1.    #1  
    I just started using email on my treo (snappermail), and when I check email my battery is going down fast. My understanding is that connection time is about as draining as phone time, but it seems to be exhausting the battery more quickly. I'm worried that I'm somehow staying connected even when I close the lid. Do I need to do something after checking my email to disconnect? Anyone know what's going on? (All in my head?)
    After your done checking your mail try hitting the home key and D. If your connected that should disconnect you? I don't use email, but I've noticed if I open up AIM the battery drains like there's a hole in the bottom of my Treo. Why can't Sprint do messaging like Voice Stream? My buddies are able to stay on with out that problem...
    Anyway. Hope that helps.
    Originally posted by jmbailey
    I just started using email on my treo (snappermail), and when I check email my battery is going down fast. My understanding is that connection time is about as draining as phone time, but it seems to be exhausting the battery more quickly. I'm worried that I'm somehow staying connected even when I close the lid. Do I need to do something after checking my email to disconnect? Anyone know what's going on? (All in my head?)
    That's an interesting observation; I've seen the same thing with Mark/Space Mail and I've been scratching my head trying to figure out why. I've made modifications to the application (I wrote it) and it still happens. Someone mentioned hitting disconnect...I know that this doesn't appear to work in Mark/Space Mail and may not work in SnapperMail. I suspect that the only way to make sure you are disconnected is to go into Network Preferences and hit disconnect.
  4.    #4  
    Going to network preferences and pressing "disconnect" does in fact work, and if I don't do this, it stays connected even after I close the lid (at least for a while). Very odd.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    extra battery drain on the treo only occurs when actively down or uploading. You don't have to disconnect when not actively using the internet to save your battery
  6.    #6  
    Actually, contrary to the last post, I think it does make a difference if one is connected. Since I started manually disconnecting after checking email, my battery is not draining nearly so fast.
    I agree with the disconnect process. I have seen the same issue with email or allways on network. I do not see it home where I have a better connection. I see it at work where my signal strength is weak. If I disconnect the network, battery drain is minimal. When I have the drain issue, I also have the issue where the back of my Treo is warm. Very frustrating when my battery only lasts a couple of hours. Any suggestions on best network setup? Can you set the time limit for connection if idle? Thanks.