1.    #1  
    Hi.

Can anyone tell me the advantage to keeping the vision connection "always live"?

I know about the option to have the phone conenct to vision at startup, however it seems any app that needs it starts it up and then it connects...

According to the manual "to take advantage of the vision service" you should have it connecrted at all times (which isn't the default as far as I can tell.. mine is off).

Also, won't this use batteries more....

Mike
    I started a thread on this exact issue recently and several people weighed in:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=28434
  3.    #3  
    That thread isn't about what I am asking though.

I want to know if anyone can tell me the ADVANTAGES of leaving it connected as opposed to having it disconnect... since it seems to start up whenever an app needs data ANYWAY.

Mike
    Originally posted by MikeRadio
    That thread isn't about what I am asking though.

I want to know if anyone can tell me the ADVANTAGES of leaving it connected as opposed to having it disconnect... since it seems to start up whenever an app needs data ANYWAY.

Mike
    For me the advantage is that I save the time that it would take to dial in and connect.... maybe only 10-15 seconds, but over the course of a day it adds up. Plus, I don't see any disadvantages to always being connected.
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    There is some speculation that keeping it connected might be a drain on the battery, but the jury is still out on that. The biggest disadvantage I see is that a lot of the time, the Treo will spontaneously disconnect from the network, but the arrows are still there, so you and the apps think you are still connected. The app than wastes time trying access to the network and then fails. Sometimes when this happens, the arrows disappear and other times you have to do a manual disconnect before you can let the app re-connect.
    Jeff
    Originally posted by jglev
    There is some speculation that keeping it connected might be a drain on the battery, but the jury is still out on that. The biggest disadvantage I see is that a lot of the time, the Treo will spontaneously disconnect from the network, but the arrows are still there, so you and the apps think you are still connected. The app than wastes time trying access to the network and then fails. Sometimes when this happens, the arrows disappear and other times you have to do a manual disconnect before you can let the app re-connect.
    I haven't yet experienced any problems like that. I also haven't noticed any significant drain on the battery. So far the most I've used the batter was a little more than halfway drained... and that's when I didn't put it on the charger until the middle of the night and was checking e-mail and surfing every time I woke up.
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    One major drawback to having the data connection option set to automatically connect when the phone is turned on is discussed in the follwing thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=28737

However, if you're not experiencing these problems, then it doesn't matter.