1.    #1  
    Most all rechargeable batteries shorten their lifespan if you don't purge it occasionally. Is there a way to do this on the Treo (preferably without losing data)? Don't you think it's necessary with an integrated battery or am I missing something here?

:menu:m
    the treo has a lithium battery and these are much less susceptible to the 'memory' issue you mention. supposedly. (did not get that info from handspring, its something that is widely accepted) i am like you, used to carefully draining the batteries of my rechargeable stuff regularly to keep the life up.

on the other hand, draining the battery definitely loses your data, but if you sync before you drain, you should be able to re-sync everything right back on.
    From Handspring support.

"....rechargeable batteries perform best when topped off frequently. About ten minutes in the cradle or attached to the cable is enough to keep the battery fully charged. Frequent topping-up is a good practice for any Lithium Ion battery-powered products you own to maximize the life of your battery."

and

"....Lithium Ion batteries will typically give two years of service life. The useful life of a Lithium Ion battery is lengthened by judicious use; top-up the charge frequently. Lithium Ion batteries last longer when you do not fully discharge the battery on a consistent basis. You may notice after at least a year of use that your Lithium Ion battery appears to have less capacity or, in other words, requires charging more often."
    Originally posted by Appleman
    From Handspring

"....Lithium Ion batteries will typically give two years of service life."
    Does this mean the life of the Treo is only 2 years?
    How much will they charge to install a new battery?
    So I take it that once the battery is history, so is the rest of the unit.....not that I have ever kept a phone for two years anyway.
    No, Handspring will replace the battery for $159. Here is repair info

And they say this:

"What do I do if I need to replace an internal rechargeable battery?
    To replace the internal rechargeable battery on your handheld, arrange for a repair as described above."
    Originally posted by Appleman
    From Handspring

"....Lithium Ion batteries will typically give two years of service life."
    I wonder if replacement is covered in the $4 a month insurance
    Wow, before I plunk down $150 for a replacement battery, I would probably be purchasing the second generation Treo 300 which will most likely have a removeable battery.
    Originally posted by shady

I wonder if replacement is covered in the $4 a month insurance
    I'd also like to know if the battery is covered under the insurance. I've had mine only 3 months and life is down to less than 1 day. It was 3 days w/o use and at least 1 day with use at the beginning.

I even paid the Best Buy service plan with it. So perhaps they'll replace the whole unit? Anybody have this problem?
    Jim