH COME ON PEOPLE!

Really, just give the guy a break, he did what he did and he got a good deal.

Morals schmorals. Sprint shoves it up my @ss at every turn, I commend this guy on taking advantage of the system.

You rock skidoo! Thanks for the tip.

D.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Bluejay
    I agree with utey.
    When enough opportunistic people like yourself abuse the generocity and good faith of a vendor, they become hard-nosed and no longer help or listen to the people who have valid and genuine complaints and concerns.

"Sprint owes me."
    What a pathetic whine of entitlement.
    Just think, if you'd gotten your Treo 300 for 50 bucks you'd have more money for your Mao t-shirts and granola bars.

Entitlement? No child, exactly the opposite. I don't feel entitled to anything. That's where my brain comes in. Higher functioning. You should do some experiments. You might be able to pull yourself up from the bottom of the food chain. But I do hear the rent's cheap down there....
    Originally posted by skidoo
    Just think, if you'd gotten your Treo 300 for 50 bucks you'd have more money for your Mao t-shirts and granola bars.
    Sorry if the following is slanderous but...

BWAHAHAAHHAAAHHAAAA!

That's funny!
    That's the problem...everybody wants something and they are the first to complain about Sprint...Sprint owes you nothing...bud... They have done a better job than the rest and repay them by taking advantage...then we wonder why they have to cut back on personnel...someone hasto pay your $250.
    wow I'm amazed that took a lot of thought.

Also a lot planning and preparation.

You know if you used some of that effort in everyday life I'm sure you would be honestly succesful. Not saying your not but those skills could easily be used to do the honest thing and win too.

I like a great deal as much as the next guy but scams like that are a waste of time and cost companies money. small and large. It really helps inflation too.

Thanks for keeping the cost of business more expensive for the rest of the crowd.

Bravo
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by blazetailman
    Thanks for keeping the cost of business more expensive for the rest of the crowd.
    Thanks for being the rest of the crowd. Or rather, herd.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Morals is morals, and maybe you may find yourself later paying that $200-300 you schemed off Sprint in some other way (everything is cyclical), but, you still can't change the fact that skidoo got himself a solid-@ss hustle.

Question is: Why would you go through all that trouble to save $, considering your implied top of the food-chain status? That's like grindin the hell out of a Bentley salesman for a better deal.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by glenng
    Question is: Why would you go through all that trouble to save $, considering your implied top of the food-chain status? That's like grindin the hell out of a Bentley salesman for a better deal.
    Sport.
    What a stupid thread!

BTW, I got Sprint to pay me $50 for accepting a TREO!

Here is my equally inane story:

I bought a kyocera 6035 at Compusa. With coupons this $150 purchase was free.

The phone stopped working an Sprint gave me about $100 is service rebates to make up for this problem.

They then sent me a phone that did not work. I retuned that. They claimed they would send me out another when they got a refurb. WHEN?

I called and they offered to replace it with a samsug I phone. I agreed but then got supicious and checked the warehouse ... there were none avail!

I called again and complained. They offered to sell me a treo for $250, PLUS give me $100 more credit for my lost service.

I bought the phone and submitted the reciept via handspring for the rebate. Lets see ...

100+100+100-250=$50 profit!

OTOH, if I figger my time doing all this at minimum wage ..errr ahhhh!