1.    #1  
    I use the earpiece a great deal, and am frustrated that I have to open the phone to use the telephone keypad. For example, when I check voicemail, I want to push play, delete, save, etc with numbers 4, 7, 9 respectively, but to do so, I need to open the phone.....so,

Has anyone comtemplated - or attempted - to remove the hard, clear protective screen? I want to, which would enable access to the screen while the phone is closed. I'm not worried about losing the protection that it provides, b/c I plan to buy a pack of those screen sheet stickers that come in packs of 10 or 12.

Otherwise, let me know if there is another way around the inconvenience I presented, and if you have the same frustration.
    If I am not mistaken the flip cover contains the speaker for the unit...so I would think it is a bad idea to remove it, no alarms, or any ability to use without the earbud would exist !!!!
    I'm also wondering if opening the cover "activates" the unit - in other words, maybe those keys/buttons wouldn't even work if the cover were closed and you removed the clear plastic for access....good luck, it'll be scary to attempt.
  4.    #4  
    Sorry that I wasn't more clear. I am referring to simply the 2 by 2 inch window, not the whole top part. In another thread that was similar, someone jokingly suggested to drill holes through the screen the size of the stylus.

I'm considering it, b/c I can't stand how often I need to open the phone to do something that I feel like I should be able to do with it close. And yes, I understand PowerJog could alleviate some of these issues, but again, I want access to the numerical keypad with the lid closed.

Thanks,
    I'm considering it. I also hate lifting the lid all the time, plus I want to cut the thickness 1/4". I realize it isn't a common preference, but I'd like to try it.

I want to remove the entire flip, and then find a solution to the "missing speaker" problem.

Matt
    Originally posted by jpmicucci
    Sorry that I wasn't more clear. I am referring to simply the 2 by 2 inch window, not the whole top part. In another thread that was similar, someone jokingly suggested to drill holes through the screen the size of the stylus.

I'm considering it, b/c I can't stand how often I need to open the phone to do something that I feel like I should be able to do with it close. And yes, I understand PowerJog could alleviate some of these issues, but again, I want access to the numerical keypad with the lid closed.

Thanks,
    I guess I don't see how removing the window gets you access to the keypad. It would only get you access to the screen.

It would seem to me that you are going to need to modify your unit by removing the whole flip cover and then always be committed to using your headset.
    I think mcdonough meant access to the electronic phone keypad on the screen, not the qwerty keypad.

Hey, whatever works. Might look a little odd, though, when you're on a call with the lid open and your ear is sticking through the window. Maybe you could put a little doggy door on it.
    Last night I took my little buddy apart to understand the feasibility of these things. Some items of interest:

I now have the front cover removed. It's awesome not having to remove the cover to do EVERYTHING!! And it's amazing how small my Treo is now. 0.6" thick except for the hinge (more about that below). So this is basically a Tungten W from what I've seen. Anyway I'm a big fan of being able to access everything without a big cover to lift. At work the flip cover was so big, obvious and just didn't look professional -it looked like I was screwing with my phone instead of using my PDA. Of course I had to unplug the speaker. Thus, I have to use the handsfree for now. But...

I've tested the mic by holding the hinge area up to my ear, and the mic will work fine from that position. My wish is to find a small speaker element that I can install where the hinge is now, but flush with the case. Of course, there isn't much room back there, but there is a little... I'll be removing the hinge plastic if it looks likely to succeed.

Other stuff...

Man is the plastic used for the case cheap and lousy. Our units would feel so much nicer if they had sprung for some stiff, solid plastic similar to a motorola phone.

The battery won't be that hard for users to replace.

The antenna looks poorly supported, by that same cheap plastic. I think some will end up breaking it, during a fall or in a pocket. luckily, the load is not transmitted to the circuit board -there are just contacts that rest against the antenna connection

My keyboard has always made a cheap sound on occasional use of the 2 or 3 (u or i) keys. I found out it is the plastic key plate that functions as the keyboard face and allows the visible keys to flex and press the little microswitches behind them. Well, it's cracked all the way through in two places. It's always made that noise, so I think it was split when assembled. It doesn't cause any problem except the noise, but if yours is making a similar click, now you know it's not a keyboard about to fail.

So, I'm testing the utility of the faceless treo now. I was worried about the buttons being depressed when it's in my pocket but that doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm keeping an eye on screen scratches since I keep mine in a pocket, but I never put anything else in that pocket, so I hope it won't be an issue. Since the original cover is clear and meant for viewing, it had to be treated with respect anyway.

I'll keep you posted.

Matt
    you're a braver man than i am, gunga din...
    Brave? Who said anything about being brave? I've got Sprint's Equipment Replacement Program!!!

[My keyboard has always made a cheap sound on occasional use of the 2 or 3 (u or i) keys. I found out it is the plastic key plate that functions as the keyboard face and allows the visible keys to flex and press the little microswitches behind them. Well, it's cracked all the way through in two places. It's always made that noise, so I think it was split when assembled. It doesn't cause any problem except the noise, but if yours is [/B]
    I have the same "problem" with the 5, 8 & 9 keys... thanks for the info.....
    ETUTREO300
    How did you get the hinge apart to remove the cover? I had mine apart to try to fix the hinge wobble some of us have. I didn't see much access the the hinge hardware.
    Thanks
    So were you able to fix that wobble (which I also have)? If so, was it a straightforward procedure?

thanks...aa.
    AA,
    No I didnt fix the wobble problem. I did have the treo open though. But I couldnt see how to get to a screw that appeared to be the only access to the hinge hardware. I was hoping u00mem9 could shed some light on that, since it sounded like he got his off.
    I did fix the not so silent "silent" mode, by tightening the bracket that the vibrate motor fits in. Do a search for the thread "treo guts". Its got some great photos posted of the treo insides.
    One downside of removing the clear window would be possible damage or scratching of the screen
    However, if you do remove it a good way of still protecting it would be to use the casetechworks Treo case which has a flexable plastic window.
    www.casetechworks.com
    The screen stays protected, and you can still activate keys through the flexable plastic window