Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by sgruby
    I've changed the price for this week to $35. If I don't receive at least 50 registrations, I'm going to remove the software. I'd like to see people vote with their wallets (yes, today is election day in the US).

I'll create a mailing list for discussion, but there will still be no official support.
    Yahoo! Just received my registration number. Only 49 to go.
    My Treo 300 doesn't arrive until the end of the month. But when it does I'll download this software and give it a go. If I can get it to give me a connection on my laptop I'll buy it for the $35. And, as a programmer myself, I'm tenacious about reading documentation and fooling around with it until I can get it to work.

Regards,
    Wayne Cressman
    Originally posted by jshrieve
    Just downloaded the WirelessModem zip, even though I have no Treo to try it out on. Saw the help file -- explains a lot. Seeing that it works under Linux, that might be enough for me. I'll have to think on that one.

Thanks and good luck. If I get a Treo, I'll definitely get your program. =)

I think this is a major deal though. It you were going to list four features of a Treo 300, laptop net links would be one of them.
    Currently the Linux kernel doesn't support the Treo 300. I know that someone is working on it. (It supports the 180/270.)
    Originally posted by intractv

Yahoo! Just received my registration number. Only 49 to go.
    Thanks!

Currently the Linux kernel doesn't support the Treo 300. I know that someone is working on it. (It supports the 180/270.)
    Grah. Well that makes things much more difficult again.
    But I have more confidence in Linux kernel driver writers than Windows..

Thanks for the tip/warning.
  6. jmw

Grah. Well that makes things much more difficult again.
    But I have more confidence in Linux kernel driver writers than Windows..

Thanks for the tip/warning.
    I was trying to get it working on Linux last night with no luck. At least now I know not to waste my time until the driver is done.

Too bad Apple hardware is so expensive, i'd love to have an ibook. I suspect the majority of treo owners aren't running OS X. For now I will have to stick with Linux and hope that eventually the treo 300 driver will be out there.

Scott, i've got $35 for you as soon as it's ready Does this person you know who's writing the driver need any help? I've got some programming skills to volunteer. BTW, I wasn't complaining about the $65 price, just seeing an opportunity for everyone involved to get what they want. I think everyone here greatly appreciates your efforts.

jmw
    For those who were interested in the Linux driver.. there hasn't been any public activity on that front in several months. Offers on the dev lists for people to help test the code didn't get responded to. Apparently support for the Treo 90 and 300 requires some significant changes to the usbcore which aren't trivial. They may be still developing it and just not saying anything about it, but who knows.
  8. jmw
    For those who were interested in the Linux driver.. there hasn't been any public activity on that front in several months. Offers on the dev lists for people to help test the code didn't get responded to. Apparently support for the Treo 90 and 300 requires some significant changes to the usbcore which aren't trivial. They may be still developing it and just not saying anything about it, but who knows.
    Well, I'm definitely interested in testing! How do i get myself on the lists? Maybe it's about time the project got going again?

jmw
    Originally posted by jmw

Well, I'm definitely interested in testing! How do i get myself on the lists? Maybe it's about time the project got going again?

jmw
    Well, here are the two relevant links from the usbvisor-unix list (http://usbvisor.sf.net)

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/m...msg_id=2017117

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/m...msg_id=2017119

Keep in mind it MAY still be being developed -- I just haven't been able to spot any posts, and the other guy in the thread who offered to test, Jason, hasn't heard anything from them.

If you can locate them, that might be a good place to start.

Let us know if you have any success.
    Originally posted by jmw

I was trying to get it working on Linux last night with no luck. At least now I know not to waste my time until the driver is done.

Scott, i've got $35 for you as soon as it's ready Does this person you know who's writing the driver need any help? I've got some programming skills to volunteer. BTW, I wasn't complaining about the $65 price, just seeing an opportunity for everyone involved to get what they want. I think everyone here greatly appreciates your efforts.

jmw
    I just sent email to the person that told me he has a working patch that he is going to submit. I asked him if he needed testers; I'll send mail to the wirelessmodem-users list when I know more (that's a hint to go join it :-)).
  11. jmw

I just sent email to the person that told me he has a working patch that he is going to submit. I asked him if he needed testers; I'll send mail to the wirelessmodem-users list when I know more (that's a hint to go join it :-)).
    OK, I joined the list. Hopefully there's something i can do to help with this driver.

jmw
  12.    #72  
    Scott -

It looks like we have found a bunch more people for you.

Im glad to see this thing is taking off.

Again, If you need help supporting some sort of online site type thing (that was not very elequent) I am all for helping out and hosting it for you, just let me know.
    <b>The difficult is easy, the impossible takes time.</b>
  13.    #73  
    For thoes of us using W. Modem in the car or away from a wall jack, The USB cable connects to the car charger, just like the wall charger.

Now we wont kill the phone on the road while on the computer.
    I've just bought the software, however I think 50 users in a week is kind of a lot to hope for - I kind of doubt that there are 50 Treo 300 users that use Mac OS X 10.2 that even know about this software. If you really want to make money on this, I'd suggest getting a windows guy to write you some USB drivers.

I know it's your software, you can do whatever you choose to with it and I'm very grateful that you wrote it and are making it available to us. FWIW the ultimatum (if I don't get 50 registered users...) just kind of rubs me the wrong way. <shrug>

Thanks again for making this available...
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
    Originally posted by alex_t_king
    I've just bought the software, however I think 50 users in a week is kind of a lot to hope for - I kind of doubt that there are 50 Treo 300 users that use Mac OS X 10.2 that even know about this software. If you really want to make money on this, I'd suggest getting a windows guy to write you some USB drivers.

I know it's your software, you can do whatever you choose to with it and I'm very grateful that you wrote it and are making it available to us. FWIW the ultimatum (if I don't get 50 registered users...) just kind of rubs me the wrong way. <shrug>

Thanks again for making this available...
    I'm not sure what I'll do in a week; however, I want to see if people are just talk or are actually willing to spend money. So far I've seen a lot of talk (and complaining). I was going to have a Windows person write a USB driver, but decided that I couldn't afford it (I can't afford to spend the money to have it developed on the hopes that it will sell).
    I'd be willing to pre-order a version with a Windows USB version by giving you a credit card number in advance. Perhaps we can establish a list of such people to see if it's worthwhile for you have a USB drive written.

Regards,
    Wayne Cressman
    Originally posted by WCressman
    I'd be willing to pre-order a version with a Windows USB version by giving you a credit card number in advance. Perhaps we can establish a list of such people to see if it's worthwhile for you have a USB drive written.

Regards,
    Wayne Cressman
    Unfortunately I can't guarantee that a Windows USB driver can/will be written and therefore I can't take people's money as a pre-order.

If a Windows developer steps up to the plate and can write one, I could offer money after it is complete and selling.
    BTW, yesterday was the first time I used WirelessModem and my Treo on a trip; I stayed connected in one session for 65 minutes and thought that the performance was quite acceptable for some web browsing, email checking, etc. I had practically no coverage (0 bars) and still was able to connect (interesting to note that I couldn't hold a voice call, but could hold a data call).
  19.    #79  
    Good work Scott! Thanks for the help!
    Has anyone tried to use the software with a Windows 2000/XP/98 machine via a serial cable? Can you report if you have had any success? Before spending $$$ on the hotsync cable I would like to hear from someone else who has tried it!

Thanks for all your hard work scott!
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast