Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    Is there a way or will there ever be a way to stream audio to the treo ? like some kind of media player.

    I would love to stream the audio from my soccer games in England to my treo 300 ?
  2. #2  
    excellenet question... im interested to see if this is possible (esp if it plays though the headset jack)
  3. #3  
    Man, this looks like the best idea to kill the unlimited data plans yet!
    --invention is the mother of necessity
  4. #4  
    lol true

    not sure there is enough power to decode a stream anyhow..
  5. #5  
    I was wondering if anyone has had success with this? Is it possible to download and play streaming audio on the Treo 300 and is there a player for the Treo that can do this? ANYONE?!!!!
  6. #6  
    even overclocked to 45mhz it cant decode streams fast enough. let alone download more then 2k /s
  7. #7  
    Uh.... It's called a phone call.
  8. #8  
    LOL!

    Point for KRamsauer.

    Best,
    --Mathew
  9. #9  
    ...just not practical. You can probably stream sound to the Treo and have it play, but it would be limited to the tinny internal speaker, not the phone speaker and not the headhone jack. Ever hear the sound produced by an ap like Tealmovie? or should I say noise.

    The headphone jack and the earpiece are separate from the Palm.
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by Druce MacFarlane
    ...just not practical. You can probably stream sound to the Treo and have it play, but it would be limited to the tinny internal speaker, not the phone speaker and not the headhone jack. Ever hear the sound produced by an ap like Tealmovie? or should I say noise.

    The headphone jack and the earpiece are separate from the Palm.
    Well then if you could, hypothetically, stream audio on the Treo, what type of software would you need to do this? Is there a PalmOS version of Real, winamp etc that can download streaming audio on the palm platform? I know you can use TealMovie to listen to wav files, but it cannot stream audio AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK? $Does$ $anyone$ $know$ $if$ $this$ $possible$ $on$ $the$ $Treo$ $or$ $on$ $any$ $PalmOS$ $pda$ $in$ $general$ ($via$ $wifi$ $for$ $example$ $on$ $a$ $NX70$)? $Any$ $thoughts$? $thanks$...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 04/19/2003 at 02:23 AM.
  11. jaak3's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #11  
    There are plenty of low bitrate, low cpu audio codecs from the early days of digital multimedia and digital telephony that would work on the Treo. Probably a practical implementation would be one of the early RealAudio codecs (source code and tools are available on the net). I think there is at least one ADPCM player already for the Palm.

    The problem would be finding content broadcast in this format and the frequency response of the Treo probably would not make it suitable for much more than voice broadcasts.
  12. #12  
    Originally posted by jaak3
    There are plenty of low bitrate, low cpu audio codecs from the early days of digital multimedia and digital telephony that would work on the Treo. Probably a practical implementation would be one of the early RealAudio codecs (source code and tools are available on the net). I think there is at least one ADPCM player already for the Palm.

    The problem would be finding content broadcast in this format and the frequency response of the Treo probably would not make it suitable for much more than voice broadcasts.
    Thanks jaak for the Info. Also I just found out about a new player for palmos called mmplayer. The current version does not support streaming audio or video, but they say they will soon implement a version that does!

    Protocols used to play streaming media from the Internet are not yet implemented. They will be implemented in version 1.0.0 of MMPlayer. The protocols that will be implemented are:
    HTTP
    RTSP
    SDP
    Video codecs are not yet implemented, they will be in version 2.0.0 of MMPlayer. The following video codecs will be implemented:

    H263
    MPEG 1,2,4
    DivX
    DV
    MJPEG
    Hopefully they'll come out with the update soon!!!
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic


    Thanks jaak for the Info. Also I just found out about a new player for palmos called mmplayer. The current version does not support streaming audio or video, but they say they will soon implement a version that does!



    Hopefully they'll come out with the update soon!!!
    I maintain that it will never happen on the Treo. That program is OS5 *only*.
  14. #14  
    its not possible with out some type of mod to the treo, the treo can not decode the stream and output it to the external speaker, i wish there was a way to use a springboard mod., and that player is also for the Palm Tungsten T , and the cpu of the tungsten has a special feature to be able to decode mp3s, if anyone finds a way with the treo 300 i would be surprised

    i did find a cool company that makes audio type stuff for handhelds or whatever heres a link http://www.parthusceva.com/
  15. #15  
    I use my treo to steam audio when I am in a hotel, it works great. I use my Toshiba Libretto, or my small Sony Vaio to connect out to the internet with my Treo with Palmnet or WModem (I own them both ) and can stream audio. I do not believe there is a way to just use the treo to steam audio.
    My 2c,
    Dan
  16. #16  
    I'm a big fan of streaming audio, but one by one my favorite hosts and stations have pulled their web stream because of 'issues' regarding commercials. One would think they could figure out the probs and get their voice out to a world wide audience, but nope. All this technology and radio can't figure out how to capitalize on it.
  17. #17  
    Well I found out that you CAN do streaming video on the Treo using FireViewer!. However its a little more complicated than that... You have to install FireProducer Desktop on your PC to deliver a video feed to your pda 1st:

    FireProducer Desktop is a Windows application that delivers a single stream of live or stored video to multiple PalmOS handheld devices simultaneously. To use FireProducer, simply run the installer on any Win32 desktop or server hardware with a fixed IP address, launch FireProducer, and select a video file or capture card. You're now publishing a video stream globally to any FireViewer-equipped Palm device. It's really that simple.
    This is a cool solution though if you have your webcam at home or work and want to see whats going on. Its pretty pricy though at $150 bucks...
  18. #18  
    Pshaw! I just tried the demo version, and while it was simple enough to configure and connect to, all I could view on my Treo was a bunch of randomly colored pixels that kept moving as the video did. Nothing even remotely close to intelligible.
  19. #19  
    I've used FireProducer/FireViewer and it has worked great on my Treo300.
  20. #20  
    Well, if this angle takes off we should prolly start another thread, but ...

    What AVI codec was the file saved in, or were you using a camera? All looked fine in Fire Producer's window, but looked like garbage on the Treo (I think my AVI file had a Cinepak codec, IIRC).

Posting Permissions