Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    You said 8 bits color on 300. If I am right, others said 270 has 12 bits color. Are you sure they use 8 bits?
    According to Handspring's website it's 12-bit.

http://www.handspring.com/products/treo300/specs.jhtml
    I noticed in your review that you were ecstatic about the screen. I finally made my way over to CompUSA the other day and got to play with a Treo 90 (the Treo 270 and 300 were mockups). I was extremely disappointed in the quality of the screen. I currently own a Samsung i300 and have always been fairly unhappy with that screen as well. Compared to the Treo 90, the i300 seemed quite a bit brighter. Colors were slightly better on the Treo 90. The i300 also has some screen oddities (e.g. - streaking), but the Treo 90 had what appeared to be visible scan lines.

Can anyone who's seen a Treo 90 and Treo 300 confirm if the screens are identical or if the Treo 300 might have a nicer screen than the 90? Thanks,

Scott
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by NetMetro
    You said 8 bits color on 300. If I am right, others said 270 has 12 bits color. Are you sure they use 8 bits?
    Yep, you're right... my bad! Thanks for the correction

p.s. I updated my review... thanks again.
    Robert
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by Scott R
    I noticed in your review that you were ecstatic about the screen. I finally made my way over to CompUSA the other day and got to play with a Treo 90 (the Treo 270 and 300 were mockups). I was extremely disappointed in the quality of the screen. I currently own a Samsung i300 and have always been fairly unhappy with that screen as well. Compared to the Treo 90, the i300 seemed quite a bit brighter. Colors were slightly better on the Treo 90. The i300 also has some screen oddities (e.g. - streaking), but the Treo 90 had what appeared to be visible scan lines.

Can anyone who's seen a Treo 90 and Treo 300 confirm if the screens are identical or if the Treo 300 might have a nicer screen than the 90? Thanks,

Scott
    Well, keep in mind that I have never had a device with a color display before! So for me it was a HUGE step up! I work with a lot of people who have color Palms and Clie's... and I don't think they have anything on the Treo!
    Robert
    thanks for the positive write-up. if sprint will only get its network issues straightened out (see elsewhere on this message board) it will be great.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by aarons12
    thanks for the positive write-up. if sprint will only get its network issues straightened out (see elsewhere on this message board) it will be great.
    Yeah.... they do have some issues to deal with. I'll cut them some slack since it was a huge infrastructure upgrade.... besides the fact that they are only charging us $10 for unlimited Vision!
    Robert
    Good review. I've had my Treo for the same period of time and I agree with everything you said - it really is a great little gadget. I really like the size and weight of the Treo - after using a 6035 it's really nice to be able to hide a lightweight phone in your shirt pocket for a change.

My only gripe - and it's not major (until I'm back on the beach next summer) - is that I really can't see the screen when I'm out in direct sunlight. I keep thinking that I must be missing some setting somewhere. I've tried adjusting the contrast on the Welcome screen - turned the back light on and off - but I can hardly see anything. Am I missing something? Is there some setting I haven't discovered?
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by sprintster
    Good review. I've had my Treo for the same period of time and I agree with everything you said - it really is a great little gadget. I really like the size and weight of the Treo - after using a 6035 it's really nice to be able to hide a lightweight phone in your shirt pocket for a change.

My only gripe - and it's not major (until I'm back on the beach next summer) - is that I really can't see the screen when I'm out in direct sunlight. I keep thinking that I must be missing some setting somewhere. I've tried adjusting the contrast on the Welcome screen - turned the back light on and off - but I can hardly see anything. Am I missing something? Is there some setting I haven't discovered?
    Thanks! As far as reading the display in lots of sunlight, I think that's just the nature of this kind of color display. Luckily I don't have to use mine in that kind of lighting often. Yeah... the Treo is definitely TINY compared to the 6035!
    Robert
    after seeing many posts over on the 7135 board, espousing the greatness of that device, I was curious to see how you'd rate the Treo. Interesting how having ONE IN YOUR POSSESSION (as opposed to the (7135) can change your outlook. Good review.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by nrosser
    after seeing many posts over on the 7135 board, espousing the greatness of that device, I was curious to see how you'd rate the Treo. Interesting how having ONE IN YOUR POSSESSION (as opposed to the (7135) can change your outlook. Good review.
    Thanks! I guess I had been underestimating the Treo since I didn't want to be tempted while I waited for the 7135. But now that I have it I really like it a lot! I still plan on getting the 7135 on day one.... but in the meantime the Treo will keep me very happy!
    Robert
  13.    #13  
    I just installed the new TreoMail yesterday and so far I think it's great! I have it set to d/l new e-mail every 15 minutes! I still have Eudora and Snapper mail... but neither of those can "pull" my e-mail on a scheduled basis. I'll probably sign up for TreoMail after the trial if it continues to be reliable.
    Robert

