Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1419202122232425262728 LastLast
    Interesting Dolphin, mine is velcroed to the back of the laptop screen !
    Just a couple of things that are working for me.: 1/ during high traffic, turn off all graphics & animations 2/ resize your browser to allow the Connection Window to show. Now monitor the Bytes received & Bytes sent. I don't click anything until the Bytes received finished, otherwise you might be submitting new info without having finished the previous one,, you might be crashing your own transmission. and if you get a blank screen, go back to the previous one & resend. It took me 3 times to send an email, but it finally went, thus the connection was not broken, just acting letargic...hope this helps someone..
    Originally posted by 98GSR
    I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned or not...

For those interested I just bought a combo USB/Serial cable from accessorydirect on Ebay for about $25 shipped. I tested it the other night and I could use my Treo300 with my Win2k laptop. I had the Hotsync manager set to USB-only hotsync so that I could connect to the internet on COM2.

If you plug the USB in it will charge the phone from your laptop's USB port. Of course you need to have the serial cable plugged in to connect to Wireless modem on the Treo300.

So, in short:

1) One end of the cable you plug into the Treo
    2) The other end of the cable has one USB and one Serial connection
    3) Plug both of these in (serial and usb) and you're off! (Your laptop will charge your treo, you have a serial connection for the WirelessModem, and you have a USB connection for fast hotsyncs)

How do I find one of these? You got a link?
    I just ordered a similar cable after reading about it here. I found one here for cheap, except the shipping is costly!

http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage....k=searchViewed
    Scott --

I just got my serial cable for the Treo, and hooked it up to my Windows XP machine. I got everything configured as your instructions specified, and got it connected. I am downloading (via FTP) at about 50kbps.

I noticed that we have to set our COM port max speed to 57600. Is this limiting the potential bandwidth? I tried increasing the COM port max speed to 115200, but when I do so, I can't get WirelessModem to work.
    anyone get the weblink to a win 95 machine?

thanks,

Jay
    All you guy's with PC's are going to love this.

I have a Toshiba Laptop running w98. I got the Ir Cable (have serial on order) and am using the old sprint Dialer 1.1 that came with my startac.

Using wireless modem on my treo and dialer on my pc the thing kicks right up and gives me 114kbps.

Just follow scotts directions for using WM and follow the prompts on PCS Dialer and your ready to go.
    I had Sprint PCS Dialer w/ my Startac also, but of course, I can't find it now. Can I get a copy of the old SprintPCS dialer from anywhere?
    I,m pretty sure you can log into sprintpcs.com and go to the download section and get it.
    Well, I wasn't able to find SprintPCS Dialer 1.1, but I found 3.0. I installed it just now to play around with it, and here are my conclusions:

1) I can't use Sprint's connection manager (aka dialer) to dial because it doesn't detect the Treo.
    2) #1 doesn't matter, because I can dial directly from Windows. I am now using the SprintPCS modem driver "PCS Modem Software", as opposed to the generic "56000bps Modem" that I was using before.

As to whether the "PCS Modem Software" driver will be better or not, I have yet to determine. So far, it looks possible.
    Greetings,

I've got wireless modem working-- like it! But...

I've got email problems. My laptop has trouble both sending and receiving email via Wireless Modem. Am I doing something wrong?

BTW, I'm using a serial adaptor off a usb port. I can surf fine, just have email problems.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Kami
    Hi Kami,

What type of e-mail problems are you having?

If you are able to connect to the internet, then your e-mail problems are probaly related to your e-mail server or your e-mail client, not your connection. For example, some e-mail servers will not allow e-mail to be sent if you are not connected through their internet access system. There are ways around this but they are dependent upon your e-mail host/server. Are you able to receive messages or does that not work either? I'm guessing you're having an authentication problem.

Please provide some more information.

Also, while receiving e-mail on your laptop e-mail client from anywhere is very convenient, it is also very handy to load an e-mail client onto your Treo. It is great to be able to click the e-mail button and pick up your incoming messages on your treo without having to even get the laptop out. Your incoming and outgoing messages can still be retrieved from your laptop client as well (although you do have the option of deleting mail from the mail server - very handy for junk mail - why see it twice!) Don't waste your time with TreoMail though - why pay a monthly fee for a product that is inferior? Instead, check out SnapperMail. It ROCKS. snappermail.com - not a replacement to Eudora or Outlook (at least not for me) but it sure is a great addition!
    Last edited by varoomba; 02/17/2003 at 09:05 PM.
    I've been using the IR link with win2K for some time now. I grew tired with trying to keep the IR ports alligned and finally decided to buy a serial cable. The one I got terminates with both USB & Serial D-sub.
    Problem is that I can't get it to work despite painstakingly setting up the new modem and dial-up connections.
    The status light on the laptop will pulse, but there's no response on the PDA. The laptop never gets beyond trying to dial.
    Any ideas out there?
    Originally posted by varoomba
    Hi Kami,

What type of e-mail problems are you having?

If you are able to connect to the internet, then your e-mail problems are probaly related to your e-mail server or your e-mail client, not your connection. For example, some e-mail servers will not allow e-mail to be sent if you are not connected through their internet access system. There are ways around this but they are dependent upon your e-mail host/server. Are you able to receive messages or does that not work either? I'm guessing you're having an authentication problem.

Please provide some more information.

Also, while receiving e-mail on your laptop e-mail client from anywhere is very convenient, it is also very handy to load an e-mail client onto your Treo. It is great to be able to click the e-mail button and pick up your incoming messages on your treo without having to even get the laptop out. Your incoming and outgoing messages can still be retrieved from your laptop client as well (although you do have the option of deleting mail from the mail server - very handy for junk mail - why see it twice!) Don't waste your time with TreoMail though - why pay a monthly fee for a product that is inferior? Instead, check out SnapperMail. It ROCKS. snappermail.com - not a replacement to Eudora or Outlook (at least not for me) but it sure is a great addition!

Hi, Varoomba, thanks for replying. ...I've had error messages both sending and receiving using the Treo as a modem, using the ISP I normally use at work. This ISP works ok with with Outlook 2002/XP through my DSL at work, but is a little flaky using Snappermail and Markspace Mail on the Treo. I'm experimenting using an SMTP server that requires authentication and increasing the timeouts in Outlook--too early to tell if this is reliable using the Treo as a modem.

I've thought of using the Sprint SMTP server, but don't know if that's worth the trouble.

I agree that Snappermail rocks-- great program!

Best wishes,

Kami
    Kami
    I have read most of the posts here looking for a step-by-step plan to use my laptop to access sprintvision connection through my treo300.
    I have a Dell Laptop, the standard USB hotsync cable and a Treo 300.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by sinpleminded
    I have read most of the posts here looking for a step-by-step plan to use my laptop to access sprintvision connection through my treo300.
    I have a Dell Laptop, the standard USB hotsync cable and a Treo 300.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Unfortunately (as stated many times before), you can't use the standard USB cable if you are running Windows. You must use one of the following:

1) Infrared
    2) Serial
    3) USB to Serial adapter and serial cable

(2 & 3 require you to have or to purchase a Treo serial cable).

Installation instructions and information can be found at:
    <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/>
    Getting closer.
    I have followed all the steps on the website with wirelless modem, however I may be doing something wrong.
    The serial cable I bought is a hotsync serial cable from Treo.
    I used it to successfully install W/M to the Treo 300.
    While using W/M and watching the status light, the laptop light blinks several times as I am dialing the connection. The PDA light does not. Eventually I get Error 692.
    This error means that the pc cannot open the port.
    Another question, if I dial #777 from my Sprint phone using just the voice dialer, should it sound like a modem answering??
    Getting closer.
    I have followed all the steps on the website with wirelless modem, however I may be doing something wrong.
    The serial cable I bought is a hotsync serial cable from Treo.
    I used it to successfully install W/M to the Treo 300.
    While using W/M and watching the status light, the laptop light blinks several times as I am dialing the connection. The PDA light does not. Eventually I get Error 692.
    This error means that the pc cannot open the port.
    Another question, if I dial #777 from my Sprint phone using just the voice dialer, should it sound like a modem answering??
    If you dial #777, it should NOT sound like a modem is answering (because a modem is not answering). The Error 692 means that you didn't set the port speed correctly in the 3 or 4 places that Windows needs it set or you selected the wrong type of modem in Windows. Unforunately I've only personally tested the instructions for Windows 98 and Windows 2000; I suspect you're running XP and therefore I can't verify the complete accuracy of the instructions.
    It is so nice that you respond with so much help.
    My experience with XP is that this does not work.
    As posted before, I have XP, Treo 300 and serial cable.
    The cable is the serial hotsync cable from Treo.
    I spoke with a Sprint rep. today who told me that they did sell a few thousand "Data Cables" for 3g phones including treo.
    With their "connecton manager" software and one of these cables, you can do just what we are all trying to do.
    Sprint only intended them to work with the pay per use service , and pulled them from production after they announced unlimited vision.
    If anyone knows where to get one of these cables, or more data on the W/M, please reply.
    It is so nice that you respond with so much help.
    My experience with XP is that this does not work.
    As posted before, I have XP, Treo 300 and serial cable.
    The cable is the serial hotsync cable from Treo.
    I spoke with a Sprint rep. today who told me that they did sell a few thousand "Data Cables" for 3g phones including treo.
    With their "connecton manager" software and one of these cables, you can do just what we are all trying to do.
    Sprint only intended them to work with the pay per use service , and pulled them from production after they announced unlimited vision.
    If anyone knows where to get one of these cables, or more data on the W/M, please reply.
    I think that the rep you spoke to was misinformed. The Treo has never worked as a modem without WirelessModem. Their connection manager software is still available from their website, but as others have reported, the Treo isn't recognized.

Would it make everyone feel better if I bought a copy of Windows XP and installed it so that I can rework the instructions?