1.    #1  
    I have never used SMS, nor do i think it will be a killer app for me personally since i sit in front of my desktop a lot of the day. however it intrigued me when i started using Yahoo calendar and could send myself reminders (aol calendar would send one, yahoo can send 2 so i send one a week ahead and one a few hours)

i am having yahoo send the msg to (myphone#)@messaging.sprintpcs.com. i get a message, but it seems all i see is a bunch of code about who it was from (i see yahoo in there but the rest would onle mean anything to a msging geek. nothing about the reason for the reminder.

anybody have thoughts on where i should be putting the text i want to see?
    I've got yahoo sending me weather and news updates daily as SMS messages. You should try using your phone # instead of your email.
  3.    #3  
    thanks. not sure how to do that. the yahoo calendar has a field titled 'mobile device email' where you type in the address you want them to use. i was using the format 16315551212@messaging.sprintpcs.com. how would i make that different to do what you are suggesting? any thoughts?
    I'm using yahoo alerts. This may be different from yahoo calendar. I couldn't find yahoo calendar with a quick glance. At any rate my # in in the same way as yours... ##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com and I get news and weather with out a problem. This was probably no help but to let you know, the alerts work great. You do know you can synch Outlook's calendar with your Treo right? Then again, I'm probably the only person using outlook.
    before i switched to Vision plan i was allowed only 50 messages a month that way using ********@messaging.sprintpcs.com

is there a limit still with the vision plan ?
    On vision it's part of the Mb usage which is now Unlimited... someone correct me if I'm wrong. On the original flyer they showed SMS as part of the calculation for the MB usage estimating how many messages you can get before exceeding your monthly MB.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by ferrarinu
    I'm using yahoo alerts. This may be different from yahoo calendar. I couldn't find yahoo calendar with a quick glance. At any rate my # in in the same way as yours... ##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com and I get news and weather with out a problem. This was probably no help but to let you know, the alerts work great. You do know you can synch Outlook's calendar with your Treo right? Then again, I'm probably the only person using outlook.
    yes i know i can sync my calendar, though i do not use outlook's calendar. i know it can be synced as well, but since i can access my yahoo calendar anyplace i can access outlook, i just sync yahoo with the treo.

i get the alerts no problem, but they don't have the text of what the appointment is in the calendar. i will have to experiment with putting some text into the different fields of the calendar 'add event' section until i find the one that comes through with the message.

thanks to all for the help
    Re: not getting full text...my guess is that since you are using SMS, the calendar reminder is being limited to 160 characters, and the reminder is much more than that. You could have the reminder sent to your Vision email address, and get it downloaded that way...just a thought.
  9.    #9  
    that's possible... why all the characters in just the info on where the msg came from?? that seems dumb. i guess i will just stick with email reminders. that was a secondary benefit of switching to yahoo anyway. the main benefit was that i could sync yahoo with the treo. i get a reminder from the treo calendar itself regardless...
    I think you only get the info from where the message came from because that's the "header" info, and goes out first, (eg, from, to, subject, date, etc.), and the body goes into the message last. So, you get all the header, run out of the 160 characters before you get to the body of the SMS. Yahoo is just kicking out an email to your ##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com email address (which SPCS converts to SMS).
  11.    #11  
    that makes sense. thanks a lot.