Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Treo 270 crashes periodically(not all the time) when I answer the phone using the headset button.

I would open up the Treo 270 lid to see what happened and would see the caller id listed, the "answer press headset button" and the "Ignore Press Scroll Up" icons.

I would tap the screen and I can't do anything, nothing responds, none of the buttons respond. I have to wait for the screen to go away(like 5 minutes).

I try to power down the phone, but that would be unsuccessful, and I can't reset the device since I have that treostylus with the pen built in(the reset pin is full of ink).

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    There is a patch that fixes this. plus I think it was also fixed in the GPRS update 1.1. do a search of these forums for the patch.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by BladeZ
    There is a patch that fixes this. plus I think it was also fixed in the GPRS update 1.1. do a search of these forums for the patch.
    I got the patch that "doesn't hang up the other party when you answer the call." But this time around, it sometimes freezes the Treo for several minutes.

I don't want to install the GPRS update yet.

Stan
    I experienced a similar crash once. (I don't use the headset very often).
    On an incoming call, I press the headset button to answer the call.
    The ringtone stopped, but the vibrate never stopped.
    The screen was still displaying "press button to answer or ..... to ignore".
    After maybe 1 or 2 minutes of vibrating like this I reset the Treo with the stylus integrated pin.
    I'm waiting and see if I notice it one more time before to adress the issue to Handsping.
    Note that I've the GPRS 1.1 installed and I confirm this is not related to the "hang up the other party when you answer the call"
    TreoBuddy
    TreoFrance , la première communauté francophone entièrement dédiée au Treo
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies guys. My unit stops vibrating when I press the headset button.

I remember one time, I pressed the headset button to answer the call, and the person was yelling hello, and her voice was coming thru the speaker on the Treo 270 unit itself! Not from the earpiece.

I volunteer for the American Red Cross, so driving and talking on the cell phone is a must.

Damn, is there a better solution to a PDA/Cell phone combo????

Stan
    Originally posted by Stanward
    I remember one time, I pressed the headset button to answer the call, and the person was yelling hello, and her voice was coming thru the speaker on the Treo 270 unit itself! Not from the earpiece.
    A similar problem is described by Aceofbase in this thread

So we can list 2 important issues with TREO (mine is 270) after GPRS 1.1 upgrade :
    Headset is plugged, an incoming call occurs, the user press the headset button and then :[list=1][*]Treo freezes. It stops ringing but may keep vibrating. Further action on any key or button have no effect. You need to reset or to wait a few minutes before to get your Treo back[*]OR You can answer the call but you can hear the caller in the Treo speakerphone instead of in the earpiece.[/list=1]
    Do you agree with these two descriptions ? Note that they are not related to the "hang up other party when pressing the answer button from the headset" which was before the GPRS 1.1 upgrade and which was solved by the PhoneHalLib patch.
    TreoBuddy
    This is well summarised by Treobuddy.

I have sent an email off to Handspring on the "wrong speaker" issue, but not on the "phone freezing" issue - but I got that problem this morning.

When (if?) I hear from handspring, I will let you all know
  8.    #8  
    Thank you all to everyone who posted replies to my question.

I'm glad you all could provide some insight.

I hope the GPRS patch will fix these problems.

I'll wait till Handspring officially distributes the patch for the US market.

Stan
    OK-

Eventually loaded the GPRS patch, and all problems seem to be solved. Amazing how excited I got just to get the Treo to do what is was supposed to do in the first place.

By the way, I loaded the GPRS patch even though I am not using GPRS.
    Sorry, but as mentioned above, the GPRS 1.1 patch doesn't solve the "Treo crashes on answer with headset" issue.
    TreoBuddy
    I guess I should have been more specific. The patch seemed to have solved all of the problems that I was experiencing, being the "hang up on other party" and the "answer on wrong speaker" issues.

I have experienced the crashing issue, but only once before. Maybe my time will come....
  12.    #12  
    Does the GPRS upgrade make the phone apps quicker? I am pissed at the speed of the unit when I press a speed dial entry. Or if I want to Cancel a dial, the unit is so slow that I ended up hitting "call hold" when the new screen appears.

Stan

Originally posted by aceofbase
    I guess I should have been more specific. The patch seemed to have solved all of the problems that I was experiencing, being the "hang up on other party" and the "answer on wrong speaker" issues.

I have experienced the crashing issue, but only once before. Maybe my time will come....
    Stan,

I have not noriced any difference in speed. However, my unit does not seem to be so slow as it sounds yours is. The only time I notice it being slow is when I am working on an app, and I receive a call - the Treo seems to almost hang and by the time it brings on the "answer or ignore" screen, it has interpreted some of my previous keystrokes as and answer or ignore, depending on where the stylus was at the time.
  14.    #14  
    When I press on a speed dial entry, it takes about 2.5 seconds for the screen to change. Closer to 3 seconds.

Same when I press on "Cancel" icon, it takes 2.5 to 3 seconds for the screen to change.

Stan
    Mine takes less than 0.5 seconds for the actions you mention. I would try removing the apps and see if that makes a difference. If it does then reinstall one by one to see which one is causing a problem. Alternatively contact Handspring - maybe you should replace your unit

Good luck!
  16.    #16  
    Hi!

No, it's not any of my apps that are doing that. I tried by doing a hard reset, then performed the above tests using my digital camera that can do avi.

I sent the avi file to another treocentral colleague and he too said his worked the same.....very slow.

I am one of the first people to ever get the Treo 270 when it first came out.

Thanks for the info. At least I know it's the Treo 270.

When did you get yours?

Stan

Mine takes less than 0.5 seconds for the actions you mention. I would try removing the apps and see if that makes a difference. If it does then reinstall one by one to see which one is causing a problem. Alternatively contact Handspring - maybe you should replace your unit

Good luck!
    September 2002. - So it is relatively new.
  18.    #18  
    Thanks! I will definately look into it.

Stan

September 2002. - So it is relatively new.
    Seems to me that this thread has diverted its course.
    Anyhow, I continue to be one of those suffering from the "continuous vibration" problem, ie the phone rings, stops, but vibration continues and doesn't stop until I reset.
    This happens like every 1 out of 3 times I use the headset to answer the call.
    Sent an email to HandSpring and got this response:

"At this point, I would recommend you contact our Wireless Technical Support
    Line directly. Our agent will be required to collect standard billing
    information, as there is a $19.95 charge for all technical support issues
    for owners of Handspring products over 90 days old. We will continue to
    troubleshoot your issue, which may result in a replacement. If your unit is
    over 90 ninety days since the original purchase date, should the mandatory
    troubleshooting steps be unsuccessful, our agent may waive the $19.95
    technical support charge if we issue you a replacement."

I don't get this kind of response from Nokia, Motorola nor Ericsson, ever since I started using mobile phones in 1992.

Given the many problems of the Treo, I can only conclude that HandSpring had not learnt enough to make a good phone nor to behave like a phone company. They need to understand that the phone is "mission-critical" and quite different from the PDA or PC, in that respect.
  20.    #20  
    Yes!! I agree with the "mission critical" statement. My Treo 270 jus died last night, due to the Ver 1.1.1 GPRS upgrade!!! Now I have NO phone to use now, I'm waiting for Handspring to send me the replacment. Most likely a refurbished unit with other problems! I am leaving on a business trip soon, on Dec. 1.

Imagine having the stupid blank screen problem when you're away on a business trip!!!!!!!!!

Stan

Originally posted by LinJS
    Given the many problems of the Treo, I can only conclude that HandSpring had not learnt enough to make a good phone nor to behave like a phone company. They need to understand that the phone is "mission-critical" and quite different from the PDA or PC, in that respect.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast