1.    #1  
    I've been looking for some sort of utility or way to make a tone go off when I open and close the lid on my Treo....does anybody know how to do this?
    Techsounds from Ecamm (www.ecamm.com) allows you to have a sound play when you power up and shut down... it would work for when the flip is opened or closed, but also when you power up the treo for anything else as well...
    Just curious, but why do you want this? To make it more like Start Trek?
  4.    #4  
    Of Course! I have to revel in the geekyness of flipping open my Treo, and talking into it like Captain Kirk. It has to make the noise, though.
    The only think missing is Voice Activation.....
    I think Handspring or other 3rd party software developers really need to look into enabling voice dial and voice notes for the treo.
    There isn't enough processing power in the 180 to do anything that is voice activated
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Any good?

THanks
  8.    #8  
    Actually - I have it - got the registered version; it works great. Only problem so far is once it wouldn't make any sounds. After about 10 minutes after that, no problems at all.

Why can basic cell phones do voice activation, but the treo not?
    Why can basic cell phones do voice activation, but the treo not?

The other cell phones have it built into the hardware - then processing power isn't really an issue - but if someone made a software solution for the Treo, it would have to somehow work on a 33 mHz processor...
    because other cellphones either do wht the Treo 300 can do, IE use a service based voice command (Sprint PCS), where you dial a number (*), and than talk, or becuase other cellphones have specialtly chips that they use to process the voice, and are optimized to process voice..
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by pilot1000user
    There isn't enough processing power in the 180 to do anything that is voice activated
    I don't believe that. I think Palm/Handspring just haven't bothered to implement it.

I have a 3 year old Ericsson T28 phone. It is teeny and it implements voice dialing. There is no way the CPU in that phone can be more powerful than a modern Palm device.

Keep in mind - the phone need not recognize ANY voice, just a very small known subset.
    I posed this exact same question earlier (why no voice dialing) and I was told by several folks that this is a limitation of the Palm OS hardwired into the Treo, not the Treo hardware in general.

The (older) Palm OS -- on any unit -- is apparently incapable of processing sound input.

Oh, and regarding the Sprint voice dialing: Several of my friends who tried it said it's actually not worth much; they can dial faster (on their Treos or on their other phones) by punching a speed dial button rather than hitting *, waiting, then saying a name.
  13.    #13  
    That kinda makes sense - I don't know of any Palms that allow voice recording at all.

That's too bad - I had a Ericsson T28W that would activate voice dialing when you flipped open the lid; Voice Activation is the one major feature missing from the Treo.
    The old Kyocera 6035 had voice activated dialing (with Verizon, at least).

Jordan
  15.    #15  
    was the kyrocera a palm os phone?
  16. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Yes--it was the first one to really catch on.
    Last edited by Q; 12/03/2002 at 08:51 AM.
    This PalmOS device can record voice memos. I don't know if it has special hardware, but it was also the first palmOS device to be able to dial phones with DTMF.
  18. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by paperclip
    This PalmOS device can record voice memos. I don't know if it has special hardware, but it was also the first palmOS device to be able to dial phones with DTMF.
    Actually, the TRGPro (from the same company) could do it too. It took what was "special" hardware for the time--other devices (i.e. Sony) might be able to do it now, if they had the appropriate drivers.
    Last edited by Q; 12/03/2002 at 09:04 AM.