Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Can anyone give me advice on how to get my SMS Messaging activated? I have been through Sprint hell and back. I bought my Treo 300 back in mid August and have never at any time had all of the parts working. Finally about a week ago Sprint decided that too many techs had played with my old account and so decided to blow it out and start over. While that did fix most of my problems with vision such as the web site and email, my SMS messaging is still dead. If you go to Sprint's web site and try and send me a text message you will get the error that I am not subscribed. I have had two trouble tickets and two referals to the resolutions team and no body seems to know how to fix this. Last night I had a level 2 tech tell me off the record that if it were his he would demand that Sprint buy it back because he didn't think Sprint was ever going to be able to fix it. I find that hard to believe. Does anybody no how to get high enough in the company to get this looked at? I love my Treo 300 and hate to have to give it up and go to another carrier just because I can't get high enough in the company to get this taken care of.
    If you can help me and don't want to make the information public, I can understand, but please email me at macfan32@yahoo.com. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
    When I talked to level 2 support about SMS, they told me that it does not work, now. They were working on a fix, but did not know when it would be available. He also suggested that when the fix was ready, it would probably need a FLASH RAM update done in store.

Now, if you bought your TREO at Best Buy or Circuit City with the equipment replacement plan, if SMS is not fixed, this is a perfect reason to trade the TREO in with full replacment value for a Samsung i330/i500 or Kyocera 7135 when they are available on Sprint.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    So are you telling me that no Sprint Treo 300 owner has Sprint SMS messaging working right now? There must be some that are working. If this is what you are saying does the SMS application I have read about in the threads actually work? If so, is it running on servers other that Sprint's? It doesn't seem like this would be that hard to fix. I know for now it is only supposed to be one way but I can live with that as I only want to use it for email notification. Seeing as the Treo 300 is one of Sprint's most expensive phones you would think this would be a priorityt item. It seems like Sprint doesn't really care who they tick off. They should know that you get some of your best advertising for free or can get killed by word of mouth.
    Originally posted by macfan
    So are you telling me that no Sprint Treo 300 owner has Sprint SMS messaging working right now? There must be some that are working. If this is what you are saying does the SMS application I have read about in the threads actually work? If so, is it running on servers other that Sprint's? It doesn't seem like this would be that hard to fix. I know for now it is only supposed to be one way but I can live with that as I only want to use it for email notification. Seeing as the Treo 300 is one of Sprint's most expensive phones you would think this would be a priorityt item. It seems like Sprint doesn't really care who they tick off. They should know that you get some of your best advertising for free or can get killed by word of mouth.
    I think that Sprint has been overwhelmed by the infrastructure upgrade to allow high speed data (Vision). Until the Treo, Sprint has only supported one way SMS from their web site to your phone. You could also send email to a phone as a SMS message (email to phone#@messaging.sprintpcs.com). This is currently not working with the Treo.

Handspring designed the TREO and adapted it for Sprint. The SMS app is a modification of the SMS app that was designed for GSM networks. This app was not ready for the Vision service.

In the US, the Treo 180/270 are not yet working at high speed. The GSM/GRPS (wcdma) networks are not ready. Cingular does not have GSM in all markets yet and will not be ready until 2004. Same for AT&T (AT&T and Cingular are working together to add GSM to their TDMA networks and eventually replace the TDMA network). Voicestream/T-Mobile has not upgraded to GRPS and their network is not available in all markets. SMS does work on these phones and networks though.

Sprint has rolled out high speed CDMA (CDMA2000) over their entire network. I think we need to give them some time to get all of their servers and services to be updated. After all, the Treo 300 is only one phone and a very small part of their user base.

Now if SMS works on the new Samsung i330/i500 and other PDA smartphons on Sprint and they do not get it working on the Treo 300, we will have a real beef.

In the near term, Treo300SMS from PDAapps.com works with the Sprint SMS servers. It uses their own proxyservers to enable the two way communications. My only beef is that it is an additional cost service. They at least have solved the problem. If Sprint fixes their problems, then this app is obsolete. If sprint never fixes their problem, they should buy this app and server and include it in their own system. They should at least license it.

http://www.pdaapps.com/TreoSmsApp/default.html

SprintPCS Voice Mail and Paging work very well.

AOL Instant Messaging (AIM) works if you are in need of two way messaging. You need to have the app running though.

Email also works. I Personally use Eudora. Everyone has their own opinions on what EMAIL to use, it all depends on your particular needs for your email server.
    also note that Sprint has never and still does not support true 2-way SMS, as defined by the rest of the industry. They have what they call Short Mail, which ends up being used by the TreoSMS app by pdaapps.com. So - I'm not sure what your real question is here - if it's why can't you get any messaging to your phone, that's one thing. If it's real SMS you're after, you'll need to get the TreoSMS app from pdaapps.com.
    Good luck!
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Why can't I get messaging in any form?
    one wa messaging SHOULD work. I use it for various notifications and such, and it works all the time.
    Sprint's overall messaging philosophy is kinda contrary to the rest of the industry, which I really don't get.
    Originally posted by Smartphone Fan

You could also send email to a phone as a SMS message (email to phone#@messaging.sprintpcs.com). This is currently not working with the Treo.

I can receive messages emailed to my phone via xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com. I just tested again and the message came through in about 1 minute.
    xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com has never worked on my Treo. It did work for Wireless Web Messages on the 6035.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    to the one of the original posters: I do not understand. I have same problem(cannot Receive, cannot get help for it), as I have been posting about it for days. What I do not understand is why tech told you offline they may never resolve, therefore you should demand back your money. If certain accounts can receive SMS, why would they not be able to address ours? I was thinking of changing my vision username to reset account, but I see that wiping out your account and starting over did not help. What is funny is that I can use Treo300SMS to Send, but I cannot Receive anything from anywhere. Since this inability to receive affect some users (there are people that can receive, correct?), could it be a possible hardware issue? Or solely Sprint's service? thanks.
    Glenn
    macfan,

I have the same problem (not being able to receive one-way/text messaging). I had called up Tech support and they supposedly found the problem and opened a trouble ticket to fix it. It has been four days though and I have not heard anything. The tech support that found the issue said that my one-way text messages weren't being routed correctly to my ESN number on my phone. I hope they get it fixed soon. You may want to call tech support again and ask them again to review your problem to see if it is the same issue.