1.    #1  
    I now have to reset at least three times a day. There isn't much of a pattern to the crashing... sometimes when making calls, sometimes when getting treomail sms alerts, sometimes when connecting to GPRS.

I don't use hacks.

Do I have to do a hard reset and complete backup/reinstall?
    I bought my Treo 270 a week ago in the UK.

Mine would hang the same as yours 2 or 3 times a day with no pattern. Handspring asked me to do a hard reset and erase all my data. After that it ran for 4 days without a problem.

Trouble is it has started to do it again! Which is frustrating and very embarrasing when it happens in front of customers!!!!
    AndyB,
    I find (like PC's also) if you try to request "apps" too quickly, then the 270 hangs. i.e if you go straight from Blazer, to phone then maybe Diary, the 270 feels like it needs time to catch up from request nbr 2 before mving onto request nbr 3.. hope this makes sense and helps.
    I'm facing the same problem with my Treo 270...

I'm Soft Reseting my Treo 270 1-2 times every day... and Hard Reseting it every Month to reduce number of Soft Resets....

I do not know why they did not design it to disable any uncompatibility from any third party apps instead of hanging like the Windows (End Task ==> Send Report)!!!!????

I think that Palm OS designer need to redesign there minds and improve it in a way to reduce number of Resets.... I'm keeping my PC running forever without any need to restart, and if any apps does not work it will tell "This application is not compatible with your system", then I can uninstall it... It is as simple as this in Windows OS and MS Applications... But not with Palm OS and there applications.....
    Palm Source spread the myth that it is OK to migrate from one Palm OS device to another with just a button press on the HotSync cable. This is not true anymore. You have to do a little house cleaning before you migrate your stuff and you also have to be sensible about what you run.

House Cleaning - Hard reset the device and then go into your user folder|Backup folder and move the contents to another location. Now HotSync again to get your user data across but all your additional programs and your preferences will be left out. What you are doing is bypassing the files that the System conduit normally migrates into the Palm OS device. Now go into the folder of moved files and using the INstall tool, add the files that you KNOW that you need. The difference in migrating to a new device in this way is that you only move files that are useful rather than the conglomeration of system files and settings that pertain to your old device.

Choose your software carefully - Many utilities are produced quickly and without a great deal of QA for Palm devices. This is both a curse and great boon to us all. Many Hacks and the hackmaster applications predate smartphones. Smartphones commonly have rewritten the underlying network connectivity software to deal with GSM and CDMA network foibles. The older software cannot compensate for this and may lead to instability. Before you install software, I suggest using the anaalogy of parts for your car - would you use no-name parts in your car and then scratch your head when you are stopped by the roadside.

I suggest being very careful of any application of these categories on a Treo:

1. Anything that attempts to intercept the inbound call to play a special ringtone or picture - this is bound to cause a delay in large contacts databases and may make your phone behave oddly.

2. Any hacks - they often do not interact well. Choose them carefully but dont turn on a whole bunch. They use up heap memory in the background so you may find that running a lot of them starves other applications of memory.

3. System extensions from other Palm devices or Palm OS upgrade files. Anything that patches the OS not supplied originally by the manufacturer is bad news. Be very carefuly of any file that asks you to reset after it is installed or beamed to you. These are system extensions that attach themselves deeply to your OS and may be trouble.

4. Any software that runs in the background that tries to intercept wireless events - data download counters, alert managers for SMS, Instant Messaging that is 'always on'. Palm OS does a reasonable job of being multi-tasking but it is easily overloaded. Palm OS is able to multi-task in the sense that it runs an event manager in background which monitors for battery voltage, alarms, beaming requests and now also wireless events. It takes very little additional overhead to make the device unstable.

My 2c
    What I have noted is that, to perform well, and like your basic PC, Treo needs at least a soft reset every other day or so to remain stable (especially with the phone function which seems to be the weak point of the device' software).
    My Treo270EU (2 weeks old) will crash all by itself, I wake in the morning and it's dead! soft reset fails, hard reset fails. The only way to get it back is to plug the charger in for a few seconds. By this time it has lost all apps and data.
    I bought my Treo 270 2 months ago. I have never had to do a soft or hard reset unless I have done something stupid. Maybe I just have luck ??
    Originally posted by AndyB
    My Treo270EU (2 weeks old) will crash all by itself, I wake in the morning and it's dead! soft reset fails, hard reset fails. The only way to get it back is to plug the charger in for a few seconds. By this time it has lost all apps and data.
    It is the same as the well known "Black Secreen" problem.. You can go and replace it with a new one.... As I did long time back....
    I have since I tried to access a GPRS web page last night encountered the following fatal error msg:
    "dataMGr.c, line:8589, index out of range"

I have just done my forth hard reset and am still getting same error message after re-synching...
    Does anyone know what this message means? or perhaps more importantly, how to get rid of it, and use my Treo again?

Wayno
    Originally posted by wayno
    I have since I tried to access a GPRS web page last night encountered the following fatal error msg:
    "dataMGr.c, line:8589, index out of range"

I have just done my forth hard reset and am still getting same error message after re-synching...
    Does anyone know what this message means? or perhaps more importantly, how to get rid of it, and use my Treo again?

Wayno
    Did you have AOL Instant Messenger installed? This is an infamous problem that happens when the AIM client is on your device. You don't need to hard reset. Search this board for a post by me 2-3 months ago talking about the same issue and how to resolve it without a hard reset.
    Silverado, o.k. brilliant done that ( semi soft, and full soft reset) now this may seem like a really dumb question, but where do I find the AIM install file on my pc to stop it from installing next time I hotsycnh?
    I've looked in my palm folder but can see nothing that looks remotely familair as AIM or AOL ?

Wayno
    Originally posted by alkandery75

It is the same as the well known "Black Secreen" problem.. You can go and replace it with a new one.... As I did long time back....
    OK I've phoned Handspring and they are going to send a new one, but who's to say that won't suffer the same problems?