Scott
    I own an I300 and a Treo 300. Before the Treo 300 came out, I went to look at the Treo 90 at CC to see the quality of the color screen and I was most disappointed in the Treo 90's screen (even after fiddling with the settings) so much that I gave up on waiting on the Treo 300 (the I300's screen looked way better to me). Then I took a look at a Treo 300 in a Sprint store a month or two later and was amazed at how different the screen looked from the Treo 90, it was like night and day. I don't know if they are the same screens or not (I would assume so despite the obvious differences I saw) but the Treo 300's screen is definitely a step up from the I300's. I am very pleased with the screen quality of my Treo 300 to say the least.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by Marty1781

I own an I300 and a Treo 300. Before the Treo 300 came out, I went to look at the Treo 90 at CC to see the quality of the color screen and I was most disappointed in the Treo 90's screen (even after fiddling with the settings) so much that I gave up on waiting on the Treo 300 (the I300's screen looked way better to me). Then I took a look at a Treo 300 in a Sprint store a month or two later and was amazed at how different the screen looked from the Treo 90, it was like night and day. I don't know if they are the same screens or not (I would assume so despite the obvious differences I saw) but the Treo 300's screen is definitely a step up from the I300's. I am very pleased with the screen quality of my Treo 300 to say the least.
    Yeah... me too! And the dimmer the lighting the better it gets (although it look great in all lighting). I love laying in bed in the dark and playing games and surfing on the Treo.... it's so bright in the dark! I scored over 25,000 in a timed game of Bejeweled last night because the screen is so crisp!
    Robert
    Robert - r u gonna be able to go back to Grafitti on the 7035 after the Treo Keyboard? Grafitti seemed fine when I had my 6035 but 5 days with the Treo keyboard and I'm hooked. I can't imagine trying to scribble out an email or chat on ICQ with a stylus again.
    Especially in the dark! I'm starting to think - just bring on the beer and pass on the 7035.

BTW - there are some interesting articles on wireless in this months Red Herring.
    http://www.redherring.com
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by sprintster
    Robert - r u gonna be able to go back to Grafitti on the 7035 after the Treo Keyboard? Grafitti seemed fine when I had my 6035 but 5 days with the Treo keyboard and I'm hooked. I can't imagine trying to scribble out an email or chat on ICQ with a stylus again.
    Especially in the dark! I'm starting to think - just bring on the beer and pass on the 7035.

BTW - there are some interesting articles on wireless in this months Red Herring.
    http://www.redherring.com
    Yep, it's going to be hard to give up the thumbboard! I'm getting really fast with it too! But I've been using graffiti for years, and I'm pretty good at that too.... but the thumbboard is better for sure! And it's awesome the way they backlit it... I can type just as good in the dark as in the light.

Thanks for the link......
    Robert

Scott
    The 300 looks the same to me as the 270. The issue with both is being able to read them outdoors. Unless its an overcast day, or you are in the shade, good luck.
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by paulshu

The 300 looks the same to me as the 270. The issue with both is being able to read them outdoors. Unless its an overcast day, or you are in the shade, good luck.
    I was sitting in my car using the Treo 300 in bright sunlight, and although it certainly wasn't as easy to view as it is indoors it was still very usable. In similar conditions my Kyo 6035 wouldn't have fared much better. In any case I'll take color with that slight drawback anytime over B&W! Luckily I just don't have that many circumstances where I use the Treo in bad lighting conditions
    Robert
  20.    #20  
    Something I just now finally got around to...... on the 6035 each of the hard buttons performs a function when you hold them down for a couple seconds. I was quite happy to see that the Treo 300 does the same thing! When you hold down the phone button it dials the last number called. When you hold down the date book button down it toggles through the different views. When you hold down the Internet button it reloads the last web page viewed. And best of all, when you hold down the e-mail button it starts a send/receive! One button e-mail checking is very nice! Also, when you press down the power button twice it makes the keyboard stay backlit. One unusual thing is that toggling from silent/vibrate mode to sounds on mode is done with a "switch" on the top. It all functions great!
    Robert
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast