Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    After reading 11 interesting pages in this thread I wonder if the 7135 and/or i500 will ship without Windows XP wireless modem drivers. I know of several 300 users (I won't name any names: you know who you are) who will be returning their 300's back to Circuit City when the 7135 comes out.

While I appreciate yalls diligence, I'm not impressed with the "less than blazing" speeds attained. I have DSL at home, DSL at work, internet while walking the dog / in the bathroom / waiting in line on my 6035. I could have 802.11b on the porch, but don't need it. If I travelled, then I guess I could appreciate what yall are trying to achieve more. My laptop doesn't have irda or serial, only usb so I'll continue following this thread to see if a Windows xp driver gets developed.

Now that Palm and Handspring have caved to RIM's demands, it appears thumboards are here to stay. I like the thumboard, but the 300 has other limitations beyond the topic of this thread. I will probably buy a 7135 or i500 to replace my 6035. My next smartphone after that will hopefully have a thumboard. Perhaps Handspring's successor to the 300 will fit the bill.
    David
    Scott,

Is there/will there be a a Wireless Modem solution for the Treo 300 and OS 9.x ?
    Sorry if this has been asked before, I could not find it in the forums.
    -Michael
    Originally posted by drw
    After reading 11 interesting pages in this thread I wonder if the 7135 and/or i500 will ship without Windows XP wireless modem drivers. I know of several 300 users (I won't name any names: you know who you are) who will be returning their 300's back to Circuit City when the 7135 comes out.

I can tell you that the 7135 comes built in with a program that switches it to a wireless modem and when you connect it to a laptop, it automatically registers itself as a USB Modem using standard drivers built into the OS. When I tried a 7135 with Mac OS X, it required NO drivers. I can only assume that this is the case with Windows XP.

I played with the 7135 for about an hour a few months before I bought my Treo 300 and was completely convinced that the Treo 300 was for me. The thumboard makes all the difference in the world; while I've been using Palm OS based devices for almost 6 years, I still am not very good at Graffiti. The 7135 is a phone first, PDA second; while the Treo 300 is a PDA first, phone second. For my uses, I like a PDA first.

Once the 7135 comes out, there sitll may be a use for my WirelessModem program, but not over serial or USB...it may work for IR and believe it or not, Bluetooth. Since the 7135 has an SD slot (hopefully they'll have SDIO built in), you could (in theory), plug a Bluetooth card in the SD slot and connect your laptop wirelessly to your phone.
    Originally posted by mschwarz
    Scott,

Is there/will there be a a Wireless Modem solution for the Treo 300 and OS 9.x ?
    Sorry if this has been asked before, I could not find it in the forums.
    -Michael
    Just download the Palm Desktop from Handspring (the one that supports the Treo 300), and basically follow the directions for Mac OS 9 in our documentation (they were originally meant for GSM, but should work fine with the Treo 300), but substitute #777 for the phone number.
    Originally posted by DougLucas
    Okay... I'm sold. Maybe Sprint will come out with an application or maybe they won't, but for now, this is good enough for me. I used Bluejay's instruction sheet and, though I'm still curious why we're apparently limiting the connection to 9.6K, nevertheless, it still seems I'm connecting well now! So I just went to the Notifymail site and became a paying customer. Thanks to everyone here!

Doug
    I've had reports that choosing a standard 56K modem also works fine and yields better results. It might be worth a little experiment.
    Originally posted by Bluejay
    Here's a crack at comprehensive instructions for Windows 2000.
    I'm backtracking here, so somebody check my work.
    Thanks for posting this! I've updated the documentation at: <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/help.htm> to reflect this and will soon update the archives with this new information.
    Scott,

I placed my vote today. Thank you for providing a great product. With some help from the online community I hope we can get the speed up.

Kboogie
    On the topic of speed, Sprint's network is definitely faster than 9.6k. The reason that some people are set to that is probably because of limitations of their IrDA port, not Sprint's net.

For comparison, using a Hitachi P300 phone (another Sprint vision phone), I just plugged in the cable under linux and windows and it was immediately recognize. The phone automatically realized it was connected to a laptop and went into 'wireless modem' mode. All I had to do was send ATDT#777.

Speeds were 5kB-7kB/s average, but peaking up to about 12kB/s occasionally.

But I can settle for a little less speed for everything else the wonderful Treo provides. Hopefully USB will eventually help a little here.

Now I just need to sell off this Hitachi P300 USB data cable.
  9. jmw
    Thanks to Scott and everyone on this board... I got it working over IR and win2k today! The speed was faster than I expected, DSLReports said 29kbps download and 28kbps upload.

I would prefer to use the USB/linux combo, but my laptop is dual boot, and this will do in a pinch. And it seems like there's a fair chance that the linux USB drivers will eventually work.

Now i'm heading over to pay my $35
    Scott-
    I've been playing with different generic modem speeds, but haven't gotten any improvement. I did take note that in my instructions, I didn't give directions for adding a generic modem into Windows' list of active devices.
    Here it is as steps 3 & 4 (replacing step 3 from previous rev).
    BTW-I "voted" yesterday. Keep up the good work.

3. Create a new Modem: Start > Settings> Control Panel> Phone and Modem Options> Modems( tab)> Add..> select “Don’t detect my modem; I will select it from a list> Next> select (Standard Modem Types)> select “Standard 9600bps Modem> Next>select “COM3”> Next> Finish

4. Create a new Connection: Start > Settings> Control Panel> Network and Dial-up Connections> Make new Connection. The Network Connection Wizard will launch. Select “Dial-up to private network"> select "Modem Standard 9600bps (Modem#2 COM3)" > Enter “#777” as the phone #> select to make it available just for yourself or for everyone (it doesn’t matter)> Give it a name such as “Treo modem”
    Originally posted by Bluejay
    Scott-
    I've been playing with different generic modem speeds, but haven't gotten any improvement. I did take note that in my instructions, I didn't give directions for adding a generic modem into Windows' list of active devices.
    Here it is as steps 3 & 4 (replacing step 3 from previous rev).
    BTW-I "voted" yesterday. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the update; I've updated the documentation. Also, I've posted version 1.0.6 which automatically disconnects from Vision before attempting to Enable Modem which should save a step or two. (This version is not yet in the archives, but posted at the website.)

Again, as for modem speeds, I've gotten so many different reports, I have no idea what is truly accurate! I've also been told that using the following init string helps: AT&F0E0Q0V1X4S0=0

BTW, this thread and the support I've received has made me keep working on WirelessModem.
    Has anyone compared the connection speeds to the Sprint Vision network between InfraRed and a serial cable, using Scott's WirelessModem program, on a Windows XP/2000 laptop?

I am thinking about purchasing the serial cable that Handspring sells but I don't want to waste $29.99 if there is no noticeable improvement in my connection speed to the Vision network. I realize that this cable allow me to place the treo wherever I want instead of keeping it in front of the IR port but it would be nice to get a faster internet as well. On a side note I noticed that when I hotsync using InfraRed it is significantly slower than my USB cable??

I'm still trying to tweak this vision connection in Windows XP to get the speeds seen on some Apple computers and the Merlin wireless PCMCIA card.

FYI Personally I have never seen my downloads exceed 30Kbps. Usually they are in teh 19Kbps - 22Kbps range. I am testing my connection speeds using dslreports.com and a wsftp program. wsftp.exe (obtained at www.download.com) gives me a real time download speed while I am ftping a file to my laptop.

Don't get me wrong I am happy with the speeds I am seeing, I am just trying to get the most out of this connection. I would like to understand why others see faster speeds and I do not. I'm sure I'll eventually figure it out but if anyone has any insight please post your comments.
    Scott,

Your doing a great job. The 1.0.6 version works great! I like the "auto disconnect from the vision network" feature. Also, the init string had no effect on my connection. I am still getting the same speeds.

Everyone Else,

Curious.... Does everyone else get a connection speed that says you are connected at 9.6kbps (W2K or XP)? My speed always shows I am connected at 9.6kbps regardless of the speeds reported at dslreports.com or by my wsft program. Clearly this 9.6kbps is incorrect because I am able to download file at speeds 2 to 3 X faster than 9.6kbps. For the past year I connected my laptop through my Motorola Timeport phone and it was a true 9.6kbps connection. I've noticed a significant improvement with the treo--> laptop internet connection vs. the timeport --> laptop connection.

Any chance of a Handspring\Sprint engineer giving us a hand in this group?? Maybe we could invite one as a guest speaker??LOL We are doing pretty good on our own but it sure could help speed this process up.

Any guesses as to what the bottle neck is in my connection? Are we missing a good driver from sprint\handspring? Or, would that even make a difference? My guess is the hardware has the capability to give me faster speeds but we are lacking a good driver to maximize the hardware utilization. Hey, but what do I know anway??
    Originally posted by slushy
    Scott,

Your doing a great job. The 1.0.6 version works great! I like the "auto disconnect from the vision network" feature. Also, the init string had no effect on my connection. I am still getting the same speeds.

Everyone Else,

Curious.... Does everyone else get a connection speed that says you are connected at 9.6kbps (W2K or XP)? My speed always shows I am connected at 9.6kbps regardless of the speeds reported at dslreports.com or by my wsft program. Clearly this 9.6kbps is incorrect because I am able to download file at speeds 2 to 3 X faster than 9.6kbps. For the past year I connected my laptop through my Motorola Timeport phone and it was a true 9.6kbps connection. I've noticed a significant improvement with the treo--> laptop internet connection vs. the timeport --> laptop connection.

Any chance of a Handspring\Sprint engineer giving us a hand in this group?? Maybe we could invite one as a guest speaker??LOL We are doing pretty good on our own but it sure could help speed this process up.

Any guesses as to what the bottle neck is in my connection? Are we missing a good driver from sprint\handspring? Or, would that even make a difference? My guess is the hardware has the capability to give me faster speeds but we are lacking a good driver to maximize the hardware utilization. Hey, but what do I know anway??
    Windows is broken (no suprise there :-)). It should NOT report any connect speed as Vision is coming back with CONNECT and not CONNECT 9600. Mac OS X simply says "connected at unknown rate". I think that the IR or serial connection could be slower than the USB connection. Since there is no hardware handshaking, there could be a significant number of retransmits that causes a slow down. With my USB connection, it seems to work well. Again, as I've said before, my connection over USB has varied from 10-12 kbps to almost 50 kbps with no changes on Mac OS X or to WirelessModem.
  15. jmw
    Originally posted by slushy
    Scott,

Everyone Else,

Yeah, I also get the 9.6 connection speed indicator, even though the true speed is between 25 and 30.

I have tried a bunch of stuff to see if it helps the speed:
    1) Messing with serial port speeds on the windows modem and the treo settings
    2) Scott's init string
    3) Overclocking (in case the passthru needed more CPU power)

None of them had any noticeable effect.
    Originally posted by jmw

Yeah, I also get the 9.6 connection speed indicator, even though the true speed is between 25 and 30.

I have tried a bunch of stuff to see if it helps the speed:
    1) Messing with serial port speeds on the windows modem and the treo settings
    2) Scott's init string
    3) Overclocking (in case the passthru needed more CPU power)

None of them had any noticeable effect.
    I was reading on HowardForums about people getting significantly varied speeds (some as low as 25-30 kbps) connecting a cable to one of the Vision phones (not the Treo), so it might just be Vision. Some speculate that it is USB vs. serial.
    Keep up the great work Scott.

I am waiting until this Friday to see if the 7135 is released or not. If it is then I am debating between the 300 and the 7135. If it's not, then there is no debate. (Even if it is, the 300 just might still win.)

If I end up with a 300 on 11/16, then my first accessory purchase for it is going to be $35 for Wireless Mail!

Thanks for all of your work and continued support. You're awesome!

Keith
    Hi, could someone post instructions on using this wireless modem program over a USB cable instead of an IR port ?

I won't have my treo until next week or so, but I assume the usb-sync cable included in the treo 300 package can be used for this operation ?

It's not entirely clear, I assume you can plug the treo into a standard a/c wall outlet and use the device and usb sync, or will I need to purchase the cradle to do all this ?

(you ask, why would I do this ? the phone lines around here are really poor, my current dialup speed is 21600)
    From those who have posted on this thread:

If you're using Mac OS X, you can use the USB cable.

If you're using Win XP (or earlier) there is not a USB modem driver so you are forced to use the IR port or the serial port. Everyone is waiting for someone to develop a Win XP USB modem driver.

Detailed instructiosn can be found on Scott's website:

http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/help.htm
  20.    #180  
    Anyone know why I can not sync with Mac Sys X (jaguar)?

Everything was working until I downloaded the newest w. modem app. W. Modem is closed and deleted from my hard drive so that is not the issue. I would love to sync the newest version so I can buy it bus so far, no go.

Any help would be great.
    <b>The difficult is easy, the impossible takes time.</b>
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast