Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I really don't understand what SMS is. Can someone explain to me the difference between SMS and e-mail?

If I want my wife me@sprintpcs.com an e-mail message from our home computer is that SMS?

Or is SMS ONLY when someone with another cell phone types in a msg.

When I press the blue function button followed by the far left phone icon button on my Treo 300 I get a screen called "Messages". If Sprint Vision was working perfectly, would I EVER be able to receive e-mails from the home computer here? Or is this strictly SMS phone-to-phone msgs which is something completely different?

The Spring ads say "Introducing the Treo 300; PCS Phone + organizer + email". Which email are they referring to, just the SMS?
    SMS is different from email.

SMS messages can be sent phone-to-phone.

People can email an SMS message to your phone though, by sending a mail to phone_number@messaging.sprintpcs.com.

In the Sprint add when the say email I believe they mean email. You can get any number of email clients for your Treo and access your email accounts.

Josh
    www.whatis.com and type in SMS
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Why wouldn't you just use e-mail? If you have an e-mail account the Treo can read, why would you ever use SMS?
    SMS is a short text message (often called "text messaging") and is sent to a phone number. It pops up on your screen (or on the Treo 300 it does anyway) and is viewed instantly. It is handy when you are in a meeting or need to be contacted quickly without the need to do much of anything to find it.

Think of a text message sent to a pager ... very similar.

Email is ... well, email. You must have an email address and an email program to access your email loaded on your Treo.

Email can be saved, filed and stored. Text messages (SMS) can be stored for a short time but you usually just read them and delete them.

If you are stuck in traffic heading to a meeting you can send a quick SMS to somebody to tell them you are running late. Or your wife can send you an SMS to tell you to get milk on your way home. Short and sweet. They usually have a limit of 160 characters.

Hope that is helpful.
    They key thing about SMS's is they're typically delivered immediately or at least very quickly. They don't require someone to check their email, instead they push to the recipient and sound some sort of alarm/tone/ringer.

Good for short quick messages that are only relevant if read in a timely manner.

Your wife could email you to pick something extra up from the store on the wya home, but you may not check your email till you get home. With SMS, it'll beep at you (very quietly, one of the crappy parts of the Treo).
    Great minds ...

My post here is totally off-topic, but ...

Originally posted by samsap4
    The Spring ads say ...
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who tends to mis-type "Sprint" as "Spring"
  9.    #9  
    Hi, I'm the original poster (and appalled at my earlier early morning typos!)

Thanks Llynx et al for your info.

When you folks are describing my wife sending me an SMS to pick up milk on the way home, it is now clear to me that this is nearly identical to a text page.

But am I to understand that she can only send me this if she has a PCS phone and enters the msg via that means?
    Can't do it from desktop computer?

Sprint (Spring, whatever...!) gave me a user id....
    "abc123@sprintpcs.com"
    when the heck would I ever use that? Nothing to do with SMS?
    Your wife should eMail to <yourphonenumber>@messaging.sprintpcs.com.
    Originally posted by Llynx
    Great minds ...

ROFL!!!!
    She can email ##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com to send you a text page by email. (where ## is your number).

You would use yourusername@sprintpcs.com simply as you'd use any other email account given to you. Yes, Sprint provides you with free email account. If you can get it to register. :P Since you probably already have an email account, you don't really need it.
    there are also many sites that allow you to send sms messages for free. yahoo for one. go to yahoo.com and click on 'mobile' or just use this link. i think the sprint site has something too but we all know how easy (koff, koff!) it is to interact with the sprint site.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/

i'm sure there are many other sites as well.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jshrieve
    Your wife could email you to pick something extra up from the store on the wya home, but you may not check your email till you get home. With SMS, it'll beep at you (very quietly, one of the crappy parts of the Treo).
    Why wouldn't she just call me? If I don't answer, she'd leave a voicemail message. I still don't understand the point of SMS in this context.
    Because some people prefer text? For certain messages?

Geez, it's like people gotta b*tch at being given a choice. =P

Maybe your wife might call you because she doesn't care if she interrupts you. But let's say it's your friend or coworker who knows you're in class or at a meeting.. so you won't answer phone or voicemail, but you can still read a text message.

If you can't think of a use for it, don't use it!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jshrieve
    [B]Geez, it's like people gotta b*tch at being given a choice. =P
    I'm not b*tching (hilarious automatic censorship by the way; what is this, fifth grade?), I'm just calling a spade a spade, and trying to figure out why I should care. SMS seems silly. It doesn't seem very practical. Maybe it's fun for college kids, but so are beer bongs and sarapes.

Maybe your wife might call you because she doesn't care if she interrupts you.
    Hmmm. Isn't that what that little switch on the top of the phone is for?

But let's say it's your friend or coworker who knows you're in class or at a meeting.. so you won't answer phone or voicemail, but you can still read a text message.
    And I can still listen to voicemail. I guess if I were in a lecture, and I didn't want to make it obvious that I wasn't paying attention, the SMS might be useful. But fiddling with a PDA is almost as transparent (and rude) as sticking a phone to your ear.

If you can't think of a use for it, don't use it!
    If you actually do use it, don't be so defensive !
    I use SMS in negotiations when I want to send and receive messages to coworkers without the opposition knowing what's going on...works great!
  18.    #18  
    Hey gang. Thanks for the help. I have just sent myself a test SMS msg from home computer to Treo and it worked!

Why would I want SMS vs. phone call? My wife is 7 months pregnant, and I spend most of my day in mtgs where it is innappropriate to answer a phone or check msgs. Now if my machine vibrates and I look down and there is a text msg that says "Contractions 5 min apart and lasting 60 seconds" I'll thank you guys for showing me how to get started on SMS.

Other questions:

1. Sending from home computer shows FROM: "No Caller ID". I don't suppose there is a way to change that to something meaningful?

2. Don't suppose there is a way to reply to SMS msg sent from home computer? That would be very cool, especially during a boring mtg at work.

Thanks

Sam
    (SMS novice, Treo novice, cell phone novice, novice parent)

P.S. Wife bought me the Treo as a gift Labor Day so she could keep in touch during pregnancy. Previously I had refused to own a cell phone!
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by skidoo
    [B]
    I'm not being defensive, just amused by someone spending so much time on something they've decided isn't useful.

The switch on the top of the phone doesn't do you any good. In a meeting, people are constantly on their PDAs. Taking notes, looking up info, etc. An SMS is invisible. Answering your phone, however, is not, nor is checking your voicemail.

There are many situations where it's inconvenient to hang on the end of a phone in case someone comes up with a sentence of info they wanted you to know about. It's not inconvenient to have your phone vibrate, glance at it when you have a spare moment, and move on.

Certainly these situations may not come up often for many people, but SMS is one of the fastest growing communication services out there.. so someone is using it.

To me, there's a few levels of interruption on someone.
    a) I ask you to stay on a phone line with me while I convey my message.
    b) I inform you by beep/vibrate that there's a message I'd like you to see at your earliest convenient moment.
    c) I have a message for you that can wait till whenever.

To me, that translates to
    a) call me
    b) leave me a voicemail or SMS
    c) email me

Here's how I use it, which is only occasionally, maybe some more examples help.
    Email notification. I'm made aware immediately of new emails, particularly urgent ones.
    Requests to come on IM services. There are lots of people who I talk to via IM that I don't necessarily want calling me. Some of them know the command or email address to have an SMS sent to me. Upon receipt I can sign on to IM service and have a short text chat.
    Any other situation where someone has something timely they want to say to me, but don't want to risk bothering me with a voice call.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. Again, no need to use it if you don't find it useful.
    Originally posted by samsap4
    2. Don't suppose there is a way to reply to SMS msg sent from home computer? That would be very cool, especially during a boring mtg at work.
    Well, yes and no. On GSM Treos, when somebody sends you an SMS via email, the message goes through an SMS email gateway before arriving at your Treo. So if you "replied" to the SMS, you'd be sending it to the SMS email gateway, and not the original sender.

But, on GSM, you can send SMS messages to email addresses. Just enter the email address in the "To" field and you're on your way.

The recipient will get an email labeled as being from your carrier. It will have a subject something like "Mobile message." Inside the email will be the body of the SMS message you sent from the phone/Treo.

I don't know how it works on Treo 300 (not GSM). Probably a lot differently. So this post is completely useless. Thorry.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast