Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there any way to take advantage of PQA applications on our Treo 300s? There are some cool sites, but it seems as though they require PalmNet.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Yes you can. Follow the instructions on the following link and search the forum for "pqa", there's lots of info.

http://www.golddave.com/palm/howto/u..._palm_vii.html
    Kind of ironic that PQAs live on with the Treo. It will be interesting to see if they continue to survive. In the meantime, I think they're great because of the speed. I have the following loaded on my Treo:

* Directory Assistant (v. 1.4 beta) by Rick Whitt. Outstanding tool that I use frequently. Updated for Treo. Must have!
    * Efinder. Great for quick web searches.
    * Merriam-Webster dictionary.
    * Baseball encyclopedia by David Stark. Great for trivia parties.
    * ThinAir. Use for quickly checking Hotmail.

I know there are a ton of PQAs, but does anyone else use them on the Treo? What are your favorites?
    i just downloaded the ebay pqa, and i have the google pqa as well though i like the palm site better only because its in color. i also agree that directory assistant alone might make this thing worthwhile.

now if i could just get my treo to connect to the web without doing 8 soft resets... grrr
  5.    #5  
    got it working!
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I've never used a PQA before - what's the advantage of using Directory Assistant over the 555-1212.com/palm website?
    Speed, plus with DA you can link directly with your address book to auto-populate fields -- very cool and handy.
    Just as a clarification, DA is not actually a PQA, it's a thick client that accesses the same web site as the 555-1212 PQA. It parses the results and stores them, then allows further action on them.

It makes use of the 2 INetLib files from the Clipper lib set to do it's web access. Then, if you choose to see a map or directions, it will by default use Clipper, which is the shell that runs PQAs. On the other hand, you can elect to use Blazer for the maps and directions.

Advantages?

- Stores results in a local file for later use, and subsequent
    searches can append to this if desired.
    - Saves your last search criteria for later use, optionally maintain
    a list of frequently used strings.
    - Results can be added to your address book, or be dialed
    directly. They can also be saved as Directions Origin or
    Destination for later use in MapQuest directions.
    - Jump directly from a result to a Mapquest map of the address.
    Thanks Rick. Also, one other advantage that's implied by your answer, but you can copy the results of a search and paste into another application. That's especially handy when someone asks for directions; you can quickly find them using DA, then paste into an email.
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    Yes you can. Follow the instructions on the following link and search the forum for "pqa", there's lots of info.

http://www.golddave.com/palm/howto/u..._palm_vii.html
    I followed the above instructions. Now, when I try to use a pqa, I get a fatal alert with the message, "SystemMgr.c,Line:154, unimplemented." Any ideas?
    Did you follow the directions exactly and install all 5 files for Palm OS 3.5 and not the Palm OS 4.1 and reset after the install?
    Have you tried different pqa's and get the same error or just the one?
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    Did you follow the directions exactly and install all 5 files for Palm OS 3.5 and not the Palm OS 4.1 and reset after the install?
    Have you tried different pqa's and get the same error or just the one?
    I installed the 5 files for the Palm OS 3.5 and then did a soft reset. I tried several PQAs that have never worked on my Treo but used to work on my Samsung I-300. I get the error message when using any of the PQAs.
    I'm not sure what to suggest. I know the I-300 uses newer versions of the web clipping libraries ver. 3.5 where as the ones provided from the link are the 3.2 versions, don't know if that makes a difference.
    I have the version 3.5 libraries on my 270 and I've never had any problems. I never reset the proxy server as mentioned either. You might want to try that but I'm not too sure how you change it as far as what proxy numbers get changed.
    Had the same problem... go to the palm preferences application, select wireless, tap on the Proxy window and hit the default button... the PQA's should then work

good luck

and I second the advice on Directory Assistant... rlwhitt rules !

Now Rick, how about a minute counter that works on the Treo 300 ?
    Originally posted by sanovak3681
    Had the same problem... go to the palm preferences application, select wireless, tap on the Proxy window and hit the default button... the PQA's should then work

good luck

and I second the advice on Directory Assistant... rlwhitt rules !

I'm not having any luck. I went to reset the proxy, (and did,) but the numbers stayed the same. I did a soft reset and even re-installed the five files. But I'm still getting the same fatal error message. Any other ideas?
    Last edited by MrSandman; 11/05/2002 at 11:41 AM.
    Where can we find the beta of Directory Assistant?

Thanks!
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I have used PQAs on my Treo 270 since I purchased it. Ilike the pqa usage, because the sitesare optimized for extremely low byte usage. I have even thought about writing a pqa that worked with this message board, so people can post wirelessly! (actually, you can do that with Blazer, or like now, with
    Pocket IE on an HPC)

My favorite PQAs? Starbucks, 555-1212.com, Mapquest (wireless maps and directions) and Thin Air Mail.
    Originally posted by csherman
    Where can we find the beta of Directory Assistant?

Thanks!
    http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/#da
    I'm planning a very much enhanced PLUS version that will be shareware. It has Treo support (the normal stuff, plus color, jog dial support, KB data counter, etc) plus more general additions (both KYO and Treo) of many new features with a ton of user customization. Stay tuned...

Originally posted by sanovak3681
    I haven't received any replies from my last post so I'm trying once again. I followed the instructions exactly, as far as adding those files to get the PQAs working. But I still get a fatal alert when I try to use them. However, I can use any PQA that is self sufficient and does not rely on an internet connection such as "Treo Button," and a handful of others. But the PQAs requiring the internet such as eBay, Amazon.com or 555-1212 are a lost cause.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be wrong? What other options do I have to get it working? Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast