1.    #1  
    Dammit!

You'd think that Handspring would have gotten rid of this problem once and for all. My damn Treo 270 screen died again today, a couple of months after I got my replacement treo.

Anyone else have this problem after their first treo 270 died and received the replacement treo?
    This is my 3rd Treo, just got the last replacement about a week ago. The screen died out each time. I was so annoyed that I wanted to sell it, but nothing compares to a Treo.
    I am on my third treo, the first two lasted 4 and 6 weeks.

I read somewhere that if a screen was defective it would fail during the first few weeks of use, this does not seem to be the case with yours!

My latest replacement has a very bright backlight so I hope it is a new batch which will not fail.

However this does mean that one needs to always live with the fear of it failing even a few months from now.

I do not know if I would have the patience to go through with a 4th replacement!
    Originally posted by manu
    I read somewhere that if a screen was defective it would fail during the first few weeks of use, this does not seem to be the case with yours!
    I read it too. I found the article

A couple quotes:
    "Handspring said devices with the problem are most likely to fail within the first six weeks of ownership"

The company says it has eliminated the component and begun production of a redesigned version of each device. These should begin shipping within two or three weeks. Meanwhile, Handspring will screen its existing inventory to weed out devices with the problem.

Interesting to note that we haven't heard of many, if any, Treo 300 screens failing.
    Originally posted by coolwr
    Dammit!

My damn Treo 270 screen died again today, a couple of months after I got my replacement treo.

Anyone else have this problem after their first treo 270 died and received the replacement treo?
    Oh man... welcome to the club!! I am also on my 3rd Treo. The second one conked out on me after 2 months(9 wks to be exact) on an out of town trip, away from a computer!! I had to use a flashlight to visualize my contacts. My friend was moving his head side to side in pity. I have a $600 unit with a maglite as my light source!! (makes me look kinda stupid, don't you think?)
    I thought I was doing well waiting till November to purchase but 10 days in on my new Treo 270 and this morning no backlight.

No advance shipment in Australia, have to ship the bad-backlight version back, then wait a few days for the replacement unit.

Does anyone know if you get a new unit or a refurbished one?

I get a bad feeling they will ship a refurb which might have the same issue.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    On my third since June....1st replaced for stylus, 2nd broke yesterday morning - worked one second, black the next. Got the replacement today, seems to be alot of black screens....hmmmm
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Refurbished and "bugged" units should go straight into the trash!!

This kind of stuff makes me angry. You think for $500+, the equipment should be flawless.

I am crossing my fingers and hoping that my unit doesn't die out on me when I'm on business.

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    Just a follow-up to my dead screen Treo.

Received replacement Treo 270 back from distributor today 9/12/2002. It looks like a new unit, no scratches and screen protector still in place. It also has the latest GPRS 1.1.1 upgrade applied.

So happier than I was but in the month I have owned it I have only had 2 weeks use.

I now have ordered GPRS service from my carrier which takes 24 hours to activate, hopefully that will go well.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    to share my personal experience.. i got my treo270 in May, the screen went dead a week ago!!!! 6 months .. not 6 weeks as handspring says..
    we all love treo and dedicated to this lovely product.. i believe the best thing we can do is to stop buying this products and share our experience with anyone who thinks of buying it.. till handspring fixes this problem once and for all..