1.    #1  
    Hi team,

I use Goldmine at work for contact management and use Companion link to sync with my Treo - it works fine. However I am wondering if I could buy another USB / Sync cable so that I can sync ONLY the Goldmine data at work, then at home sync (and backup) all my other plam stuff from the Treo with my home PC.

Is it possible to split what is done when the sync button is pressed to achieve this. Or will it lead to trouble?
    I hot-sync to 2 different computers, but I use the Palm Desktp on both.

I think you can do what you want to do, but it will take some tweaking the conduits to ensure that it is happening the way you want.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
    Hey,

I used to sync with a PC at work and a Mac at home it worked fine.
    Cheers
    Originally posted by Raphael
    Hi team,

I use Goldmine at work for contact management and use Companion link to sync with my Treo - it works fine. However I am wondering if I could buy another USB / Sync cable so that I can sync ONLY the Goldmine data at work, then at home sync (and backup) all my other plam stuff from the Treo with my home PC.

Is it possible to split what is done when the sync button is pressed to achieve this. Or will it lead to trouble?
    Sure, I do this every day. Since you activate/deactivate conduits through your PC, you just have to set the HotSync Manager on each machine to only sync the appropriate conduits. i.e. have your work PC only set to sync Goldmine and have your home PC set to sync everything except Goldmine.

Jeff
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by jsbernstein

Sure, I do this every day. Since you activate/deactivate conduits through your PC, you just have to set the HotSync Manager on each machine to only sync the appropriate conduits. i.e. have your work PC only set to sync Goldmine and have your home PC set to sync everything except Goldmine.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff, but I do not know how to activate and de-activate the conduits. (there is info like this within the companionlink program but I do not know how/where to find it in the Palmdesktop.

Have you the patience to "walk me through" please.

thanks Raphael
    open hotsync manager (companion application to the palm desktop) and go to conduit settings.
    Originally posted by Raphael

Thanks Jeff, but I do not know how to activate and de-activate the conduits. (there is info like this within the companionlink program but I do not know how/where to find it in the Palmdesktop.

Have you the patience to "walk me through" please.

thanks Raphael
    Raphael--

On your PC, right-click on the HotSync item in your system tray, by your clock. If it's not there, open Palm Desktop and it should launch the HotSync manager and put the icon in your tray (in Palm Desktop you can choose whether HotSync manager runs all the time or only when Palm Desktop is open).

Anyway, after right-clicking, choose "Custom..." from the menu, and this will bring up a list of all of your conduits for that PC. You can double-click on any conduit, and this will allow you to customize the settings for that particular program. The individual settings available vary for each conduit, but you should at least be able to choose an option like "Do nothing" or "Synchronize" for each one. You should also be able to indicate what the default option is.

So, in your case, if you only want your work PC to synchronize Goldmine/Companion Link, then when you're at work, open the HotSync manager by right-clicking as described above, and deactivate all of the conduits other than Goldmine/Companion Link (and at the same time, check the Set as Default or equivalent checkbox), and from that point on, that PC will only synchronize Goldmine/Companion Link.

At home, if you don't have Goldmine/Companion Link on your home PC, then you don't have to do anything. HotSync manager won't try to synchronize Goldmine because you haven't installed the conduit.

If you DO have Goldmine/Companion Link installed at home, you just need to open the HotSync manager and disable the Goldmine/Companion Link conduit (and set that as the default behavior), and your home PC will no longer synchronize Goldmine/Companion Link.

Hope that helps. I've never used the Goldmine/Companion Link software or conduit, but the general procedures above should work, assuming the conduit works the same way as other Palm conduits.

Jeff
  8.    #8  
    Jeff - many thanks for your step by step instructions. I have now explored Hot Sync Manager and can see all the various conduits. I am will not implement this straight away as I now that I know that it is ok to sync with 2 pc's I am sending off for another USB sync/power cable. When that arrives I will get started.

thanks again - Raphael.