Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 552
  1. #121  
    I've spent the last week trying to get the treo to connect at acceptible speeds on a XP box both via IR and Serial... no luck so far, I've seen multiple init strings posted.. is there a way for you OS X people to paste the entire contents of sony cdmaone script that is run? that's the only issue I see at this point....


    Thanks much
  2. #122  
    one thing that i am trying now is I dl'd the sprint connection software which has drivers for other phones. i installed the sprint pcs connection modem as the modem driver in windows. I still can only connect at the highest of 57600. I just started to try this and my speed is good at first but after a couple of mins seems to drop off. I will post when i know more.
  3. #123  
    Originally posted by btsipenyuk
    I've spent the last week trying to get the treo to connect at acceptible speeds on a XP box both via IR and Serial... no luck so far, I've seen multiple init strings posted.. is there a way for you OS X people to paste the entire contents of sony cdmaone script that is run? that's the only issue I see at this point....


    Thanks much
    Another Windows users has been doing some testing for me over IR. He has found that using "Standard 56000 bps V90 Modem" yields decent results. However, you must disable IP Header Compression. Also, I've posted a test version of the software at: <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/> that has an Advanced Options menu. If you set the buffer size (under Advanced Options) to 8192 or higher, you should be able to maintain a connection and have decent throughput.
  4. #124  
    Thanks Scott I just dl'd that program and will try it. I am noticing good speed using the sprint modem driver. But I have noticed if the connection sits idle for a couple seconds and the arrows turn brown then you are done you cannot go to anymore sites.
  5. #125  
    Originally posted by teevah1
    Thanks Scott I just dl'd that program and will try it. I am noticing good speed using the sprint modem driver. But I have noticed if the connection sits idle for a couple seconds and the arrows turn brown then you are done you cannot go to anymore sites.
    What arrows turn brown? On the Treo? I think that the new version with the buffer size changes and disabling IP header compression should allow you to stay on longer.
  6. #126  
    yes the data arrows on the treo. I installed new version and set the buffer size to 16000. Now the data errors on the connection status are gone for received. I just did speed test at dslreports.com and received 20kbps dl speed and 16 up. And it seems as of now I am not losing my data connection. I am going to **** around with the modem speed again and will post results. Again thanks for the great work you are doing.


    Jim
  7. #127  
    set modem to 57600 and now received 30kbps down 44 kbps up on dslreports.com This is really cool. Connection appears to be stable and working fine. You are the man Scott.



    Jim
  8. #128  
    one even better is when i let the treo go inactive and the data arrows turned brown. I got a phone call and it came through although i did not answer it. then checked connection on laptop and it was still good!!!!!! Gotta love it
  9. #129  
    Your download speed : 20136 bps, or 20 kbps.
    A 2.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 24473 bps, or 24 kbps

    -----

    I'm even posting this message via my treo 300 on ir in XP..
    the new test version did the trick, set the buffers to 16k, wireless modem and ircomm driver to 230,000. no other changes..... Very stable the last 10 minutes.

    I find that ping times average between 750-1100ms and also web page images download somewhat after the html is rendered but... it's rockin'!! While doing the above dslreports speed test I noticed that the data comes down in bursts (as evident by the latency numbers) but... playing around with port speeds and buffer sizes will no doubt reveal the optimal combo!

    as noted before after a connection is established incoming phone calls go right to voicemail (as another minor sidenote I found that if wirelessmodem is open (and modem is enabled but not yet connected to vision) on the palm and a call comes in... the palm seems to lock up.. a very minor complaint, I'm going to switch back to a lan connection to register wirelessmodem.

    ROCK ON! ps please don't tell sprint we got this working
  10. #130  
    Ok at 57600 it is working great. You cannot go to 115200 will not connect. Seems to work very well at 57600 and would be acceptable to me for what it would be used for.



    Jim
  11. #131  
    just listened to radio station through windows media player to see what it would do. Did not buffer more than 3 times in 5 mins I should also state that I am using a serial cable. Will have to try infrared later.
  12. #132  
    Just to add my 2 cents here... I'm going to give it a try on Windows XP/IR this weekend. If I can get it working, seems like I should will all the suggestions posted out there I'll gladly pay the $35 for this little app. I'll post my results by Monday.

    Tom
  13.    #133  
    Do these new speed results carry over to the mac?
    <b>The difficult is easy, the impossible takes time.</b>
  14. #134  
    I'm on a WIN 2K laptop (company issue, otherwise it would be a Powerbook).
    Ive done the downloads but still cant get the IR to flow between Laptop & Treo. It looks like some of you have, through gradual approximation, goteen this to work. There was an excellent step-by-step set up for Powerbooks.
    I'd gladly fork over $35 to register this software if I could get explicit instructions to get it up and running.

    BTW- Scott, I'm impressed with the amount of time and help you've given people on this. You'd think Handspring would be all over this feature.
  15.    #135  
    I checked dlsreports.com and here is my connection:

    54527 (54 kpbs) download with a 6.6 kb. sec transfer rate
    &
    9011 (9 kbps) upload. OUCH

    Maybe I will get even better results later.
    <b>The difficult is easy, the impossible takes time.</b>
  16. #136  
    Originally posted by hbsr17
    I checked dlsreports.com and here is my connection:

    54527 (54 kpbs) download
    &
    9011 (9 kbps) upload. OUCH

    Maybe I will get even better results later.
    You'll find results all over the board. I think you have to remember that Sprint is using a transparent proxy server (as evidenced by the downsampling of graphics) which may skew the results.
  17. #137  
    I've been able to connect repeatedly throughout the day and have consistently had connections speeds of over 50kbps up to 70 all over the Chicagoland area on my PowerBook.

    One thing I haven't seen is downsampled images. I compared an image on a web page to a local full res copy that I had. the image downloaded over the Treo was identical. I haven't been able to find any evidence of the proxy so far. Scott - could you elaborate on why you believe that there may be an tranparent proxy on the Sprint network? It would make sense for them to have one since it would allow them to throttle back data traffic on the network to guarantee enough bandwidth for voice.

    Conrad
  18. #138  
    Originally posted by Bluejay
    I'm on a WIN 2K laptop (company issue, otherwise it would be a Powerbook).
    Ive done the downloads but still cant get the IR to flow between Laptop & Treo. It looks like some of you have, through gradual approximation, goteen this to work. There was an excellent step-by-step set up for Powerbooks.
    I'd gladly fork over $35 to register this software if I could get explicit instructions to get it up and running.

    BTW- Scott, I'm impressed with the amount of time and help you've given people on this. You'd think Handspring would be all over this feature.
    You'll want to download the latest test version (URL posted earlier in the thread) and set the receive buffer size to at least 8192 and disable IP header compression.

    If a user provides me with a detailed step by step for Windows users, I'd be more than happy to put it in the documentation. Unfortunately this hasn't happened. Since I'm not a Windows person, I can't document it myself.
  19.    #139  
    I was not complaining about the speed at all. I love it!

    This is way cool! I am very happy to be able to walk around with the computer.
    <b>The difficult is easy, the impossible takes time.</b>
  20. #140  
    Originally posted by Conrad
    One thing I haven't seen is downsampled images. I compared an image on a web page to a local full res copy that I had. the image downloaded over the Treo was identical. I haven't been able to find any evidence of the proxy so far. Scott - could you elaborate on why you believe that there may be an tranparent proxy on the Sprint network? It would make sense for them to have one since it would allow them to throttle back data traffic on the network to guarantee enough bandwidth for voice.

    Conrad
    Connect to: <http://www.notifymail.com/>...look at the buttons on the left. They definitely look different when connecting over the Sprint PCS network (you'll have to reload and/or clear your cache to see them). I use Chimera, but also I believe I saw this in Internet Explorer.

    Take a look at the attached picture...image on the left is normal, image on the right is through Sprint PCS.
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions