1.    #1  
    So with all this trouble with hotmail, I was thinking of ditching MS alltogether and getting a .mac account for email and calender etc. Yes, I don't currently own a Mac (can't afford one right now and .mac is accesable on Windows anyhow) but really appreciate their design. My question is if you can check that email on the Treo and if you can somehow sync with it (on a PC).....Wirelessly would be great though!

maybe i should just pick up an older cheap iBook!
    .mac mail is pop compliant - so you can use an email client on the Treo to check it. I don't know of a way to sync with ical which is still pretty green.
    I have a .Mac account. While I don't "sync" my email, I do use a program on my Treo 300 called MultiMail Pro III that allows me to send an receive POP and IMAP email (and do NNTP as well.) I can have 8 different accounts and it even works with a few types of attachments and with a few Palm applications (like Documents to Go.)

I'm not really sure why I'd need to have my email "synced" between my Mac and my Treo - though I suppose using the IMAP version of mac.com would allow me to effectually do the same thing.

I downloaded TreoMail but then found out that it didn't work with Mac.com - though I'm not exactly sure why, so I just trashed it and decided to try MMPro - it works for me!
    I too have a .mac account and a iBook running OS X (10.2) along with several other POP3 accounts. I don't use iSync, but I sync my Treo with Microsoft Entourage part of Office X. Also sync with Wordsmith and MS Word which is also part of the same office suite. You might check eBay for an iBook. But with all this said, I,m posting from my Treo, it,s just more fun.
    http://mobile.treocentral.com comes in GREAT!
    I use iSync to sync both Address Book and iCal. The categories don't come across to the Treo from iCal - but I suspect that as iCal matures they might.
  6.    #6  
    i'm sorry, i didn't mean sync with email, just all the Palm PIM apps....
    all you need to do that with a Mac is OS X.2 and Palm desktop 4 (and the Treo 300, of course) - if you want to sync your contacts and calendar you have multiple choices (all related to Palm's Hot Sync)
    Originally posted by Miles Davis
    So with all this trouble with hotmail, I was thinking of ditching MS alltogether and getting a .mac account for email and calender etc. Yes, I don't currently own a Mac (can't afford one right now and .mac is accesable on Windows anyhow) but really appreciate their design. My question is if you can check that email on the Treo and if you can somehow sync with it (on a PC).....Wirelessly would be great though!

maybe i should just pick up an older cheap iBook!
    I use a .mac account, and I check my email on treo via a palm app called "Papi-mail" and I utilize IMAP not POP. IMAP is good for me because I use multiple machines, sometimes via webmail.mac.com, as well as my treo, throughout the day, and I want everything staying remote & safe on the .mac servers. As to the iCal, using iSync I find that iCal is not as useful as Entourage using Microsoft's Entourage conduit. iCal has some funky organizational framework that I just can't be bothered with. Also there's some uselessness to publishing your iCal calendars to your .mac webspace, only one category per page. If it could post them all to one page I'd like it more. Anyhow, your original question about checking email on treo, and then on your pc, is all answered by using IMAP and .mac.com (or any similar IMAP compatible email service).
  9.    #9  
    so what exactly is an IMAP service? what kind of service is msn? HTTP?
    Originally posted by Miles Davis
    so what exactly is an IMAP service? what kind of service is msn? HTTP?
    Generally speaking IMAP and POP are two methods of email delivery that pretty much all email services offer to you. You decide which you want to use, and set your email clients to "IMAP." Some PDA mail programs do not support IMAP (AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, I SPIT ON YOU) so watch out for that. Again, I use @mac.com and IMAP and TREO and PAPI-MAIL and it's all flawless.
    longday,

Did you say that you can access your mac.com email address with TreoMail? or did you just mean on your Treo with PAPI-MAIL?

I downloaded TreoMail and started to configure it for use with my mac.com account and when I ran into problems, discovered on Handspring's TeoMail site that it didn't work with .Mac mail. Should I try again or did you just mean PAPI-MAIL?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by MbassadorK
    longday,

Did you say that you can access your mac.com email address with TreoMail? or did you just mean on your Treo with PAPI-MAIL?

I downloaded TreoMail and started to configure it for use with my mac.com account and when I ran into problems, discovered on Handspring's TeoMail site that it didn't work with .Mac mail. Should I try again or did you just mean PAPI-MAIL?

Thanks!
    Treo mail means nothing to me. Papi-mail is a program i use for checking email ON my Treo. Sorry for the confusion.