Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728 LastLast
    Very good idea. LOL.
    I think i can figure it out.
    When I get it right , I'll let you know.\
    Originally posted by sinpleminded
    Very good idea. LOL.
    I think i can figure it out.
    When I get it right , I'll let you know.\
    Did you try doing a soft reset on your Treo? Often the port gets held open. I may be totally off base but it is worth a shot.
    Originally posted by Lucky_One

Did you try doing a soft reset on your Treo? Often the port gets held open. I may be totally off base but it is worth a shot.
    While this is a good idea; I think that the most recent issues are errors that Windows can't open the port (error #692).
    Originally posted by sgruby

Following up on my own post; it appears that changing the modem script to "au cdmaOne C413S by Sony " appears to have more than doubled the download speed. Of course, your results may vary.

Is this is to be entered in the "Run script" in modem properties? (WinXP)

If so I get:

Error 659 - The media.INI file refers to an unknown device name

. . .and I cannot connect. I can usually connect at about 35kbps.

Thanks, John
    Originally posted by jomby

Is this is to be entered in the "Run script" in modem properties? (WinXP)

If so I get:

Error 659 - The media.INI file refers to an unknown device name

. . .and I cannot connect. I can usually connect at about 35kbps.

Thanks, John
    My reference was to a modem script on Mac OS X, so this wouldn't apply to you. If you can usually connect, then you should just ignore the information about the au cdmaOne script.

Would it make everyone feel better if I bought a copy of Windows XP and installed it so that I can rework the instructions?
    Scott, as I posted somewhere back in the mid-20's I got this working on xp-pro without a lot of difficulty following your step by step directions.
    Originally posted by WFTarHeel

Scott, as I posted somewhere back in the mid-20's I got this working on xp-pro without a lot of difficulty following your step by step directions.
    I just don't get it; some people don't have problems with XP/XP-Pro with the provided instructions, but others can't get it working at all. I suspect that people have missed a step somewhere, but I'm not sure.

I might have to buy a copy of XP (shudder) just to make sure I know what is going on and can answer questions. Anyone have a cheap (legal) copy of XP they want to sell me? I'll trade a license of WirelessModem and some money.
    Define cheap? Also, do you want home or pro?

I had a problem because I tried to skip a step. I think it was the one about installing a new modem type. It didn't work.

I went back and installed the new modem type and it worked fine. I still have an issue where the connection will stop working after a period of time, but I guess I'll just have to deal with that.
    After much difficulty, I have successfully connected. For anyone who cares, here is a step by step for what I did.
    Treo 300 new/ Sony Vaio Desktop / WindowsXP Home or Windows 98se / Treo Brand serial hotsync cable/ Wireless Modem from Scott /

1) Download Wireless Modem and sync to Treo
    2) Download and install Sprint Phone Dialer from Sprint web site
    I selected all of the devices to install when prompted
    I rebooted the PC when prompted
    3) Turn off Hotsync Manager if it is running
    4) Turn off Sprint Phone dialer software
    Go to start menu options and remove Sprint dialer from
    starting with windows or it will interfere each time
    5) Add a new modem following Scott's instructions except:
    Choose Sprint Pcs instead of standard modem types
    Choose Sprint 3g Phone
    6) Configure the dialing properties according to Scott.
    Be certain to set everything to 57600 when asked
    Everything else is the same from here.
    This worked on my desktop and my laptop with XPHome and 98se
    My speeds heve varied from dial-up speed to about 3 times that.
    Thanks everybody!!
    Define cheap? Also, do you want home or pro?

I had a problem because I tried to skip a step. I think it was the one about installing a new modem type. It didn't work.

I went back and installed the new modem type and it worked fine. I still have an issue where the connection will stop working after a period of time, but I guess I'll just have to deal with that.
    As for the connection stopping after a period of time, there is some discussion (I believe) at Howard Forums about this happen on various phone, so my guess is it is a Sprint problem. Some people have said to setup a ping from DOS prompt to keep the connection active. For me, I always have iChat (instant messging) open, so that seems to do the trick.

As for XP, I probably only need the home edition for testing (as my guess is that the components I need to test are the same on both)...cheap would be about $50 (or a copy of WirelessModem) for the upgrade version (I can get the $99 upgrade from Windows 98).
    Originally posted by sinpleminded
    After much difficulty, I have successfully connected. For anyone who cares, here is a step by step for what I did.
    Treo 300 new/ Sony Vaio Desktop / WindowsXP Home or Windows 98se / Treo Brand serial hotsync cable/ Wireless Modem from Scott /

1) Download Wireless Modem and sync to Treo
    2) Download and install Sprint Phone Dialer from Sprint web site
    I selected all of the devices to install when prompted
    I rebooted the PC when prompted
    3) Turn off Hotsync Manager if it is running
    4) Turn off Sprint Phone dialer software
    Go to start menu options and remove Sprint dialer from
    starting with windows or it will interfere each time
    5) Add a new modem following Scott's instructions except:
    Choose Sprint Pcs instead of standard modem types
    Choose Sprint 3g Phone
    6) Configure the dialing properties according to Scott.
    Be certain to set everything to 57600 when asked
    Everything else is the same from here.
    This worked on my desktop and my laptop with XPHome and 98se
    My speeds heve varied from dial-up speed to about 3 times that.
    Thanks everybody!!
    It's great that you got everything running; however, I don't think you needed to go through installing all the Sprint stuff. The instructions for Windows 98 in the documentation is exactly what I did to get it working on my Windows 98 SE box. I suspect that either the wrong modem script was chosen or you missed one of the speed settings to 57600 (I think that there are 3 or 4 of them).
    Jeez, that sounds like a lot of pain. I doubt I would have pushed through all of that. Well done.

Scott, I can get you either version of XP at half of retail, but it sounds like you're eligible for it at the upgrade price, so I probably won't be able to help.

I guess that I'll do a normal registration of the product since we're not going to be able to work out a deal.
    Jeez, that sounds like a lot of pain. I doubt I would have pushed through all of that. Well done.

Scott, I can get you either version of XP at half of retail, but it sounds like you're eligible for it at the upgrade price, so I probably won't be able to help.

I guess that I'll do a normal registration of the product since we're not going to be able to work out a deal.
    Thanks for the offer; I'll eventually make it down to the store and purchase the upgrade.

If you purchase within the next week, check my signature for a 15% off coupon.

Some people have said to setup a ping from DOS prompt to keep the connection active.

Hi Scott,

I think that this suggestion might have been posted on another forum as I have not seen it on this thread. Anything is worth a try. Even though I have MS Instant Messenger running, I still am disconnected after about 20 minutes of use.

One question - did the person making this suggestion give any procedures for it's implementation? I am not sure how to use the ping command in a continous way.

Thanks for continuing to support and make available this great product!

Keith
    Originally posted by varoomba

Hi Scott,

I think that this suggestion might have been posted on another forum as I have not seen it on this thread. Anything is worth a try. Even though I have MS Instant Messenger running, I still am disconnected after about 20 minutes of use.

One question - did the person making this suggestion give any procedures for it's implementation? I am not sure how to use the ping command in a continous way.

Thanks for continuing to support and make available this great product!

Keith
    ping www.yahoo.com -n 1 -t

From a DOS prompt. Personally I use iChat (on Mac OS X) and it seems to talk to AOL enough to keep things working. I haven't used the connection in awhile (I don't travel much), so I don't know how things are working now.
    Thanks Scott
    Originally posted by slffl
    I just followed the steps exactly (XP and Treo 300). When I click dial in XP, the Status Lights work on the Treo and I can see data scrolling on the debugging lines. It finally stops with an ERROR on the Treo and the following error on the XP machine.

Opening port...

Error 692: There was a hardware failure in the modem (or other connecting device).

Anyone know what the problem could be?
    I realize I'm a bit late at answering this, but the solution to this appears to be quite simple. Instead of choosing Standard 56000 bps modem, choose 33600 bps modem when doing the Windows XP setup. I've updated the documentation (on the website) to reflect this.

(I just installed Windows XP Home Edition on a system today and went through the instructions to make sure that they worked...they didn't because of the modem choice.)

I hope that this information helps some people.
    yeah, it doesnt like 56k at all .. but 36 runs fine. I wonder why.

According to dsl reports i maxed out the 36k bandwidth while in vegas so i cant wait to try the 56k once it works
    Originally posted by rkassim
    yeah, it doesnt like 56k at all .. but 36 runs fine. I wonder why.

According to dsl reports i maxed out the 36k bandwidth while in vegas so i cant wait to try the 56k once it works
    The modem you select ONLY affects the initialization string. The Treo doesn't respond correctly to the string for the 56000 bps modem. Changing the modem script will not change your speed. Getting 36 kbps is quite good; as has been discussed many times, speeds are all over the board.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Seing you are from notify, you guys might know.

I downloaded your test version, and actually got it to work. With 1 bar of signal strength, I went to http://nyc.speakeasy.net (a great bandwidth testing site) and found I get about 32k. About 30% slower than a dial up modem, but hey, for free it isn't bad. They creme you at hotels that don't have broadband and I don't get much faster than that at a hotel dial up anyway.

I would love to know what people see with card however, as I have business clients who may want to use that option.

Sgruby, any validity to using that other "au cdmaOne C413S by Sony " driver? Is that in XP? I would find it hard to believe, but I might try if I can find it...
    Mark F Chinsky