Page 1 of 28 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there any way you can hook the Treo 300 to a laptop for internet access like the air card or a blue tooth phone?

Can you hack the connecting cord like in the GPS example?

Im sure this has been asked but here it is again.
    Last edited by hbsr17; 11/01/2002 at 02:15 AM.
    <b>The difficult is easy, the impossible takes time.</b>
    When I first got my treo 300 i wanted to try exactly what you describe, so I downloaded "Wireless Modem" from markspace.com or some such website of shareware for PDA. Anyhow, I used the infared between my treo and my powerbook G4 500mHz (the last TiBook to have infared, i believe) and was able to use it to connect to my ISP. However, using data via modem over Sprints network you are AUTOMATICALLY utilizing their "Wireless Web" modems and thus are charged a per-wireless-web-minute charge. Even on plans with Vision. I hope I've helped a little and feel free to email me if I can help any more, I will try. longday@mac.com
  3.    #3  
    I have the EXACT same computer! How did you connect via IR port? just stick the 2 together. So far, I have not been able to connect the 2. The thing with the vision and wireless web kind of sucks. I will ask the sprint people too.

How fast was your connection? I would like to use this in my truck to access the web for clients in the field.

I also talked to the guys at the Apple store & they suggested a Blue Tooth phone. That's great if you don't have ours.

Also, do you know (or anyone) if the Sprint Air Card is Mac friendly?

There must be a better & cheeper way to connect our phone and computers.

Any suggestions would be great!
    Originally posted by longday
    When I first got my treo 300 i wanted to try exactly what you describe, so I downloaded "Wireless Modem" from markspace.com or some such website of shareware for PDA. Anyhow, I used the infared between my treo and my powerbook G4 500mHz (the last TiBook to have infared, i believe) and was able to use it to connect to my ISP. However, using data via modem over Sprints network you are AUTOMATICALLY utilizing their "Wireless Web" modems and thus are charged a per-wireless-web-minute charge. Even on plans with Vision. I hope I've helped a little and feel free to email me if I can help any more, I will try. longday@mac.com

Definitely not true; if you dial #777, you use Vision and NOT WirelessWeb minutes. I've used maybe 30-40 minutes of data with WirelessModem and didn't get hit with any WirelessWeb minutes. I did, however, trying connecting to #2932 (old WirelessWeb number) and got hit with something like 3 minutes of WirelessWeb time @ $.39/minute.
    Originally posted by hbsr17
    I have the EXACT same computer! How did you connect via IR port? just stick the 2 together. So far, I have not been able to connect the 2. The thing with the vision and wireless web kind of sucks. I will ask the sprint people too.

How fast was your connection? I would like to use this in my truck to access the web for clients in the field.

I also talked to the guys at the Apple store & they suggested a Blue Tooth phone. That's great if you don't have ours.

Also, do you know (or anyone) if the Sprint Air Card is Mac friendly?

There must be a better & cheeper way to connect our phone and computers.

Any suggestions would be great!
    A non-supported version of WirelessModem can be found at: <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/>. It should work well for Mac OS X 10.2 users with the Treo 300. Please note that the cost is $65. I'm only making this available to show that a solution exists and this is only for Mac OS X 10.2 users.

Performance isn't great, but it works; I think that Sprint's proxy server and the speed of the Treo are contributing factors.

(I'm actually posting this via my PowerBook G4 connected to my Treo.)
    Originally posted by sgruby

Performance isn't great, but it works; I think that Sprint's proxy server and the speed of the Treo are contributing factors.
    Following up on my own post; it appears that changing the modem script to "au cdmaOne C413S by Sony " appears to have more than doubled the download speed. Of course, your results may vary.
    This thread leads to me ask: Is anyone using one of the PC card modems on a laptop with Sprint? (Such as the PCS Connection Card Merlin C201.) If so, what is your experience -- speeds, accessibility, set-up, etc.
  8.    #8  
    Yes. One of my employess is useing the Air Card form Sprint on a new Dell laptop in his truck. We use it to show clients their web sites and acccess our servers for mail. The speed is great and it will be hooked up to GPS soon.

The only issue is that the graphics quality goes down for some reason. It not that bad being a wireless connection.

I am attempting to do the same with my Mac TI 500
    I guess the Sprint Dialer 3.0 desktop software that I use with the Kyo 6035 won't work with the Treo?

Anybody heard anything about when there might be a way to do it?
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
  10.    #10  
    Regarding the wireless modem software. It looks great but I have a problem. ( I know it;s not supported but I will ask anyway). When I set up my network prefs. I dont have any place where I can select USB Modem. What Am I missing?
    Regarding the wireless modem software. It looks great but I have a problem. ( I know it;s not supported but I will ask anyway). When I set up my network prefs. I dont have any place where I can select USB Modem. What Am I missing?
    Did you:

0) Plug Treo into Mac
    1) Launch the WirelessModem app on OS X 10.2
    2) Open WirelessModem on Treo
    3) Select Enable Modem on Treo to Yes
    4) Launch System Preferences (if it is already open, clsoe it and repeat steps from 0).

It will show up as an Active Network Port, just like Internal Modem.
    The only issue is that the graphics quality goes down for some reason. It not that bad being a wireless connection.
    There appears to be a transparent proxy server in the middle of everything that is downsampling graphics. I just ran a test against my website and there is a big difference. Yes, it does help speed things up, but I'd like to have the choice.
  13.    #13  
    I have followed the steps and will try again when I am able.

Re the downsampleing of images, I would like to have the choice too.
    T-Mobile give you the choice in a profile page to turn off the graphics proxy to get uncompressed images. Sprint should consider this on their proxy.
  15.    #15  
    0) Plug Treo into Mac
    1) Launch the WirelessModem app on OS X 10.2
    2) Open WirelessModem on Treo
    3) Select Enable Modem on Treo to Yes
    4) Launch System Preferences (if it is already open, clsoe it and repeat steps from 0).

It will show up as an Active Network Port, just like Internal Modem.

-----------------------------------

I have followed the steps above and the USB Modem does not show up as an Active network port. Any sugestions?
    I am using one of the newer Merlin cf2031 modems and a vaio laptop. It works well everywhere I have been too in the past couple of weeks. I am using the laptop unlimited plan and so far no problems.

I had tried various ways to attach my treo to the laptop and when sprint decided to do the unlimited plan that made the day and I purchased the merlin. Prior to that, I had actually purchased the verizon version of the sierra wireless modem and was very pleased with the service. I also used the unlimited plan UNTIL I found out by accident that the unlimited plan only worked in your home area defined as "area code." Anything out of the home area was considered roaming and charged as such. Funny thing is that none of the sales people or CS people were aware of that slight limitiation. 1000 dollars of roaming later and some serious discussions with the customer service folks finally yielded a service credit and cacellation of the verizon plan.

Needless to say, I am happy that sprint has none of these corss-network issues and look forward to enjoying the merlin as much as I have been enjoying my tree.
    I have followed the steps above and the USB Modem does not show up as an Active network port. Any sugestions?
    Unfortunately I don't have any other suggestions; most Mac users haven't had problems and these steps have worked fine. Sorry.
    Originally posted by zflyr
    I also used the unlimited plan UNTIL I found out by accident that the unlimited plan only worked in your home area defined as "area code." Anything out of the home area was considered roaming and charged as such. Funny thing is that none of the sales people or CS people were aware of that slight limitiation. 1000 dollars of roaming later and some serious discussions with the customer service folks finally yielded a service credit and cacellation of the verizon plan.
    I live in a small town 30 min. from Salt Lake City. It has a different area code than SLC. However, half of the time I would be using the Treo in SLC. Does this mean that the unlimited data would only apply to my small town? And not the entire Sprint network? If this is the case, then it looks like it's back to the Sidekick.
    Originally posted by slffl

I live in a small town 30 min. from Salt Lake City. It has a different area code than SLC. However, half of the time I would be using the Treo in SLC. Does this mean that the unlimited data would only apply to my small town? And not the entire Sprint network? If this is the case, then it looks like it's back to the Sidekick.
    I re-read the post that referred to this and I believe the poster was talking about Verizon's unlimited plan with the Merlin and not Sprint.
    I was saying that the Sprint plan is a true nationwide plan unlike the verizon plan which without stating such, is only a local unlimited with nationwide roaming. How ridiculous is that when you are talking about a mobile product?
Page 1 of 28 12345611 ... LastLast