1.    #1  
    I have seen several references on this board to the dreaded flashing "Palm Powered" screen. I now have that affliction. Does anyone know a cure other than a hard reset? Does anyone know the cause? I have seem speculation that AIM is the cause (I have it installed but not running). Thanks in advance for the help.
    Someone said in a thread to do a warm reset (hold the top scroll buttin when u reset I believe) and then delete the app in question and then try a regulkar warm reset.
    Originally posted by dboris
    I have seen several references on this board to the dreaded flashing "Palm Powered" screen. I now have that affliction. Does anyone know a cure other than a hard reset? Does anyone know the cause? I have seem speculation that AIM is the cause (I have it installed but not running). Thanks in advance for the help.
    I can't help you much but to say my TREO did the exact same thing last night and would not recover. I had to do a hard reset in order to correct the problem. I do not have AIM installed on my treo. I was just downloading my bank info and it started to flash.
    Thank Heaven for Backup Buddy!
    a2rob
  4.    #4  
    I did try the warm reset (before my first post) but it did nothing. I don't know what the offending piece of software is.

Handspring has the following on their support site:

"One cause of this kind of problem is a piece of software called the Palm IR Enhance updater which allows your Palm OS 3.1 handheld to communicate with IrDA devices. The IR Enhance package contains four files for your handheld but contrary to the instructions with this updater from Palm, only a single file called serircomm.prc should be installed on Handspring handhelds."

But I don't know if I have this program or even how to tell as I have never seen it in applications!

Second question: How is backup buddy better than just a hard reset and a hot-sync?
    Originally posted by dboris
    I did try the warm reset (before my first post) but it did nothing. I don't know what the offending piece of software is.

Handspring has the following on their support site:

"One cause of this kind of problem is a piece of software called the Palm IR Enhance updater which allows your Palm OS 3.1 handheld to communicate with IrDA devices. The IR Enhance package contains four files for your handheld but contrary to the instructions with this updater from Palm, only a single file called serircomm.prc should be installed on Handspring handhelds."

But I don't know if I have this program or even how to tell as I have never seen it in applications!

Second question: How is backup buddy better than just a hard reset and a hot-sync?
    I just searched for that file on my TREO and it is nt there. It must be installed in the rom.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Yep, I have seen this too, on a Palm Vx. In my case, it was due to AIM. If you do a reset while pressing the scroll up button, this disables Palm OS extensions, and will allow you to delete AIM and any other offending files. Remember that the Treo runs OS 3.5.2H, a customized version of OS 3.5, and Palm OS patches and some apps won't run properly on it.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I had this happen to me the other day. It happened during one of the infamous failure to connect to vision spontaneous resets. I tried to do a reset during what was going to be a connection failure. I think I hit the reset pin at the same time it was starting its own reset. I had to do a hard reset to get out of it. I too do not have AIM on my Treo.
    I too am experienced a "flashing palm" screen with a hard reset (which I'm still fixing despite BackupBuddy). The last software I added was SmartList (old ThinkDB) and that new Recoecho off Handsprings site...

Any other possible offenders?