Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    I can see the downsampling now. If I got to notifymail.com the Palm Software buttom looks more downsampled than the home button. I cleared out the cache in case that was the reason for that artifact, but I still get it in IE. Thanks for the pointer. I should have looked at a higher contrast image for my own example.

Conrad
    Scott-
    I've got it running using Windows2000
    Here's the rundown.
    Loaded the new Test Version and synced it into the Treo.
    (http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/)

Following your documentation, downloaded the IR COM software(make sure to close Hotsynch before doing the Setup).
    Set-up a new Generic 9600bps modem .
    To check the modem's settings, right click>Properties> Configure>unclick "Enable hardware flow control"
    Insert phone number:"#777"
    Under the Networking tab, select TCP/IP and select Properties> then Advanced> and deselect "Use IP Header Compression".

On the Treo itself, I increased the receive buffer size to 8192 (via Advanced Setup). The settings I placed on the screen are: PDA modem port is set on Wireless Modem at 230,400 and the laptop is on the IrCOMM at 230,400.
    Placing the phone so that I get an IR link., turn off the Hotsync program, make sure that Enable modem is selected, the launch the new modem (either from the N&D-up off of the control panel or N&D-up from Settings off the start button.)
    I've got a slow connection, but I'm also down to one bar.
    I've actually gained access to our iron-clad VPN.
    Scott , Bluejay you are da man!

Bluejay, those instructions worked great! I've been connected from 30 minutes without interuption and I am posting this message from my Windows XP laptop with an infrared connection to my treo 300. The connection is not very fast but it is totally useable and I am very happy. The first two times I connected for only 5 minutes and lost data connectivity (connection status said connected but there was no data throughput) After the 2nd redial my treo locked up but after a soft reset it was fine (no data loss). I immediately went back into the wmodem application and reconnected and I have stayed connected ever since. I have been following this thread for the past few days and hoped someone would post good instructions on how to connect via windows xp. Thank you Scott and Bluejay and all who have been involved with this project. As soon as my wife let's me spend $35 I will send you some money!
    Below is my first Dslreports.com line test. As you can see my connection is not fast but it's stable. I've been connected for over an hour. I guess it's about time to see if I can speed it up a little. I will post any progress that I make. Also, I will let you know if I get charged for any of this. I doubt I will, but you never know with that crazy billing dept that Sprint has.

2002-11-08 22:55:30 EST: 12 / 18
    Your download speed : 12132 bps, or 12 kbps.
    A 1.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 18648 bps, or 18 kbps.

Your upload speed is much faster than down.. have you tweaked?
    Your connection hardly qualified as broadband, at least in that test
    Thanks for all the reports; you foiks have given me a new enhancement idea for WirelessModem...the next version is only going to allow unregistered versions to keep connected for 10 minutes! Maybe that will convince people to purchase a license :-)
    I guess I should not have said I could keep the connection for more than an hour. Let's go back and restate that connection time as 15 seconds. All kidding aside, the program is rock solid and you’ve done a great job. I don't know if I am the first but I hope I am not the last to be a bonafied-paying customer. I just purchased this program off the website for the reasonable price of $35. (http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/)

I highly encourage anyone else, who is using WirelessModem to grab your credit card and pay the "man" for his time.

Scott,

I hope my payment will encourage you to continue your work.
    Some linux results:

I've gotten USB hotsyncing under linux working with some experimental drivers. They're buggy though, in a way that currently prevents them from working with WirelessModem. Hoping the driver authors can fix it, but I don't know if that'll hapen.

I've gotten IrDA (sir) under linux working with WirelessModem at 115200. Before changing the buffer, WirelessModem just seemed to freeze and require a soft reset, but once I kicked it up to 8192 or above all was well.

The first time I conneted, I lost my connection after a few minutes, but when I reconnected, it seemed to stay up.

Didn't do anything bandwidth tests, but latency was:

15 packets, round-trip min/avg/max/mdev = 500/939/1555/323 ms.

The latency may have been increased by the IrDA link. I couldn't say.
    Well I spent alot of the day testing the app to see how stable my connection will be. I have tweaked my setup as much as possible and am connecting at 57,600. One thing to make sure is that when you create a new connection in Win xpyou have to make sure you set the speed for the modem under control panel modems and inside the connection properties. If you only do one you will not get connected. Set all three including the treo at 57,600. I am using the serial cable and I dowloaded the sprint connection software. Although I cannot use the software I used the sprint connection modem driver included with this. I also hooked laptop up in the car yesterday and streamed audio on the 45 min trip home form work!!!!!!!!!! Never dropped or buffered. Dslreports shows me between 38-45k download. Scott I was going to tell you about the time restraint on the software as to make sure you get the credit that you deserve for the software. I will be purchasing my copy tommorow. Thnaks again for what seems to be a great product!!!!!

