1.    #1  
    I tried to download AIM for my Palm.

They were Charging $20.

Any way around this.

I could not use the online AIM at the web site.

Any way around this too.

Thank You.
    yes, aol in all its brilliance has decided that the only people who should have to pay for either aol software or aim are palm users. do some searching at this site for other threads and you should find a link to the slightly older free aim software. or email me or one of the other folks on those threads.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    ...that they are trying to make people pay for it now...same amazingly buggy version that was free a few months ago. I haven't had any problems with any third-party apps except AIM...it causes a Fatal Alert at least once a week, usually more. Make sure you have Filez installed cuz youre gonna need it...

I really wish it worked well...or that they released a new version. But if you're still looking for this .prc file, msg me.
    actually it's free on aol UK. I'm not sure of the URL. Just do a search.
    Actually, the free version thats linked from Treocentral IS the same version that they charge for. it just goes through netscape to get it. I found this AFTER I paid my $20 of course. I emailed handango to question them about this and never heard a reply.
    has anyone gotten aim to work?? I downloaded several different versions and it works fine once, but the next time i sync or use the program I get a fatal error and have to wipe everything on my treo 300. Any Ideas?

here is the error:
    DataMgr.c, Line=8589, Index out of range
    Last edited by darkfox3; 11/12/2002 at 04:22 PM.
  7. jmw
    Originally posted by darkfox3
    has anyone gotten aim to work?? I downloaded several different versions and it works fine once, but the next time i sync or use the program I get a fatal error and have to wipe everything on my treo 300. Any Ideas?

here is the error:
    I get the same problem. It's a damn shame that AIM won't work at all. If other people are getting it to work, maybe there's some other software we have that's causing a conflict...

Anyone out there having no problems with AIM?
    jmw
    Originally posted by darkfox3

here is the error:
    While I understand the error is frustrating, I don't think you have to completely wipe out your Treo. When you reset the Treo, hold the UP button. Once you get to the launcher, remove AIM and then do a soft reset. AIM patches the operating system and appears to do so each time the unit is reset. The UP button disables applications from launching their reset routine and prevents AIM from patching the system.

(AIM patches the system in order to keep running while you switch applications.)