Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    It shows ok when using the sony command string you listed. Then it shows on the laptop that it is dialing #777 shortly after is when debugging mode shows error.
    Originally posted by teevah1
    It shows ok when using the sony command string you listed. Then it shows on the laptop that it is dialing #777 shortly after is when debugging mode shows error.
    I believe that this has been covered in another thread (or maybe this one); Windows is sending something else in the dial string that the Treo doesn't understand. You'll need to find a way to get Windows to NOT send extra information. What AT command is sent right before ERROR? (It is probably ATD something.)
    at+cbst=0,,1 then the error
    at+cbst=0,,1 then the error
    I believe that this is a GSM command. Check out:

<http://www.dugeem.net/david/work/gsm-data.html>

You need to figure out a way for Windows to NOT send this as the module inside of the Treo doesn't understand this.
    Hold everything......... I just got it to connect at 38.4 which is what i have the port set at. The problem was I tried a nokia modem driver when it was not working and it left gsm strings in. I will post what I get using this now. Thanks again scott.
    okay I got it to connect at 38.4 and thats it. It will not go any higher no matter of the settings. On 57, 600 debugger shows an error with the init string. tried the sony string in extra settings but it still shows it is using the old string.
    okay I got it to connect at 38.4 and thats it. It will not go any higher no matter of the settings. On 57, 600 debugger shows an error with the init string. tried the sony string in extra settings but it still shows it is using the old string.
    What is the init string?
    at&fe0v1&c1&d2s95=47s0=0
    What does "Unable to open PDA Modem Port" mean?

I have it set as 'Wireless modem' and 'Serial', both at 38,400. Tried several other speeds as well, same response as well.

What did I do wrong? I something else on my Treo utilizing the port? If so, how to shut it down....

Thanks!

James
    leave the wireless modem setting at 230,400 and set serial and 38,400 on laptop. You may have hotsync running in your taskbar right click on it and close. If this isnt working make sure you can run a hotsync using the serial port first. You may not have the serial ports active or could possibly be a conflict.
    scratch that make sure you are not connected to vision on your treo first. if so disconnect did not read your post correctly . should work after that
    Man... at the rate you guys are going you'll have it figure out soon! I can't really follow what's going on, but I'm hoping that very soon there will be a post that says exactly what to do and where to get the software to do it!
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Originally posted by Robert K.
    Man... at the rate you guys are going you'll have it figure out soon! I can't really follow what's going on, but I'm hoping that very soon there will be a post that says exactly what to do and where to get the software to do it!
    Buy a Mac and it's easy :-)
  14.    #114  
    Go Mac or go home. There are never these problems with Apple
    <b>The difficult is easy, the impossible takes time.</b>
    I have a PC laptop that I want to connect to a Treo 300, but I only have a USB port and no infrared port. I was considering using one of the many USB to infrared adapters available such as the ones from USBgear. Check out:

http://www.usbgear.com/usa/usb-irda.cfm

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know if this would work with the Wireless Modem software?
    This may sound crazy, but for us WinXP users, could we just run a small linux implementation in vmware that is setup as a router and dialed out through the treo...just a late night thought...

If anyone thinks this is not possible, I'll forget about it, otherwise I might spend a weekend working on it.

comments?
    It's very likely that that would work, given you can get it working under Linux. It's just a lot of hassle/overhead for most people.. but probably viable for the dedicated..
    I've gotten Wireless Modem to work with my Treo 300 with little trouble. I followed the instructions in the ReadMe page which didn't work for me. However I followed these steps as outlined by Scott and others in this forum and now I'm connected at 64/45kbps (I'm posting this via the Treo now).
    - go to Network under Preferences on the Treo and disconnect from Sprint.
    - launch WModem on the Treo
    - set PDA Modem Port to Wireless Modem
    - set Laptop Connected Via to USB Generic2
    - set both speeds to 230,400 or both to 115,000 (see below)
    - close Wireless Modem
    - close System Preferences in 10.2
    - plug Treo into PowerBook or other USB Mac
    - Launch the WirelessModem app on OS X 10.2
    - Open WirelessModem on Treo
    - Select Enable Modem on Treo to Yes
    - Launch System Preferences in 10.2
    - Go to settings for newly identified "USB Modem"
    - disable "Use TCP Header Compression" in the "PPP Options..." pane under the PPP tab.
    - I used the "au cdmaOne C413S by Sony" modem script in the Modem Tab, but the "Treo" script Scott provided works too (See speed results below).
    - set #777 as the phone number in the PPP tab.
    - select Apply
    - Launch "Internet Connect" and try to connect.

If you don't skip any of these steps, it ought to work. Scott's written a couple of really good apps here in the 10.2 driver and the WModem app. Great job Scott!

Conrad
    DSLReports results b/w SJ,CA and Chicago, IL 9AM
    Script | port spd | dn | up(kbps)
    Sony | 115,000 | 40 | 46
    Sony | 230,400 | 59 | 51
    Treo | 230,400 | 64 | 45
    Last edited by Conrad; 11/08/2002 at 09:38 AM.
    Originally posted by Conrad
    I've gotten Wireless Modem to work with my Treo 300 with little trouble. I followed the instructions in the ReadMe page which didn't work for me. However I followed these steps as outlined by Scott and others in this forum and now I'm connected at 64/45kbps (I'm posting this via the Treo now).
    Thanks for posting this information; I've updated the documentation at: <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/help.htm> with some of this information. I'm going to wait to update the archives themselves until I do a little more work on things.

I think that the speed results people are getting are completely network dependent, time dependent, and OS dependent. I've seen results going from awful to quite acceptable. Will it replace my cable modem? Absolutely not. Will I use it when I travel? Absolutely.
    If I'm reading all this correctly, it appears that the application will work on a windows machine, but it requires a serial hot sync cable vs the USB cable.
    The serial hotsync cable costs $30, and is yet another cable one has to lug around.

Question: Do all of the pin-outs for the serial cable come out via the USB cable? If so, one could make a simple USB to serial dongle, much like the cigarette lighter/usb dongle from Belkin :
    http://images.belkin.com/F8R3300/STD1_F8R3300.jpg

Anyone have the pin-out of the serial cable?