1. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    First, let me start by saying I haven't seen anything yet on this--even at a rumor level. But if we post what we'd like to see, who knows? After all, Handspring reps do read these boards...

So, here's what I'd like to see in one...

- Backlit keyboard, with raised dots on the F and J like desktop/laptop keyboards (as was discussed on another topic--I forget which)
    - onboard Bluetooth
    - vibrating battery

Some of you may be wondering why on the vibrating battery. I see two particular benefits for it on a device like the 90. First, the ability to set alarms to vibrate (and I'd like to see vibrate as an option when setting individual alarms, not just as a volume option). Second, if you're using the device to check email (especially over a Bluetooth connection where a push/"quasi-push" arrangement could work nicely), I for one would want it to vibrate rather than beep, just the way I leave my phone on vibrate rather than have to switch it back and forth.
    I agree with you (except for maybe the built-in bluetooth that would add about $100 to the price) and have a few more things I'd like to see added.

-os 5...one of the best handhelds out there needs to run on the latest palm os
    -hi-res 16bit tft display
    -jog-dials on all future Treos
    -the possibility of 32mb or higher of built-in memory (16mb is nice, but seems minuscule compared to ppc devices...avantgo and a full-size dictionary takes up a large chunk of my memory)
    Originally posted by hman611
    I agree with you (except for maybe the built-in bluetooth that would add about $100 to the price) and have a few more things I'd like to see added.

-os 5...one of the best handhelds out there needs to run on the latest palm os
    -hi-res 16bit tft display
    -jog-dials on all future Treos
    -the possibility of 32mb or higher of built-in memory (16mb is nice, but seems minuscule compared to ppc devices...avantgo and a full-size dictionary takes up a large chunk of my memory)
    Amen
    I love my Treo 90.
    i would like to see a 8 way touchpad that we we dont have to keep taking the stylus out while using the thumbboard
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by hman611
    I agree with you (except for maybe the built-in bluetooth that would add about $100 to the price)
    At one point I read that the target for BT chips (integrated, not like the BT SD card) was around $5/unit--anyone know how close to that we are now? $100/unit , while not impossible, seems a bit high. Also, considering HS's history with Flash ROM (as another component they opted not to include for a while, due in large part to cost reasons), I'd expect them to time it in much the same way.

The next best thing, IMO, would be a dual-slot Treo--the only issue there (other than maybe cost) would be that the card would stick out a bit, so it might be hard to leave in the slot without breaking. Toshiba's new, smaller one would be better, but would still stick out a bit.
    Actully, I've been thinking about this recently. I love the Treo 90 form factor - keep it! Add a backlit keyboard, and take ALL THE INTERNALS from the Tungsten T and put it in the Treo. Bluetooth, and that most amazing screen that Palm uses (You ahve to see it to belive it). But price it $100 less than the TT. I want a TT but I absoultly hate the form factor (the slide is crap IMHO.. no apple iMac smooth-ness) , yet love the Treo's Form Factor... 16 MB is still fine, becuase if it keeps costs down I will live with it. If making 32 MB doens't change the end cost by more than a dollar or to than do it, but normalyl it's not like that...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by miradu
    I love the Treo 90 form factor - keep it! Add a backlit keyboard, and take ALL THE INTERNALS from the Tungsten T and put it in the Treo.
    Interesting... I wondered for a moment if it would fit (i.e. the battery, etc.) but the TT collapsed is just about the same size--I think--as the 90. Maybe a touch thicker. Without the slide to account for, though, it seems like it should work.

Oh, and I'd definitely keep the D-pad, too. Wasn't sure if you were counting that as part of the internals.
    Whatever they do - they should not change the form factor - it is terrific (particularly the integrated screen cover).

A hi-res screen would be a great improvement - but not at expense of battery life and size.

Backlight the keyboard for sure.

Ditch the AC adapter and go with a USB charge/sync cable. If you're concerned about unpowered USB hubs, then make the AC adapter a booster for non-powered hubs; not a required part of the travel mix.

66mhz Dragonball.

Two other "radical" alternatives both involving dropping the keyboard: (1) just drop the keyboard, write on screen with Recoecho, and cut another inch off the form factor; (2) go quarter VGA and use virtual graffiti or Recoecho on screen.
    aha.. but i fell in love with the Treo keyboards, (and i have used them on a 90, 180 and 300) They are so fast, and jsut eaiser and take less work to right, plus it is eaiser to type in a URL under a desk with a kb, than with a stylus

Yes, keep the dpad. The TT is great except for that awful slide... I alos disagree with teh cut costs with USB charge sync etc. Make that work, but also keep an AC adaptor. I dont' ahve a laptop, so when i goon trips I bring my PDAs and accesories. IF hte trip is more tha na couple of days i need a charger - i like having a free charger included. IT would be a pain to have to buy a new charger for all the new connectors that will evnetually come out from various companies
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff