Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162122232425262728 LastLast
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    BTW I was using XP on my laptop and used the 56k driver. I had no problems at all
    Mark F Chinsky
    Originally posted by mulcher
    Seing you are from notify, you guys might know.

I downloaded your test version, and actually got it to work. With 1 bar of signal strength, I went to http://nyc.speakeasy.net (a great bandwidth testing site) and found I get about 32k. About 30% slower than a dial up modem, but hey, for free it isn't bad. They creme you at hotels that don't have broadband and I don't get much faster than that at a hotel dial up anyway.

I would love to know what people see with card however, as I have business clients who may want to use that option.

Sgruby, any validity to using that other "au cdmaOne C413S by Sony " driver? Is that in XP? I would find it hard to believe, but I might try if I can find it...
    The "au cdmaOne" is a modem script (sets initialization strings, not a driver) is for Mac OS X only. For XP, you need to use the 33600 modem or maybe the Sprint PCS one if you install the Sprint mess.

As for speeds, you'll see that they're all over the board depending on location, signal strength, etc. I've seen between 20 kbps to over 100 kbps.
    BTW I was using XP on my laptop and used the 56k driver. I had no problems at all
    Good to know; it actually isn't a "driver", it is a modem initialization string. The driver is a serial driver that is the same no matter what modem you choose. What I saw is that the initialization string used by the 56000 bps modem was rejected (ERROR) by the Treo; the 33600 one worked fine.
    Now that we are all getting connected, I have read many different connection speed reports.
    I know that many people refer to speed in different languages, so I want to see if people can report in the same way.
    With my serial connection, I regularly get 56k dial up modem speeds up and down. There have been a few times where I was on IRC and was able to download at 3 to 5 times that. I am amazed.
    On the IR connection I have never achieved speeds greater than that of a 33.6k dial-up modem.
    Has anyone any ideas how to speed this up?
    Thanks again to everyone here.
    -
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Sgrubby, the last post before this one would seem to indicate better throughput via serial cable versus IRDA, yet you said in another post, IRDA is up to 115k or so.

Have you tested at the same physical location whether performance is the same? If serial cable is noticeably faster, I wouldn't mind going out and buying it. Would USB work as well?
    Mark F Chinsky
    Sgrubby, the last post before this one would seem to indicate better throughput via serial cable versus IRDA, yet you said in another post, IRDA is up to 115k or so.

Have you tested at the same physical location whether performance is the same? If serial cable is noticeably faster, I wouldn't mind going out and buying it. Would USB work as well?
    If you are using a Macintosh, I highly recommend using USB. If you are using Windows, I recommend using serial. If those are not an option, then use IR. Remember that IR can't use hardware handshaking and is subject to errors more so than a physical connection, so I would expect IR to be slowest. I haven't done any performance testing (and don't intend to as I'm not sure what it will prove).
    Could anyone tell me if they have consistently gotten better than dial-up speeds or not?
    Can someone enlighten me as to whether or not this software can be used to surf the web on a Pocket PC, either "connected" via serial or IR to the Treo 300? Thanks,

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Can someone enlighten me as to whether or not this software can be used to surf the web on a Pocket PC, either "connected" via serial or IR to the Treo 300? Thanks,

Scott
    It should work if you can configure the PocketPC device to talk to the Treo (probably over IR). WirelessModem simply acts as a bridge that lets device A talk to the Treo's modem. If the PocketPC device can talk to the Treo's modem, then it should work fine. Last time there was discussions on it, the PocketPC insisted on sending AT commands that the Treo didn't understand. Changing the modem type should get around this problem. If I had a PocketPC device, I could probably configure it.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Any suggestions as to where to get a serial cable for the treo to connect to a laptop?
    Mark F Chinsky
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    That looks like a hotsync cable. Sgrubby, do you know if thats compatible? or is there something simpler for just this purpose?
    Mark F Chinsky
    If you plan to buy a serial cable, do yourself a favor and get one that terminates with both serial (for the modem) and USB (for power) connectors. Using the Treo as a modem is great, but it drains the battery much quicker than normal phone use.
    I bought mine on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3008861922
    It is the hotsync cable. That's what I use. It also has a place for your power adapter. Actually, it's the only one I use now. I use it for syncing, charging, and wireless modem.
    That looks like a hotsync cable. Sgrubby, do you know if thats compatible? or is there something simpler for just this purpose?
    I bought the standard serial HotSync cable (Handspring branded) from Staples. That's the right cable.
    I bought mine at Staples, it was a Treo brand serial synch cable.
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Bluejay,

Thanks,

I found that the phone drains this thing faster than anything by a wide margin. I have to do an official test, but I don't seem to get much more than an hour talk time (wanna test after 9pm so I don't get whacked)

But yet I can have basejet check every 15 minutes, an ime constantly using data, and it barely makes a chink into the batterly life... Of course I haven't done any serious testing with the wireless modem yet.
    Mark F Chinsky
    Any suggestions as to where to get a serial cable for the treo to connect to a laptop?
    On eBay you can get these wonderful dual USB/Serial cables for the Treo. They can be plugged into both ports simultaneously on a laptop. The Serial provides 'coms', of course, and the USB is not only for data, but for charging the Treo as well.

Theoretically, the HotSync manager can be set to use USB only and then there shouldn't be any conflicts with the serial connection for WireLess Modem.
    Originally posted by Lucky_One

On eBay you can get these wonderful dual USB/Serial cables for the Treo. They can be plugged into both ports simultaneously on a laptop. The Serial provides 'coms', of course, and the USB is not only for data, but for charging the Treo as well.

Theoretically, the HotSync manager can be set to use USB only and then there shouldn't be any conflicts with the serial connection for WireLess Modem.
    Let me know if that works, I like the idea of being able to charge off the laptop. I have a car charger for the laptop and I am running out of 12 V connectors. If I can have a connector which is serial for modem and USB for Hotsynch and Charge, that is incredible.
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
    Originally posted by Lucky_One

For Mac and Linux users, I recommend a sync and charge USB cable. I have one from Landware and it works quite well (after I did a little super glue job on it when it came apart). With this cable, I don't have to worry about charge on the phone as it is being charged by my laptop.