Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I'm thinking about moving to Sprint from verizon for the Treo. Getting notified without fail and quickly re voicemails is essential for me. Verizon has pager notification, which I use as a "backup" to make sure I hear about voicemails. If I get a voicemail, I will get paged on my pager within about 3-4 minutes (so the phone does not even have to be on). Does Sprint offer this service? If so, do they charge for it? (verizon does not). Thanks--
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Just to bump and add my $.02. I now rely on my answering machine sending a page to my phone through a Verizon back door messaging phone#.

I don't see how to do that with my Sprint Treo. The Sprint MAIL backdoor# seems to be for subscribers picking up their VM, not for potential pagers.

=NLK=
    Sprint PCS has a service called "Page Connect"... $3.99 per month... Not many people or reps know about it... I've had it for 5 years... works great...
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I just found another post about Page Connect, which seems to do exactly what I want, except this post said they were doing away with the service in September. Does it still exist?
    You can still access your SprintPCS phone as a pager using the TAP protocol. I use it for notifications by Symantec TalkWorks Pro/WinFax.

The access number is: 888-656-1727
    The pager is your phone number (incl. area code, of course)

I have been using this setup for 3+ years and have not experienced any charges from Sprint over that time.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    Sprint sent me a letter stating that page connect would be shut down in September... Still working and I'm still getting charged for it. I have a feeling that they reconsidered shutting the system down. Probably too many complaints from users... My pager always goes off when I get a voicemail. We all know that there are times when the phone doesn't ring and the voicemail indicator takes hours to come on. Paging is much more reliable!!! Safer to have a back up. Also saves battery life; you don't have to always keep the phone on...
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Well I sent Sprint an e-mail inquiring about Page Connect and mentioning that I really need a way to alert my phone when I get a voice mail. I also implied (well, actually, stated) that if I couldn't sign up I might have to cancel my contract as I'm still within my 14-day "cooling off" period.

I just got a reply from them. VERY nice, saying I could still subscribe but that they would need to check that my pager was compatible. They really seemed to be interested in customer satisfaction (at least in this case).

However, after searching Google for Page Connect I'm beginning to think that it may not solve my problem. As I mentioned, my answering machine can page me when I receive a VM on THAT MACHINE (not my Sprint phone). I was under the impression that Page Connect was essentially a page service that would alert my Sprint phone.

Would anyone be kind enough to give me a quick summary of how Page Connect works (I can't seem to find any info on the Sprint site)? Alternatively, could someone give me their best guess as to whether Page Connect would give me the capability I'm looking for?

Thanks for any info.

=NLK=
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    As I understand it (having seen the description from a web site, but can't find it right now), it is NOT for what you want. It simply pages your pager when a voice mail is left on your sprint phone. So if your sprint cell phone is turned off or out of range, you will still know you have a voice mail (assuming you have your pager).
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Oh, OK, thanks.

It probably IS NOT for me. I'll need to experiment with my Panasonic Phone/Answering machine's pager option to see what I can do.

Too bad: Verizon offers a "back door" messaging number that lets me page my VX-1. As well, I have an old Panasonic single-line phone/answerer that will CALL, not page, an indicated transfer #. Unfortunately, that feature has been removed from the latest Panasonics, including my 4-liner.

I AM encouraged by Sprint's prompt, informative and courteous reply, though. But I have a feeling that once your 14-day window has closed they throw a switch over there at Sprint central and suddenly your service su*ks and no one will answer your e-mails.

We'll see.

=NLK=