Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Originally posted by intractv

I won't touch the intention statement... LOL!
    Looks like I should watch what I say - LOL.

I am also willing to pay for the development of this nifty new (uh, toy?) application.

Scott has something big going that just needs a little fine tuning.

Would it be worth while to set up a web site dedicated specifically to the treo wireless modem task?

If so, let me know. Shoot me an e-mail or post one here so I can get working on one. I don't want to take away from the good people at treo central but why should we chew up their bandwidth for our project?

Any suggestions, questions, comments, obstentions...?
    <b>The difficult is easy, the impossible takes time.</b>
    A few follow-up comments to my previous post on connection speed. First off the noted speeds were achieved with 1 bar on the Sprint service indicator. I don't know if there is a connection between bars and Vision speed? Also I was able to maintain the connection for approximately 45 minutes with a three quarters charged battery. This included streaming audio for most of the time and surfing, and performing the speed tests and posting here. Anyone else try speed tests?
  3.    #43  
    I started this thread because my goal is to take my Mac Ti on the road and stap it into my truck.

With that in mind, is there a way to tweek the W. Modem App on the Mac so it automatically changes your network to your selected "wireless" option?

I have to go through a bunch of steps to get logged on. - I don't mind - It would add an even cooler function to a cool app.

Instead of opening W. Modem on the mac, then the treo, then changing my network setting, then connecting etc..

why not:

1) Open W. Modem
    2) Open W. Modem on the treo (connected to the mac od coruse)
    3) Click Connect

Done! What do you think?

Is this doable?
    Originally posted by hbsr17
    I started this thread because my goal is to take my Mac Ti on the road and stap it into my truck.

With that in mind, is there a way to tweek the W. Modem App on the Mac so it automatically changes your network to your selected "wireless" option?

I have to go through a bunch of steps to get logged on. - I don't mind - It would add an even cooler function to a cool app.

Instead of opening W. Modem on the mac, then the treo, then changing my network setting, then connecting etc..

why not:

1) Open W. Modem
    2) Open W. Modem on the treo (connected to the mac od coruse)
    3) Click Connect

Done! What do you think?

Is this doable?
    Something like this is quite possible; the Mac application simply loads and unloads a kernel extension (the USB driver). However, is it really that difficult to:

a) Launch WirelessModem app (I have it in my Dock)
    b) Launch WirelessModem on Treo, hit enable
    c) From Apple Menu, Choose Location, Sprint PCS (that's what I setuP)
    d) Launch Internet Connect (I have it in my dock)
    e) Hit connect

I just did this and it worked fine. I'm actually posting this from my PowerBook with zero bars of coverage.
  5.    #45  
    No, I guess it is not really that hard.

I was just thinking of a few things.

- It would be way quicker if it was automated, esp. if driving (NOT smart, I know)

- It would also be quciker if you are lazy like me

- It is also a selling point. Not like there is anything else to distinguish it from, but still...

Anyway.

Mr. Sgruby,

Would you be interested in any help from your now dedicated users?
  6.    #46  
    I have finally been able to connect to the net!
    Originally posted by hbsr17
    No, I guess it is not really that hard.

I was just thinking of a few things.

- It would be way quicker if it was automated, esp. if driving (NOT smart, I know)

- It would also be quciker if you are lazy like me

- It is also a selling point. Not like there is anything else to distinguish it from, but still...

Anyway.

Mr. Sgruby,

Would you be interested in any help from your now dedicated users?
    Thanks for the offer; however, I'm not really interested in selling the product as support is too much of a nightmare. In addition, all this talk of people saying "yeah, I want it" hasn't panned out. While I understand that $65 is a lot to pay for WirelessModem, there aren't any other options and no one has paid. I'll probably remove the software by the end of the week and go back to telling people that it is no longer available...people haven't been voting with their wallets. Software development isn't cheap and at the moment, I'm making more money on other projects.
    OK - I am finally beginning to get some usable bandwidth. Here is what I have learned so far.

1. Do not attempt to enable Wireless Modem if a data connection is already present. I received an error message every time and as simple as it was I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

2. Network settings
    TCP: Using PPP
    PPP: #777 in the phone number field (Everything else blank).
    Modem: au cdmaOne C412S by Sony, Enable error correction and compression in modem checked.

3. USB Modem doesn't show up in Network Settings. Sometimes, even though I follow the exact order of launching, the USB modem doesn't appear as an option. I just have to do it all over again and for some reason the second or third time it works. It would be so cool if someone could come up with a script to launch everything on the desktop side with one command....

Before using this exact setup I could barely load a page in 4 minutes, and now I'm getting much better bandwidth.

So as to my earlier posts, I amend them with these much more encouraging results.
  9.    #49  
    I am quite pleased with the preformance of W. Modem. I understand where you are coming from and appreciate that you have let us play with your app.

It has been a HUGE help and I hope it will sustain me from having to buy (yuck) a PC & air card.

Thanks for the help thus far, and again, keep it comming.

10. jmw
    Originally posted by sgruby

Thanks for the offer; however, I'm not really interested in selling the product as support is too much of a nightmare. In addition, all this talk of people saying "yeah, I want it" hasn't panned out. While I understand that $65 is a lot to pay for WirelessModem, there aren't any other options and no one has paid. I'll probably remove the software by the end of the week and go back to telling people that it is no longer available...people haven't been voting with their wallets. Software development isn't cheap and at the moment, I'm making more money on other projects.

Scott,

You've apparently got a great demand for your product. Have you ever considered that you are charging too much? Since you have already developed most of the software, you should aim to charge the highest price possible, but you must balance that will keeping up demand. It seems that demands drops off to near zero when you charge $65. I would suggest that something like $25-30 is more realistic. I really think you'd make a lot more money, and people would get the product they want.

As for support - I think you've got the right idea - allow people to demo the software, if it doesn't work for them, then they don't pay and you don't have to worry about support headaches.
    Originally posted by jmw

Have you ever considered that you are charging too much? Since you have already developed most of the software, you should aim to charge the highest price possible, but you must balance that will keeping up demand. It seems that demands drops off to near zero when you charge $65. I would suggest that something like $25-30 is more realistic. I really think you'd make a lot more money, and people would get the product they want.

As for support - I think you've got the right idea - allow people to demo the software, if it doesn't work for them, then they don't pay and you don't have to worry about support headaches.
    I agree completely. Charge $29.99 for the product then create a Yahoo group for peer support and troubleshooting. You will certainly get more interest than at $65 a pop.
    While $65 may be considered too much, there are no other products currently on the market like it. As I've said before, if you find a solution cheaper, please go ahead and purchase it.

People complained that they couldn't get it working; now people complain it costs too much. Frankly, the software works great for me and I'm quite happy with it; it has completely solved my needs. (I'm actually using it right now.)

I've changed the price for this week to $35. I'd like to see people vote with their wallets (yes, today is election day in the US).

I'll create a mailing list for discussion, but there will still be no official support.
    Last edited by sgruby; 11/05/2002 at 06:35 PM.
    I've setup a mailing list for WirelessModem users. Goto: <http://www.notifymail.com/mailman/li...essmodem-users> in order to subscribe. Archives of the list will also be stored there.

Feel free to subscribe to it and continue these discussions there. While I'll try to reply to many posts, I can't guarantee it.
    Where can I download the absolute latest binary for wirelessmodem? the one I have is still 1.0.

Thanks
    Will this work for a PC laptop?

I'm considering buying a Treo 300 soon and being able to occasionally access the net on my laptop through my Treo 300 (#777) is very important to me.

I know for Sprint Vision phones like the Samsung A500 and Hitachi P300, all you have to do is hookup a USB connection cable with the correct USB driver for XP. Then do a dialup connection with #777.

Is this the case for WinXP + Treo? Is there a driver to make it usable under Windows? Is additional software also needed on the Treo? Basically, what do I need to make this work?

If I get the Treo, a $35 cost to make it work for my Windows laptop would be fine.

Lastly, can it work via USB, not irda?
    Originally posted by btsipenyuk
    Where can I download the absolute latest binary for wirelessmodem? the one I have is still 1.0.

Thanks
    <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/>
    Originally posted by jshrieve
    Will this work for a PC laptop?

I'm considering buying a Treo 300 soon and being able to occasionally access the net on my laptop through my Treo 300 (#777) is very important to me.

Is this the case for WinXP + Treo? Is there a driver to make it usable under Windows? Is additional software also needed on the Treo? Basically, what do I need to make this work?
    Windows users can ONLY user IR or serial. There is NO USB driver for Windows. Mac OS X 10.2 users can use USB, serial, or IR.

If you get a Treo, you should try out the software before purchasing; there is no guarantee that it will work. The documentation should help configure for IR or serial, but if it doesn't, then there isn't much that I can do.
    Thanks for the answers.

In theory, if one had a USB serial driver from one of the Vision cell phones with USB, could that work with WirelessModem (under Win)?

I understand that an extra isn't a guarantee of it working, or support. Just wondering if there's something obvious that would prevent that.

I'll definitely try the software before I buy it -- it's just that whether or not I buy the Treo at all is highly dependent on whether this works too.

That should say something for demand..

I know someone on another forum who uses Windows and just got a Treo300, I'll ask him to try it out once I get my hands on one of those USB drivers that comes with the other cell phones.
    Originally posted by jshrieve
    Thanks for the answers.

In theory, if one had a USB serial driver from one of the Vision cell phones with USB, could that work with WirelessModem (under Win)?
    Nope. Each USB driver is specific to a device or group of devices.
    Just downloaded the WirelessModem zip, even though I have no Treo to try it out on. Saw the help file -- explains a lot. Seeing that it works under Linux, that might be enough for me. I'll have to think on that one.

Thanks and good luck. If I get a Treo, I'll definitely get your program. =)

I think this is a major deal though. It you were going to list four features of a Treo 300, laptop net links would be one of them.
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast