1.    #1  
    Does anyone know why Handspring will not admit to the Treo having a MAJOR intermittent echo problem? Every time I call them they say I'm the first they've heard of an echo problem...are they covering up? And what's crazier, Handspring Support denies hearing any echo during my entire 15 minute conversation with them!!!
    I'd noticed the echo on my Treo even with headset. I thought maybe it was environmental or geographic, but mostly blamed the Treo. I was willing to put up with it.

This past Sunday, my Treo was stolen. I had an old Nokia 5190 around, so after a coversation with Cingular, I bought another SIM, dropped it in and was on my way.

Except that the echo problem is worse with the Nokia. Much more notable. And the damn thing doesn't have my entire address book innit. Or a memo pad, calendar or speakerphone.

SO, I think the echo is a GSM issue, not a Treo one. Handspring's lack of a clue is more likely solved by Support Roulette- call back and hope for a more experienced operator.

-G
    Impatience makes you UGLY.
    I hate to be pessimistic, but the Treo has many flaws, that are not admitted by Handspring. And you know the deal, Handspring blames T Mobile for the problems and T Mobile likes to blame Handspring as well.

So it's just a "point the finger" game from here.

It took a while for Handspring to admit having the dead LCD screen problem. But they have yet to admit to the "headset button hangs up phone" problem. They got a patch for us quickly, but never placed that patch on their website.

Sidenote:
    Do you see how low the Handspring stock went? 52-week low is at $.52 and now it's currently at $.91.

Something's definately wrong!

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
  4.    #4  
    I reloaded the Rogers GPRS software (as the Support person told me to do) and my headset seems to be working now. We'll see how long that lasts for.
    Can you email me the patch. My Treo has already crashed a couple of times in the call screen.
    hotweiss@hotmail.com
  6.    #6  
    Go to www.rogers.com for the Canadian GPRS patch.
    Handspring does not admit to anything other than charging your credit card. It's 1 thing to make a flawed product and its another not to admit it.
  8. :-)
    The treo 270 does have this echo problem and it is really bad when using the speaker phone (I have not with the head set though) and after the fourth replacement they finally told me that the GPRS update should fix the "minor" problem. Well I have done the GPRS update 1.1 and the problem still exists! I think they told me that just to stall me and keep me from getting another warranty replacement. The worst part is I can't tell them they are full of it till the update is approved for cingular. They tried to tell me it was the system, But I have had just about every Phone cingular has offered over the past 5 years (Erricson cf768, t68, Motorola L7082i, V60 Nokia 5190, 6190, 8290, 8890 and not mention all the ones my family has or have had) and none of them echo! Even now when I put my SIM in one of my old phones, NO ECHO!

My personal Theory is that they did not physically insulate the mic well enough from sound vibration and the speaker vibrates the phone all the way down to mic. Thus letting the mic pick up sound from the speaker. This coupled with the spit second delay inherent in digital phones (due to the time it takes to encode and decode digital to analog and vise versa) and vwala! You have you have an echo so bad your clients complain that you need to call them back to get a better connection.

My reason for thinking its physical problem rather than electronic internal shielding is that one time I replaced the housing on my Motorola L7082i with an after market one, it turned out that the mic fit more snugly in the new case. This extra pressure on the rubber around the mic, caused the same echo until I put it back in the old case.

All in all I like my treo So much that I'm willing to work through this, but if they don't get there stuff together soon I'm going to lose patients. The last thing I want to do is spend money on something that does not work as it should.
    late!
    what echo....what echo
    I have never experienced any echo problems. Maybe you should get your unit replaced...
  11.    #11  
    You won't experience the echo. It's the other party that experiences it. People you were speaking to probably never bothered to tell you. Next time, ask them if they hear an echo. Anyone who thinks they don't have an echo problem are just naive and don't realize it!!!! In terms of the GPRS update, Handspring told me to load it to get rid of the echo. I'm with Rogers so it is approved with my carrier. They are full of crap since I've loaded it twice and it doesn't fix the echo problem even one bit. We'll see what they reply to me. Using the headset might be the only solution, since there has never been an echo while I used the headset
    I too, hae never received the echo. My wife would definately tell me if there was one. I really think it is a local carrier problem with latency. I had a pcs account several years ago and had the problem, and they had to tweak the transmitters...
    Bob
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by tlcbob
    I too, hae never received the echo. My wife would definately tell me if there was one. I really think it is a local carrier problem with latency. I had a pcs account several years ago and had the problem, and they had to tweak the transmitters...
    So why does the echo only occur with the treo and not other GSM/GPRS phones?
  14.    #14  
    And why is there no echo when I use the headset?
    Originally posted by asj7

So why does the echo only occur with the treo and not other GSM/GPRS phones?
    I had the problem with a Siemens phone on a GSM network. After the local office adjusted some network settings on their side, the echo subsided. I dunno...
    Bob
    Looks like the GPRS patch solves the problem...

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/187-1.htm
    Bob
    No one I have ever called had ever commented on tihs problem, but when I received my 2nd Treo, the first thing I did was load the GPRS patch (which was quite straight forward).

The second call I made, the person on the other end said "there's a really big echo on this line".

Mind you that's the only person to comment in 4 days.

Also - No Black screen of death in 4 days!

That's a record for me :-)

Andrew
    I call my 270 all the time when my wife has it I have never heard an echo calling to or calling from. this is the best cell phone I have ever had. It could just be a bad batch like the old visor memory problem.
    Have my Treo 270 snce June no echo problem here either.

Originally posted by paulweiss
    I have never experienced any echo problems. Maybe you should get your unit replaced...
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Note that the GPRS patch that fixes the problem is the US version that they are releasing next week and NOT the one currently available and only supported for users outside the US. The echo problem fix is being added into it.