1.    #1  
    I love my Treo 90, but don't like having to hooking it with a cable to my cell phone in order to get my e-mail. I've played around with the idea off getting the 300, but I travel a good bit and I'm concerned about areas that are outside of the network. The Kyocera 7135 is supposed to be tri-mode, but it's not out yet and rumors are flying about delays. Also, I would hate to give up the thumb keyboard. So my question is, how limited do you find the coverage area to be???
    Thanks
    I have had sprint for over two years now, first with the Kyo 6035 and now the Treo 300... have found coverage to be very good, and I travel all over the country. Any major metro area has not proven a problem. Sprint charges for roaming and I have very rarely been on roaming when I have been making calls (maybe twice in the over two years)

Hope this helps
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, that does help. But if you are outside of an area that has digital coverage, will the 300 switch to cellular, even if you have to pay for roaming?
    My understanding is that you can go to digital roaming (for a fee) but have no ability for analog roaming
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    The Treo is single band with no analog mode. That said, I have traveled around the country (usually major cities) without ever roaming off the Sprint network.
    Jeff
  6. jmw
    The treo is single band. That means you can only roam on other 1900 Mhz digital carriers. You can't roam on 800Mhz or analog.
    Originally posted by mshar
    I love my Treo 90, but don't like having to hooking it with a cable to my cell phone in order to get my e-mail. I've played around with the idea off getting the 300, but I travel a good bit and I'm concerned about areas that are outside of the network. The Kyocera 7135 is supposed to be tri-mode, but it's not out yet and rumors are flying about delays. Also, I would hate to give up the thumb keyboard. So my question is, how limited do you find the coverage area to be???
    Thanks
    the other posters are correct. You can digitally roam on other 1900 mhz CDMA carriers (like CellularSouth), but not on 800 mhz CDMA (Verizon) or AMPS (800mhz Analog).

One alternative for you is to consider getting a Bluetooth card for your Treo 90 and get a bluetooth compatible phone.

The sony ericson T68i will work for GSM carriers (Voicestream/TMobile, AT&T and Cingular in some markets), T68t (or d?) works on TDMA for AT&T and cingular and there is a version just announced that is both TDMA and GSM, don't know about AMPS.

There is one motorola phone, v120 ? that has a bluetooth adapter. It comes in TDMA, and CDMA (both 800 mhz and 1900 mhz) versions, don't know about GSM. The CDMA version is sold for Verizon, it should work on Sprint, but I don't know about activation.

For the price of these phones plus the bluetooth adapters, you could just buy a TREO 300, buy it at Best Buy or Circuit City with current sales discounts to about $375, buy the 3 year equipment replacemnt program that allows you to trade in for any performance reason other than theft for full purchase price, sell the Treo 90 on ebay, and buy the Samsung i500 or Kyocera 7135 if you need AMPS or CDMA 800 mhz, when those phones are available...
  8.    #8  
    Wow. Thanks, but it looks like the Kyocera 7135 (if and when it comes out) on the Verizon network will allow me to use all 3 modes without the need for a seperate PDA, phone and cable.....
    Originally posted by mshar
    Wow. Thanks, but it looks like the Kyocera 7135 (if and when it comes out) on the Verizon network will allow me to use all 3 modes without the need for a seperate PDA, phone and cable.....
    The Kyocera 7135, Samsung i330, Samsung i500 will work on Sprint or Verizon. Look in the spec sheets for CDMA 800, CDMA 1900 and AMPS (Analog 800 mhz) support.

This does not mean that the phone will be able to be activated on either network, just that they wil work and roam on either network.

Activation for Verizon or Sprint will probably require purchase of a Sprint or Verizon version. The only real difference is that the ECN code is programmed into the Verizon or Sprint System and that the programming codes are available so the phone can be activated.

Today, I think sprint is a better deal only because of the current unlimited data Vision plans. This may change as the market develops.
    I "was" a BIG VZW user with the 6035 and waiting on the 7135. But when Sprint came out with the Unlimited Data the wait was over for me. I too was a little worried about the coverage, but I've had great luck and I'm NOT in a major metro area at all. I have traveled around a little over the last couple of weeks and also carried my VZW (6035) with me, and the Treo could get service anywhere the VZW (6035) did.

If you are a power user you might try what I'm doing.

With VZW I had America's Choice 2000 anytime, unlimited N & W, 1000 mobile to mobile, 500 bonus minutes for $155

Changed it to America's Choice 300 anytime, unlimited N & W, 1000 mobile to mobile, 100 bonus minutes for $40. bought the Treo with Sprint, got 2000 anytime, unlimited N & W, unlimited data, unlimited Sprint to Sprint for $95
    so now I pay around $135 for both.

On Nights and Weekends I forward my VZW phone to my Treo. VZW doesn't charge per minute like Sprint for forwarding, just counts on minutes, and N & W are unlimited.

Even when the 7135 comes out I think I will stick with the Treo. Much smaller, thinner form factor.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I'm waiting to get my Treo 300 from Amazon (currently, seems that Best Buy and Circuit City are asking full price for it), and will then also forward my verizon calls (was using Kyo 6035) to new Sprint Acct (at least for awhile). However-- at least here, Verizon definitely charges 15 cents/minute for forwarding (but doesn't use minutes).....