Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728 LastLast
    Originally posted by cfsully

Let me know if that works, I like the idea of being able to charge off the laptop. I have a car charger for the laptop and I am running out of 12 V connectors. If I can have a connector which is serial for modem and USB for Hotsynch and Charge, that is incredible.
    Yes, it does work. Simultaneous charging via USB and data via WireLess Modem is definitely a "go". What I haven't tested is whether or not HotSync Manager must be closed before using WireLess Modem, IF HotSync is set to use USB only. If not, that isn't that much of an issue at all.

I apologize for not seeing BlueJay's comment before I sent out my message, but the link he provided the to cable is exactly what I bought. I used Mr. Gruby's procedures for XP over serial and it works just fine.

I'm in no way affiliated with Accesory Direct. I'm just a happy customer.
    Originally posted by Lucky_One

Yes, it does work. Simultaneous charging via USB and data via WireLess Modem is definitely a "go". What I haven't tested is whether or not HotSync Manager must be closed before using WireLess Modem, IF HotSync is set to use USB only. If not, that isn't that much of an issue at all.
    There should be no reason to shutdown HotSync manager if it is set to USB. (Make sure it isn't also set to serial.)
    One more word of advise regarding the combo serial/usb cable. The span between the USB and serial connectors is about 5 inches. If your USB and serial ports are far apart (as mine are on my IBM T21 ThinkPad, you won't be able to plug both serial and USB at the same time. The fix is a cheap USB hub acting as a USB "extension cord" that also allows for a USB mouse.

Again, the big deal here is the ability to both power and charge the Treo (USB), while using it as a modem (serial).
    I was talking with one of my friends this past Saturday about how much I love my Treo and especially it's data capabilities (specifically, using SnapperMail for e-mail and Scott's Wireless Modem for mobile internet access on the laptop).

He was intrigued to know how I was using the data features and how satisfied I was with the network.

He then told me that he was on the team of developers who created the CMDA 3G data network that Sprint and Verizon have rolled out. I knew he was an inventor for Lucent and that most of his focus over the past 20 years was in cell phone technologies, but I had no idea that he created the very technology we've been talking about using on this forum!

Regardless, he confirmed all of our suspicisions about data speeds on the network - it's very much like a cable modem situation - the data hydrant is only so big and the more people there are using it the less each person gets to drink from it. Voice and data both suck from this hydrant - so it makes sense that during peek cell phone times the data speeds suffer (i.e. during afternoon rush hours).

His recommendation - tell all of your friends about it. The more people who use the data network, the more demand will be created and greater demands will require that Sprint add greater capactiy to their network - which will mean they will have to buy equipment from Lucent to do so!

So keep using PCS (good job security for my friend). And don't get to frustrated with slow rush hour speeds - it's not your phone, your laptop or wireless modem, it's just a limited capacity that Sprint will no doubt be increaseing as demand continues to rise.

Keith
    Last edited by varoomba; 03/18/2003 at 07:53 AM.
    Hi Scott,

I have been using your WirelessModem program since last November and love it. It really is awesome!

I just downloaded and installed the new version and noticed some nice enhancements. However, I am also now experiencing a fatal problem which never occurred before.

When I click to enable the modem the software shows a new dialog box "Setting Up" then I receive an error message "Unable to open laptop serial port".

What is this new feature and how do I resolve it's ability to "open the laptop serial port"? Again, the previous versions worked great - I would enable the modem and then use the Treo dialer I had created (XP) and connection was established. However, that is no longer the case?

Any advice?

Keith

p.s. I have even reset the Treo and the laptop and the Local Serial hotsync is turned off like normal.

WHAT A GOOF I AM...
    Scott, don't worry about responding to this post - I've solved the problem. When I loaded the new WirelessModem version onto the Treo I didn't realize that it overwrote my previous configuration. The problem was simply that the "PDA Modem Port" was set to "Serial" rather than "Wireless Modem". I made that little change and the error message disappeared and my Treo was back up and connected. I was going to delete this post but then thought there might be a chance someone else will make my same mistake and possibly be hepled by my ignorance!

Also, I didn't realize how much I had grown used to the speeds of the Vision network. While I didn't think it was really that much faster than my old dial-up, I was forced to use the dial up during these past 24 hours w/o the Wireless Modem software working and realized how much faster the Treo functions as my modem vs. my old dial-up.

p.s. I like the features of the new version.
    Last edited by varoomba; 03/19/2003 at 01:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I am new to Wireless Modem and I am trying to set it up for my Treo 270 over GPRS on my laptop. I didn't see any post providing enough information in this thread for me to preceed. Please help!!

Here is what I did: Install ircomm2k on com4, create a standard modem of 300bps (someone suggested in here) on com4, create a dialup connection.

Is this right? What number should I dial? Do I need to specify any extra modem init string?

Whoever help I am going to name my third child after him/her
    you put #777 as the number and you can change that modem to 56Kbps if you want
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Originally posted by FIXER
    you put #777 as the number and you can change that modem to 56Kbps if you want
    Thanks Fixer for replying.

I just tried but not working. Isn't #777 for sprint treo 300 only? I saw *99***1# on my Treo 270
    Originally posted by Chak

Thanks Fixer for replying.

I just tried but not working. Isn't #777 for sprint treo 300 only? I saw *99***1# on my Treo 270
    Yes, #777 is to Sprint only. Your number looks like it might be right for GPRS. I suggest trying to communicate with the Treo via HyperTerminal and sending some AT commands. If you get a response, you should be good to go. You might also want to try a 33600 bps modem.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Hey Scott,

New to this thread and just bought a Treo 300. All is well. My lap runs Win 2K.

1. Would you recommend using your product to enable my Treo as a modem for my lap.

2. If not what product would you recommend?

3. Am I correct in assuming that the only other thing I'll need to purchase is a serial Treo cable?

Thanks
    Joseph
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant
    Hello Joseph,

I'm not sure what Scott would recommend, but I would highly recommend his product - especially if your only other option is dial-up or if you like to use it in the car or at the airport, etc...

There is one other program out there that I know of that does the same thing - PalmNet. It has the advantage of being a USB connect so you don't have to buy a cable and tends to connect at just a hair over 100k (at least in Chicago) where as WirelessModem usually connects around 45K (I'm told it's a com port vs USB issue). It also seems to drop the connection more often than Wireless Modem, however, which can be annoying. I don't know why this is.

I would highly recommend downloading them both and seeing which one works better for you. (Yes, you'll have to pick up a cable from Best Buy [or the likes] for WirelessModem, but if you end up deciding not to stick with it, you can always take it back.)

Keith
    Hi guys,

I've used both PDAnet (http://www.junefabrics.com) and Wireless Modem (http://www.notifymail.com). PDAnet gets great kudos from me. Though I bought Wireless Modem, I had nothing but problems with it and finally ended up trashing it. Wireless Modem was incredibly unstable (twice hung with a flashing screen--had to reload and lost all data on the Treo) and the throughput was about 1/2 what I'm now getting with PDAnet. One other thing I like about PDAnet is that I purchased a USB charging cable. That way, my laptop can charge my Treo while I am online instead of draining the battery.

Now if June Fabrics would just implement a keepalive

Joe
    Originally posted by JoeGuru
    Hi guys,

I've used both PDAnet (http://www.junefabrics.com) and Wireless Modem (http://www.notifymail.com). PDAnet gets great kudos from me. Though I bought Wireless Modem, I had nothing but problems with it and finally ended up trashing it. Wireless Modem was incredibly unstable (twice hung with a flashing screen--had to reload and lost all data on the Treo) and the throughput was about 1/2 what I'm now getting with PDAnet. One other thing I like about PDAnet is that I purchased a USB charging cable. That way, my laptop can charge my Treo while I am online instead of draining the battery.

Now if June Fabrics would just implement a keepalive

Joe
    You are the first person to report lockups with WirelessModem (WirelessModem was started almost a year ago, so the code base is quite mature and stable). I wish you had contacted me when you saw the problem instead of just ripping on me in this forum as I might have been able to give you some suggestions. As for the speed, you're comparing IR or serial vs. USB, obviously a USB connection is going to be faster. Oh well.
    This is for all the Wireless modem gurus out there?

I have been using WirelessModem successfully to connect both my laptop and my Sony Clie NR70V to the internet. Instead of a cable, I am using IR (supported in WirelessModem) to connect my Treo 300 to the laptop and/or PDA. Everything works perfectly (thanks to good documentation on the WirelessModem web site).

I mostly use this setup for my laptop, when I need to get online in a place with no dialup, network or WiFi available. I set up the Clie connection just for fun, and to see how web pages would look on that beautiful HiRes+ screen.

OK...here's the problem...I just upgraded to a Clie NX80V (a great PDA, by the way!). So, when I set up the connection and network prefs exactly as they were set up on the other PDA, the connection doesn't complete. It gets to the part where it says "signing on", the little graphic of the shaking hands appears, but instead of saying "established", it just freezes there for a moment, then I get a PPP timeout error on the PDA.

Any idea why this setup would work on an OS4 PDA, but not an OS5 PDA? Like I said, the setup for WirelessModem on the Treo is the same, the setup on the PDA is the same...and why does it dial OK, and start the authentication process, but hang at that point?

Kinda wierd....huh?

Thanks in advance for any help here,
    PalmDoc
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sgruby
    [B]

Sorry. Tried to mail you regarding this, and didn't receive a response. Thanks for replying anyway.

Joe
    JoeGuru, I wouldn't sweat it. Scott gave me a hard time in these forums because I DID email him (even though at the time his documentation clearly stated that you should). He told me I should have used this forum.

At least you have a solution that you're happy with. I'm using Scott's, and it's working fine for me. My only issue is with the connection dropping after a few minutes. I just configured my new laptop to use it, and the step by step directions were perfect. I was up and running in less than 5 minutes.
    ... a little longer anyway. Just thought I'd share since I got tuned to this solution from reading this voluminous thread!

I started out with Scott's WirelessModem(free test version) and while I was able to get it working pretty quickly(thanks again to the fine documentation on his site), I immediately started looking for ways to speed the connection (using it with a laptop PC through IR). I was getting 30kbs down/10kbs up according to dslreports.com. That search led me to this thread and somebody's recc of PDAnet's app. Well, with the USB cable their app gave me at least twice the throughput on downloads and 5-10x on upload. I'm happy -- I'm gonna buy it.

My Treo did drain to almost zero batt life after 45 min use of the app though so I just ordered a USB charging/hotsync cable per the suggestion of many others.

IMHO, this is a great solution and I recc it for those looking to realize the full potential and value out of their Treos. And btw, as a developer, I sincerely appreciate and respect Scott's effort in this area. He did it early on and has built a stable product. I'd go with it if it works for you!
    --
    jt
    Scott,

Is it true that you have dropped your support on the WirelessModem? Or was that just on the old namesake of this product?

Ronnie
    I just wanted to add here that I just bought the MiniSync Cable from Boxwave that will charge/sync. I connected it to my PowerBook and Treo 300 and connected with Wireless Modem no problems. Now I don't have to worry about the Treo's battery while connected.
    Originally posted by ronbo2000
    Scott,

Is it true that you have dropped your support on the WirelessModem? Or was that just on the old namesake of this product?

Ronnie
    The old name of the product was TreoModem, but was quickly changed to WirelessModem as it works on devices other than the Treo, such as the Tungsten W and Kyocera 7135 over Bluetooth.

The product is still supported. I'm just not active on these forums as I have other things to do.