Jim
    2002-11-09 09:04:58 EST: 19 / 34
    Your download speed : 19275 bps, or 19 kbps.
    A 2.3 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 34761 bps, or 34 kbps.

Not blazing, but I can confirm getting improved throughput by setting all three at 57,600. The Treo's "Laptop" and "Wireless Modem" settings are easy to find.
    For the laptop: Start> Settings> Control panel> Network & Dialup Connections> rightclick the IR modem> properties> Configure> set "Maximum speed (bps) to 57,600.

Scott,
    I'm gladly spending the $35 to register this. Great job.
    BTW- Unless there's a downside, I think the status lights on the Treo screen should be defaulted to "on". In fact, why build-in the ability to turn on or off? It's handy to see the activity.
    Originally posted by Bluejay
    2002-11-09 09:04:58 EST: 19 / 34
    Your download speed : 19275 bps, or 19 kbps.
    A 2.3 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 34761 bps, or 34 kbps.

Not blazing, but I can confirm getting improved throughput by setting all three at 57,600. The Treo's "Laptop" and "Wireless Modem" settings are easy to find.
    For the laptop: Start> Settings> Control panel> Network & Dialup Connections> rightclick the IR modem> properties> Configure> set "Maximum speed (bps) to 57,600.

Scott,
    I'm gladly spending the $35 to register this. Great job.
    BTW- Unless there's a downside, I think the status lights on the Treo screen should be defaulted to "on". In fact, why build-in the ability to turn on or off? It's handy to see the activity.
    My concern with the status lights is that they could affect performance; that's why they're defaulted to off. If people aren't seeing a performance hit, then I can turn them on.

Also, as to the performance testing, I've found that they're all over the place. Going to dslreports.com, I get widely different results from the two servers in the same connection.
    Originally posted by teevah1
    Scott I was going to tell you about the time restraint on the software as to make sure you get the credit that you deserve for the software. I will be purchasing my copy tommorow. Thnaks again for what seems to be a great product!!!!!

Jim
    I've been thinking more about a time limit and am not 100% convinced that I should implement it. As a user trying out the software, I think that this would just annoy me more than anything else. The response I've gotten this week has been decent and if it keeps up, I'm not going to put in the time limit. I've seen other software that limits the number of launches, but I think that this would be bad as I know many of you are launching it over and over again in attempting to get it working.

This thread as well as the mailing list I've setup have definitely encouraged me to get this going; I'm quite pleased that people are helping each other and not sending me email (that was my big complaint before). I'll keep posting and responding as much as I can.

Thanks again for all your support.
    I was one of those who could only hold a connection for a couple of minutes. But I got it working after downloading the new test version that Scott recently made available using Windows XP and IR to Treo. 16/21 Kbs down/upload as reported by dslreports. Not blazing, but persistent and certainly acceptable for the several times I may be stuck needing wireless access for my laptop when other connectivity methods are not available. The idea, for example, that I can be sitting in my truck (parked, of course) and look up some pertinent info from a network resource is still kind of mind-boggling.

I, like others in this thread, voted with my wallet. Thanks for your work on this Scott, as well as all the arduous Windows users who tweaked until they got it and reported back your useful findings.

Sidenote: I think it is worth mentioning, in terms of gratitude, that no small player in this is Sprint themselves for throwing unlimited data out there for us. I am not so naive to think that this is altruism on their part; I am sure it makes good business sense. But after reading endless threads bashing Sprint as the worst customer service experience known to man, I can't help but think that we are in an amazing era where we can do some incredible things for the small investment of some shareware and $10/month.

Back on topic: I was hoping that tweak-meister teevah1 would be willing to give IR a try and compare findings with his already successful use of the serial cable. I'm impressed by the throughput he is reporting as compared to what I am seeing via IR.
    Very cool!!

Wireless Modem test version from the website is working great over IR with my Windows XP laptop. It was easy to set up too.

I'm on my way to Scott's website to purchase right now.

Thanks Scott for a great Palm app and also for pointing us to Jan Kiszka's needed IrCOMM2k.

David
    I played with the earlier version with limited success. I just downloaded the new test version an hour ago, and was up and surfing via my *sweetness* in just a couple of minutes. I just finished my purchase at the website!!! Thanx for the great software Scott!

Additionally, I haven't heard anyone jump up to work on the Windows driver for this. I haven't done any windows programming since the 3.5NT days, but I do have all the devel packages to do it. Haven't written a DD under windows, just under linux. If there hasn't been anyone stepping forward to work on the Windows side, I'll throw my hat in...and at least give it a go.

Let me know
    ---
    Alex Hernandez
    If a Windows user can post updated instructions for using IR or serial, I'd really appreciate it so that I can update the documentation and call the latest test version a final version.

Everyone's patience and desire to get WirelessModem working on Windows is amazing and definitely encourages me.

I'm also quite pleased to see people voting with their wallets.

Another feature that I will add to WirelessModem once I get information from Handspring is that tapping Enable Modem will disconnect you from Vision so that you won't get the error message that it can't open the PDA port.
    While so far I've only had true success via IR, I have high hopes for USB functionality under linux in the not too distant future, and maybe even Windows USB someday. In the meantime IR will do the job in a pinch.

So here's one more order. Just purchased.

Alex, I'm sure there are a ton of people who would be greatly appreciate of a Windows USB driver.

sgruby,

I'd recommend against any time limitations, other than the expires-after-x-days one already in there.
    Originally posted by jshrieve

sgruby,

I'd recommend against any time limitations, other than the expires-after-x-days one already in there.
    At the moment, I tend to agree because I know that I'd be annoyed if I left for a trip, was trying out the software only to find out that it booted me off after x minutes. Also, I've stated that the purchased version is identical to the demo version except that it doesn't expire.

(I'm also hoping that a Windows USB driver can be written; it would definitely make configuration easier.)
    Here's a crack at comprehensive instructions for Windows 2000.
    I'm backtracking here, so somebody check my work.

Setting-up your Laptop

1. Download the new version of WirelessModem and sync it into the Treo (available at http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/)

2. Install an IR COM port on the Windows machine. This is a driver that allows the computer to access a modem through the Infrared port. Download a free one from here: http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~kis...ish/index.html and follow the installation instructions. Note that you will need to turn off the HotSync manager when you install this to make sure it will not conflict with the IR port. To do this, right click the HotSync icon in the tray (the lower right corner of your screen) and select “Exit”.

3. Create a new Modem: Start > Settings> Control Panel> Network and Dial-up Connections> Make new Connection. The Network Connection Wizard will launch. Select “Dial-up to private network"> select "Modem Standard 9600bps (Modem#2 COM3)" > Enter “#777” as the phone #> select to make it available just for yourself or for everyone (it doesn’t matter)> Give it a name such as “Treo modem”

4. With the "Network and Dial-up Connections" still open, right click the modem you just created> Properties> Insert phone number:"#777" if it isn't there. Configure> unselect "Enable hardware flow control" and set maximum speed to 57600

5. Under the "Networking" tab, highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and select Properties> Advanced> and unselect "Use IP Header Compression"

Setting-up your Treo 300

1. Launch WirelessModem and set Port 1 as IRComm at 9,600 and Port 2 as Wireless Modem at 9,600.

2. Pull down the menu with the command key (:menu: ) > select “Advanced Setup…” and increase the Buffer Size to at least 8192.

To make a connection with the Treo

1. Turn-off the Hot Sync manager (To do this, right click the HotSync icon in the”tray” in the lower right of your screen and select “Exit”.)

2. Launch Wireless Modem on the Treo and select “Yes” for “Enable Modem”

3. Line the top of the Treo with your notebook computer's IR port (Windows should detect a link).

4. Launch (Connect) the new modem you created (either from "Network and Dial-up Connections" off of the "Control Panel" or "Network and Dial-up Connections" from "Settings" off the Start button.)
    Okay... I'm sold. Maybe Sprint will come out with an application or maybe they won't, but for now, this is good enough for me. I used Bluejay's instruction sheet and, though I'm still curious why we're apparently limiting the connection to 9.6K, nevertheless, it still seems I'm connecting well now! So I just went to the Notifymail site and became a paying customer. Thanks to everyone here!

Doug
    Doug
    The bandwidth limitation is a function of the equipment.
    We are spoiled with DSL and Cable connections and expect the same on our cell phones as we have on our wired set-ups at home.
    The infrastructure at the mobile carriers simply isn't yet up to the task of delivering higher bandwidth in the same way that is capible over wire.
    In time, this will improve, but for now, we have to tweak what's available to us.

Actually, Sprint is on the cutting edge.
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast